Mum says budget vacuum cleaner 'better than a $500 Dyson' – but is it really?

It's easy to assume that your home is already "clean" when there aren't any obvious stains or traces of dirt. However, after running your vacuum on your carpets and upholstery, you'll discover that there is still a ton of nasties lurking just beneath the surface.

That is why in one of our previous articles, we highlighted the importance of vacuuming regularly as part of your housekeeping routine.

Of course, as the saying goes, a tradesman is only as good as his or her tools. Having a vacuum cleaner that is not only efficient, but also extremely reliable and user-friendly is just as important as actually taking the time to use it.

However, you will frequently find that the prices of 'trusted' vacuum brands on the market are much higher than your budget, with some even costing more than $500 (we're looking at you, Dyson).

Thankfully, a member of the popular Facebook group Markdown Addicts Australia has graciously provided us with a recommendation for a vacuum brand that is relatively less expensive and is said to have been doing a good job of clearing away dirt and dust throughout her house.

vc0goY7fRRodUzYq_mWq8x035fRgI-PrXfz9VZF-keb7SEaGZ0zmqJU_e3YBVJTIfWthQOb_wza06Yn2LuQd5hC1DCDmLXY_FvHhcIUEyhr1aTe_mLa5lSOuquyUi1fet1b_UK1IlF8Q8FczaA

The Mum said that the vacuum cleaned her carpet better than the $500 Dyson did. Credit: Facebook.

According to the mum's post on the Facebook group, her MyGenie stick vacuum, which she purchased on sale from Rivers for just $115 (it is also available for purchase online at MyDeal, Catch, and Myer), was considerably superior to more expensive brands that are available on the market.

"Let me tell you, it's brilliant," she shared excitedly on social media. "Couldn't recommend it enough!"

She demonstrated in a series of videos how much hair, lint, and other debris the bargain buy picked up in the drum of the vacuum after she had vacuumed the carpet in her bedroom, which had previously appeared to be relatively clean.

Since the vacuum is cordless and works independently, you won't have to worry about the hassle and inconvenience of tripping over wires (believe us, we've been there...). Additionally, it comes with a mopping attachment, allowing you to vacuum and wash your floors at the same time with just one machine.

But what do other people, particularly those who have owned the product for some time, have to say about it? Is it truly as wonderful as it appears to be?

qRx-c5XDqXjEVRhjlCOhke9TDwoM6zW5xV2qtzyM2Jx17ILNlLGMygvu7hEDbLg1y6SpBZHi8mYqcqg4pOT3sPY-d24tvKFeBmQ-9h3_LEYIX6NwvsufVqFsuUzDKusS6cWs5s6ADTWyuIV-Gg

Credit: Rivers.

In a series of comments about the product on Catch.com.au, one user said that they were 'very happy' with this vacuum. "I really wanted a Dyson, but I couldn't justify the price. This does an excellent job: it is light, portable, has excellent suction, and can be manoeuvred into low and tight spaces," they added.

Another user commented: "It has good suction, even though my carpets are so thick, a lot of the dust and dirt are removed. Works well on wooden floors as well, and I appreciate that the vacuum has a light."

However, they added that the vacuum quickly loses power after being set to high, but overall, it's a good vacuum for the money.

A third user, who rated the product with four stars out of five, also said that the roller sometimes stops for no apparent reason and is difficult to restart.

But not everyone is happy with what they bought. Others went on to say that they wouldn't recommend it to anyone else and wouldn't buy it again under any circumstances.

On the website ProductReview.com.au, one user rated the product with one star out of five and wrote a review. "This little stick cleaner worked for four months before the brush roller broke. I can't find anywhere to service the roller, which is a shame because it was useful for a quick clean of cat hair and litter."

Another user described the device as a "waste of money", saying: "Although I've used this vacuum on both wood floors and the carpet in my bedroom, it still can't even clean those areas. Disappointed in myself for not having bothered to read all of these reviews before making the purchase."

You read it here first, folks! Even though this vacuum cleaner might sound appealing to you, we still suggest that you do a little bit of research online to find out if this will really satisfy your needs.

Best of luck with your purchase, and let us know if you have any recommendations!

• Wow
Reactions: Ezzy, Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
Replaced all of my carpets with wooden floors. It takes me less than 15 minutes with the cordless Dyson to do the entire house, and with plenty of battery power to run 2 times more. Clean regularly and the job becomes smaller and easier. Cheap cleaners, I've tried them all, you get what you pay for. You will only ever pry my Dyson off me from my cold, dead hands.

Reactions: Ricci
Bought a Dyson portable vacuum cleaner once. It ended up in the bin - I have a cheap Black & Decker out in the shed that does a better job than the Dyson ever did - though it too has now seen better days.
As far as the main one for the house goes, against my better judgement and usual principles of NEVER buying something from one of those ads with the free steak knives on TV, I bought one of those Shark upright vacuum cleaners (the purple early model). Have had this for years now - other than recently replacing the main hose on it, I have never been able to fault it. I would never waste my money on a Dyson (or on a number of other high end brand names) when I know how good this Shark is.

Due to asthmatic kids I ripped up all my carpet and polished my floorboards. I have a couple of rugs which I would take outside weekly to air and dust.
My son gave me an $800 dyson stick vacuum for my birthday 2 years ago, my daughter told him I wanted one, but it was her that wanted one to vacuum her car.

18 months later it stopped working no suction at all. Changed the filter ect and unfortunately the warranty on Disons are only 12 months !

• Sad
Reactions: BMKal and Ricci