Mum's decision to give nine-year-old daughter a nose piercing sparks outrage—Is she too young?

There’s no denying it: kids grow up so quickly these days.

But while nine-year-olds playing dress-up and experimenting with make-up is common, one mother came under fire from social media users for allowing her daughter to take it a step further.

US mum Meagan Black is no stranger to sharing videos of her family on her TikTok account, but the latest video, starring her nine-year-old daughter Bella sporting a newly pierced nose and thick mascara, sparked backlash.

This forced the mum to defend her parenting skills to strangers on the internet.

In the video, which has now been viewed over 23 million times, Bella can be seen joking around on a ring doorbell camera while sporting a nose ring and thick makeup.

You can view the original clip below:

While the clip itself seems harmless at first glance, some were quick to ask why Bella had a nose ring and why she appeared so ‘old’.

‘Why is she like 9 but 15 at the same time?’ Someone asked.

‘Why has she got a nose piercing?’ One out of many people asked. Some speculated that the nose piercing was fake, while others accused Meagan of being a ‘bad parent’ for allowing her daughter to go through with the piercing.

‘She is way too young to have a nose piercing!’ Someone wrote.

Another commented: ‘Hell no, too young! You’re a bad parent!’

While someone mentioned that no jeweller would willingly pierce a little girl’s nose, and blasted the mum for pushing through with this decision.

‘Shame on you; she’s a child. She’s not mature or developed,’ they added.

Meagan, however, posted this as a response to the backlash:

She also responded to the critics and assured everyone that they went to a professional. ‘I signed for her,’ said Meagan.

One asked which state they had the procedure done because the legal age for consent in terms of body modification is 16 ‘everywhere else’ – and parental consent is needed as well. Meagan responded: ‘Illinois. You can do anything in Illinois these days.’

Many jumped to Meagan’s defence and reminded everyone that people’s parenting styles can differ.

‘Her nose ring is so cute! It suits her so well,’ said one.

‘She is so pretty, I don’t know what the haters are talking about,’ added another.

Meagan also told her followers that Bella decided to get a nose ring because she ‘does not like earrings’, and thought they looked ‘ugly’.

‘About the nose ring thing, she’s nine years old okay. If she wants a f***ing nose ring, what’s the big deal about that? I didn’t tattoo her face, she just wanted a simple nose ring,’ she added.

Finally, to answer everyone’s questions, the mum and daughter duo filmed a Q&A on TikTok to clear the air. You can watch their video below:

Key Takeaways

• A mum has come under fire after allowing her nine-year-old daughter to get a nose piercing.
  • Social media users were divided in their response to the video with some believing it was wrong and others jumping in to support the mum.
  • The mum defended her decision, saying that the piercing was done by a professional and was her daughter's decision.
What do you think, members? Was Meagan in the wrong for allowing this? Or are people blowing this out of proportion? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored

But while nine-year-olds playing dress-up and experimenting with make-up is common, one mother came under fire from social media users for allowing her daughter to take it a step further.

US mum Meagan Black is no stranger to sharing videos of her family on her TikTok account, but the latest video, starring her nine-year-old daughter Bella sporting a newly pierced nose and thick mascara, sparked backlash.

This forced the mum to defend her parenting skills to strangers on the internet.

In the video, which has now been viewed over 23 million times, Bella can be seen joking around on a ring doorbell camera while sporting a nose ring and thick makeup.

While the clip itself seems harmless at first glance, some were quick to ask why Bella had a nose ring and why she appeared so ‘old’.

‘Why has she got a nose piercing?’ One out of many people asked. Some speculated that the nose piercing was fake, while others accused Meagan of being a ‘bad parent’ for allowing her daughter to go through with the piercing.

While someone mentioned that no jeweller would willingly pierce a little girl’s nose, and blasted the mum for pushing through with this decision.

She also responded to the critics and assured everyone that they went to a professional. ‘I signed for her,’ said Meagan.

One asked which state they had the procedure done because the legal age for consent in terms of body modification is 16 ‘everywhere else’ – and parental consent is needed as well. Meagan responded: ‘Illinois. You can do anything in Illinois these days.’

Many jumped to Meagan’s defence and reminded everyone that people’s parenting styles can differ.

‘She is so pretty, I don’t know what the haters are talking about,’ added another.

Meagan also told her followers that Bella decided to get a nose ring because she ‘does not like earrings’, and thought they looked ‘ugly’.

‘About the nose ring thing, she’s nine years old okay. If she wants a f***ing nose ring, what’s the big deal about that? I didn’t tattoo her face, she just wanted a simple nose ring,’ she added.

Finally, to answer everyone’s questions, the mum and daughter duo filmed a Q&A on TikTok to clear the air. You can watch their video below:

Key Takeaways

• A mum has come under fire after allowing her nine-year-old daughter to get a nose piercing.
  • Social media users were divided in their response to the video with some believing it was wrong and others jumping in to support the mum.
  • The mum defended her decision, saying that the piercing was done by a professional and was her daughter's decision.
What do you think, members? Was Meagan in the wrong for allowing this? Or are people blowing this out of proportion? Let us know in the comments!

I’m from an era where even tattoos are rare, and only ever on men. The most piercing a WOMAN (never ever a child!) was, in the western world, to get her ear lobes pierced - never anywhere else on the body. Personally I do not find it attractive. To make decisions about body modification in any way required a personal consent of an adult, certainly not for a minor. In this instance, and in many others, this decision has been taken out of the hands of individual directly affected, and made by another, even if it is her parent. That should not change anything. Some of those things can never be UNdone.

Key Takeaways

This mother is asking for trouble 9 years old is way too young the kid wouldn't even know if she wanted a nose ring its more like th mother wanted her daughter to have one. This kid will be probably coerced into tattoos later on too. A mother should not influence her child in these things so young.

Eve K-J

I do think nine is too young but at least the kid COULD voice an opinion. I find it much more objectionable to see babies who can’t even talk with pierced ears. Now that, I regard as bad parenting and child abuse!

I think they're making a mountain out of a molehill, it's not as though it's permanent she can stop wearing it at any time and the hole will grow over.

That made her daughter look like a tramp in training. Not a good look on anyone especially a very young child. My daughter has multiple piercings on her face that spoil whatever natural beauty she once had. She also has a lot of tattoos that I hate as well. Is it any wonder that she & I don't see eye to eye on many things? We of the very much older era are less tolerant of these things especially when it goes to bad parenting. Yes, my daughter had a very lax hand as a parent, which is why my granddaughter came to live with me just after she turned 12. She is still with me! She will move this Friday to the house next door as a share house.

Reactions: Ian1 and Helenmac
That made her daughter look like a tramp in training. Not a good look on anyone especially a very young child. My daughter has multiple piercings on her face that spoil whatever natural beauty she once had. She also has a lot of tattoos that I hate as well. Is it any wonder that she & I don't see eye to eye on many things? We of the very much older era are less tolerant of these things especially when it goes to bad parenting. Yes, my daughter had a very lax hand as a parent, which is why my granddaughter came to live with me just after she turned 12. She is still with me! She will move this Friday to the house next door as a share house.
Don't know how old you are but I'm 68 and don't see a problem with it, i think people are making a mountain out of a molehill, as for your daughter maybe it was her upbringing that's made her rebellious.

Reactions: Ian1
I am 85 so I have lived far longer than you & yes in my time things were more black & white. But you knew what was expected of you, not like the children of today who expect everything done for them immediately. My daughter had to suffer a father who was cruel to us both but it took an attempt to kill me to make me leave so she had a shit childhood. maybe that is why she has rebelled. We can't know what others go through if they keep themselves to themselves as I do. But now you all know!

Reactions: Ian1
I am 85 so I have lived far longer than you & yes in my time things were more black & white. But you knew what was expected of you, not like the children of today who expect everything done for them immediately. My daughter had to suffer a father who was cruel to us both but it took an attempt to kill me to make me leave so she had a shit childhood. maybe that is why she has rebelled. We can't know what others go through if they keep themselves to themselves as I do. But now you all know!
Yes, I agree. We can be so judgmental and narrow in our outlook and responses, that we are too slow and reluctant to stop and think before we reply. I have to say, that if something is personal and private, please leave it that way. You should not feel compelled to give that up to defend yourself. Like on the Dr Phil Show, this should be a safe place to talk about anything. Have a better day. 😁