Mum's controversial act leaves people divided: What really happened on her Coles run?

Navigating the supermarket aisles can be a challenging task, especially for shoppers who are juggling a tantrum-throwing toddler and a couple of grocery items.

But what happens when a fellow shopper's lack of courtesy pushes you to the edge?

This is the story of Lani, a mother of three, who found herself in a heated debate with the Australian public over her response to an 'inconsiderate' woman at a Coles supermarket.

Lani was on a quick grocery run with her youngest son, Hudson, who was having a 'tantrum' on her hip. As she tried to pacify her child and pick up her two items, she noticed a woman 'eyeballing' them.

'Obviously, Hudson's squeal was pissing her off like it was pissing me off, but what do you do?' Lani said in a video she posted online.

The situation escalated when Lani realised the self-service checkouts were out of order, forcing her to line up behind the same woman who allegedly continued to glare.

The woman, who was unloading a trolley full of groceries, didn't offer to let Lani, with her two items and a distressed child, go ahead.

Screenshot 2023-12-13 075728.png
Lani only had two items at the checkout counter when a shopper with a trolley full of groceries did not let her go ahead the line. Image: TikTok / @thehydefive

According to Lani, the woman lacked courtesy.

She emphasised that she was juggling a tantrum-throwing child and had only two items to purchase while the woman in front was leisurely unloading a trolley full of groceries.

'Me being the absolute spiteful b***h that I am. I took her eggs and bacon and her butter that was at the back of the pile,' Lani confessed.

In a surprising twist, Lani revealed she set the three items back towards her and then, after the woman left, bought them herself. 'I hope she gets home and tomorrow does not get to have her eggs and bacon for being an inconsiderate b***h'.

'[The lady] literally looked at me like Hudson was like the biggest germ in the world. Am I in the wrong?' Lani questioned, sparking a heated debate among Aussies.

While some criticised Lani for feeling 'entitled', many others sided with her, stating that it's common courtesy in Australia to let someone with fewer items go ahead in the queue.

'For all those confused, the culture in Australia of letting someone with two items go before you in the line is really common,' one person explained.

The incident has reignited the age-old debate between parents and those without kids, with hundreds responding that their child 'misbehaving' is 'not someone else's issue'.

'What makes you think that you deserve to go ahead cause you have a child acting up? The world doesn’t revolve around you,' one said, with others sending similar responses.

You can watch Lani’s full video below:

Key Takeaways
  • Lani, a mother of three, shared an incident that occurred at a Coles supermarket when another shopper refused to let her go ahead in the queue despite only having two items and a tantrum-throwing child.
  • In retaliation, Lani deliberately removed some of the woman's groceries from the checkout belt and purchased them herself, with the intention to inconvenience the woman.
  • The incident sparked a debate online between parents and non-parents, with some saying it's a common courtesy in Australia to let a person with fewer items ahead in the line and others arguing that Lani was entitled.
  • Many commenters also pointed out that a child's behaviour is not others' responsibility and shouldn't warrant any special treatment.

What's your take on this incident, members? Have you ever been in a similar situation? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
She should have let you go before her with only 2 items---BUT 2 THINGS ARE NOT RIGHT HERE--1. YOU TOOK HER ITEMS( 2 WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT-----2. YOUR SCREAMING BRAT AGHHHHH!)
and how would you stop the screaming "brat"?

Maybe Lani fell asleep on her lounge one day and Hudson let loose with a permanent marker with kiddie scribbles on her arms!

Reminds of a time in Nowra Woolies when a five year old brat was running amok in the aisles pulling items off the shelves, smashing jars, etc. Where was Mum? Pushing a trolley aimlessly in a heroin induced stupor. But it doesn't end there! Mum is at the checkout on the nod while Junior grabs a spare trolley and runs straight towards the Kinghorne Street exit and propelled the trolley into traffic. Total bedlam ensued with some poor old fella hitting the trolley and cleaning up two parked vehicles in the meantime. Lunchtime entertainment at its best!
Ah parenthood, just because you can breed, doesn't always mean you should.

But that's another story...

Reactions: Veggiepatch
"Am I in the wrong"? How can she possibly ask such a question seriously, in public. Of course you were in the wrong you gormless, parrot faced wassock. You make Karen seem like the Singing Nun. Your complaint seems to be that the other shopper looked at you askance as your child created a commotion. You responded to this (apparently, in your mind) criminal behaviour by taking from her those items she chose to buy. I think that I may have adequately expressed my response to your behaviour above. There is only one other word I can think of, and that is "skank!".
'Gormless, parrot faced wassock'. Love it 😁!

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
If any person can't relate to this Story,
I think they have never dealt with a screaming child, while you do everything
including "standing on your head" trying to calm a child making a "holy" ruckus in
the queue line with your screaming child
telling you in no uncertain terms that it wasn't happy. YOU RECKON!!!!!!

When in our life time, or beyond did we try to quieten a extremely distressed child who was absolutely determined to "raise hell"with Earth Shattering " Screams.
Let the woman go through, what in Earth's Pleasure did she get out of seeing the young woman struggling and not letting her go through.
There is an expression that says "It was just Bloody Mind Oryou could say "Is she Nuts, or does she get perverted pleasure seeing someone suffering". Either way she is sick,or demented or both

I'm glad she doesn't live next door to me.
Not enough information to judge.

Oh! I think you have managed just fine.
Screaming children are parents' responsibility.

If they can't teach them to not throw tantrums, keep them away from other who haven't asked to be annoyed by the noise.

If any person can't relate to this Story,
I think they have never dealt with a screaming child, while you do everything
including "standing on your head" trying to calm a child making a "holy" ruckus in
the queue line with your screaming child
telling you in no uncertain terms that it wasn't happy. YOU RECKON!!!!!!

When in our life time, or beyond did we try to quieten a extremely distressed child who was absolutely determined to "raise hell"with Earth Shattering " Screams.
Let the woman go through, what in Earth's Pleasure did she get out of seeing the young woman struggling and not letting her go through.
There is an expression that says "It was just Bloody Mind Oryou could say "Is she Nuts, or does she get perverted pleasure seeing someone suffering". Either way she is sick,or demented or both

I'm glad she doesn't live next door to me.
Agree ‼️

I came across another quote I feel is inspirational -
“A man (or woman) never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child.” ~ Knights of Pythagora
Or Jewel's song 'Hands'...In the end, only kindness matters.
My view - the first cut was the woman who showed her judgement by way of scornfully looking at child and therefore the mother ... cause and effect follows.

Lani seemed to be quite proud of her immaturity. She didn’t mention if she’d said anything to the “eyeballing” shopper. Just going by Lani’s actions, I’m sure she would have been quite verbal. We only got one side of the story.
True we don't know anything about her day good or not so good. We can only
surmise, in not knowing the other side of the story, but I for one, side on Lani I have been there I have experienced first hand what that feels like.
All of the taking of the food, I would not do, but nevertheless there you have it.

Reactions: Knell
surmise, in not knowing the other side of the story, but I for one, side on Lani I have been there I have experienced first hand what that feels like.
All of the taking of the food, I would not do, but nevertheless there you have it.
Yes, one side, so taking it on face value for sure is the discussion. Yes Brody, most would not take the action with the food items, but I for one would have one or more thoughts like (I really hope her shopping bag breaks and everything falls to the ground - and no-one helps her pick them up, while I walk past and make her feel like a nuisance)

Yes, one side, so taking it on face value for sure is the discussion. Yes Brody, most would not take the action with the food items, but I for one would have one or more thoughts like (I really hope her shopping bag breaks and everything falls to the ground - and no-one helps her pick them up, while I walk past and make her feel like a nuisance)
But, I admit I am not a perfect person.

Reactions: DLHM
I came across another quote I feel is inspirational -
“A man (or woman) never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child.” ~ Knights of Pythagora
Or Jewel's song 'Hands'...In the end, only kindness matters.
My view - the first cut was the woman who showed her judgement by way of scornfully looking at child and therefore the mother ... cause and effect follows.
Love your quotes. Have a happy and safe Christmas!

Reactions: DLHM
Naughty, Naughty, you will get Coal for Christmas. But hang on you, better keep your Coal you might need it sooner than you think. Ho Ho Merry Christmas 🎄

• Love
Reactions: DLHM and Knell
Screaming children are parents' responsibility.

If they can't teach them to not throw tantrums, keep them away from other who haven't asked to be annoyed by the noise.
Everyone is instituted to their own opinion.
Eventually it may get through, we can only hope as the little brute gets the message

Everyone is instituted to their own opinion.
Eventually it may get through, we can only hope as the little brute gets the message
Bloody Spell check , sometimes you love
It and sometimes you hate it