Mum's ALDI find sparks ethical debate online: 'I'd be tempted, too!'

ALDI has been a place where bargains are as common as the shoppers seeking them.

From pantry staples, winter clothes to small appliances that make our lives easier, ALDI shines with the most bang-for-buck options.

One shopper stumbled upon a find that would test the moral compass of even the most honest of customers.

A mum found an abandoned roll of '50 per cent off' stickers in the store's meat section.

The stickers could slash significant amounts from her weekly shop.

She then shared the photo of the roll on social media and shared her ethical dilemma with fellow shoppers.

compressed-aldi.jpeg
A woman found a roll of ALDI's markdown stickers during her trip to the store. Image Credit: Facebook/Annabel Lee

'And lead us not into temptation...Hard to do when you find this on a shelf!' she wrote in the post.

The post quickly went viral and sparked a debate that was equally humorous and revealing.

The mum, despite the stickers' siren calls, decided to hand the roll back to an employee.

Many praised her integrity, suggesting that good karma was sure to follow such a noble deed.

'Good things will come to you because of that,' one commenter said.

Others empathised with her internal struggle.

'My anxiety and paranoid OCD wouldn't have allowed me to do it either,' another shopper said.

'I would totally convince myself that someone was watching me, and now I'm going to jail or worse…banned from ALDI,' a third joked.

An ex-supermarket employee expressed their gratitude on behalf of the staff member who likely dodged a reprimanding thanks to the mum's honesty.

'I'm sure the employee that left them is grateful you turned it in,' they said.

Yet, not all were as virtuous in their hypothetical actions.

Some admitted they would have succumbed to the temptation, pocketing a few stickers for those 'really hard times'.

'I'd be tempted, but too scared to actually do it in case they got me on camera,' another commenter said.

This incident raised questions about ethics in the face of opportunity.

It's a reminder that we face character-defining choices every day.

The mother's decision to return the stickers may seem small, but it's a testament to the power of integrity.
Key Takeaways

• An ALDI customer faced a moral dilemma after finding a roll of 50 per cent off stickers while shopping.
  • The mum decided to return the discount sticker roll to a store employee despite the temptation to use it herself.
  • The post about the mum's experience sparked a debate on social media, with many supporting her honesty.
  • Several shoppers shared their thoughts on what they would do if they found the stickers unattended.
What would you have done if you were in the mum's shoes? Share your thoughts and answers with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored
I would have done exactly what this shopper did....hand the roll of stickers into the front office. It is the moral and right thing to do regardless of how we struggle, doing the right thing matters. Well done to the lady who chose honesty, you definitely did the right thing. Thank you for your honesty.

Sorry it would not have crossed my mind to even touch the tape. Maybe l am a dill, but it would never cross my mind to use the 50% off stickers. The lady did the right thing. Good on her for doing the right thing. We all pay for the crooks in the long run in our shopping.
Kind regards to all Vicki

Its a shame that Aldi workers don't share that moral code. My husband bought spaghetti pasta (in a cardboard box not in plastic) in Aldi some days ago, brought it home & when he went to cook it that night it was full of weavels.
He returned it the next day and let them know how infested it was. He suggested that probably all the boxes would be affected but days later they are still on the shelf for sale. They gladly refund but that doesn't mitigate the inconvenience of having to return the product and also if people don't use it right away and just put it in the pantry at home then they could lose a lot more than just that one item!

Sorry it would not have crossed my mind to even touch the tape. Maybe l am a dill, but it would never cross my mind to use the 50% off stickers. The lady did the right thing. Good on her for doing the right thing. We all pay for the crooks in the long run in our shopping.
why did she even go to print. this one is not an honest one. she had to think first.

Reactions: Littleboy8
Its a shame that Aldi workers don't share that moral code. My husband bought spaghetti pasta (in a cardboard box not in plastic) in Aldi some days ago, brought it home & when he went to cook it that night it was full of weavels.
He returned it the next day and let them know how infested it was. He suggested that probably all the boxes would be affected but days later they are still on the shelf for sale. They gladly refund but that doesn't mitigate the inconvenience of having to return the product and also if people don't use it right away and just put it in the pantry at home then they could lose a lot more than just that one item!
This does not relate to the 50% off stickers.

Well if your a dill then so am l as l agree with you. l found a purse full of money in Red S in Hornsby and returned it to the owner .She was so pleased as it was for a holiday in Tasmania.Years later l was using a cash machine to draw out $500 for something or other and it didn't seem to work so l left it.Later the bank phoned me and said someone had handed the money in.l got in touch with them and them a reward .You get back what you do in life

Reactions: Jo Piper3