Mum saves money on fuel by buying groceries – here’s how!

Experts are saying that consumers should expect a steady rise in petrol prices in some parts of the country. Those residing in capital cities, such as Perth in particular, are feeling the worst of the pinch, with some petrol prices peaking at about $2 per litre, setting record highs.

That’s why it’s no wonder that people on Facebook came flocking when one mum shared her tip on how to save up to eight cents per litre when filling up her tank.

eC_SoKYyeRY-4E3__jlyFbgArsX0C-AanKhrlieOuv19OHZaCegiAz1y0rfPUc4AKIxVIwZm9SQn6Hq1kkiQEPkiz0hScpax89aOdov1ZHsB03KwEFXvp27LWkcba8NPYLcjwfQA

Australians are most likely to continue seeing petrol prices increase. Credit: Getty Images.
Lauren, who is from Newcastle in NSW, said that the key to saving up to eight cents per litre on petrol is a discount voucher from Woolworths.

For every $30 spent shopping in-store, Woolies shoppers can receive a four cents per litre discount voucher, which is automatically saved on their Everyday Rewards card. And when the person purchases Woolworths fuel and spends $5 in store, they can receive an additional four cents off per litre.

The mum-of-four revealed that she used the promotions together for a total of eight cents slashed off per litre of her petrol.

“You can use it on anything worth $5,” she said, adding that it worked best for her to buy two 2L bottles of milk for her family. “I do it once a fortnight on payday.”

“Basically fill up with fuel at a Woolies petrol place, scan your rewards card and buy two bottles of two-litre milk,” Lauren said.

“The purchase gives you eight cents off fuel per litre which effectively gives you free milk!”

Surprisingly enough, many people haven’t caught up on the hack yet, and they were gobsmacked when they came across Lauren’s tip, thanking her for sharing it with the group.

One excited shopper recalled: “I was in there the other day and I saw someone buying milk and using her card. The sales assistant said: ‘Isn’t this a great idea?’ but I wasn’t sure what she meant. Now, I do!”

A second shopper added: “I must be living under a rock… I had no idea this was a thing!”

Some people who have been regularly using the hack shared that it works with Coles petrol stations too.

One person said they get up to 18 cents off in their fuel by combining their dockets every time they buy bread, milk, and toilet paper at Coles Express.

And since the items cost the same as they are in supermarkets, many people pointed out that they prefer shopping at petrol stations.

What a nifty trick! Sounds perfect for those small grocery runs, eh?

Sponsored
I don't use enough fuel to really worry about the price. What with the pandemic I don't think I've even done 2000 km in the last year. I do have the $250 pre-paid fuel card from NSW govt for living rural but this year I don't even think I will use it all up.

Experts are saying that consumers should expect a steady rise in petrol prices in some parts of the country. Those residing in capital cities, such as Perth in particular, are feeling the worst of the pinch, with some petrol prices peaking at about $2 per litre, setting record highs.

That’s why it’s no wonder that people on Facebook came flocking when one mum shared her tip on how to save up to eight cents per litre when filling up her tank.

eC_SoKYyeRY-4E3__jlyFbgArsX0C-AanKhrlieOuv19OHZaCegiAz1y0rfPUc4AKIxVIwZm9SQn6Hq1kkiQEPkiz0hScpax89aOdov1ZHsB03KwEFXvp27LWkcba8NPYLcjwfQA

Australians are most likely to continue seeing petrol prices increase. Credit: Getty Images.
Lauren, who is from Newcastle in NSW, said that the key to saving up to eight cents per litre on petrol is a discount voucher from Woolworths.

For every $30 spent shopping in-store, Woolies shoppers can receive a four cents per litre discount voucher, which is automatically saved on their Everyday Rewards card. And when the person purchases Woolworths fuel and spends $5 in store, they can receive an additional four cents off per litre.

The mum-of-four revealed that she used the promotions together for a total of eight cents slashed off per litre of her petrol.

“You can use it on anything worth $5,” she said, adding that it worked best for her to buy two 2L bottles of milk for her family. “I do it once a fortnight on payday.”

“Basically fill up with fuel at a Woolies petrol place, scan your rewards card and buy two bottles of two-litre milk,” Lauren said.

“The purchase gives you eight cents off fuel per litre which effectively gives you free milk!”

Surprisingly enough, many people haven’t caught up on the hack yet, and they were gobsmacked when they came across Lauren’s tip, thanking her for sharing it with the group.

One excited shopper recalled: “I was in there the other day and I saw someone buying milk and using her card. The sales assistant said: ‘Isn’t this a great idea?’ but I wasn’t sure what she meant. Now, I do!”

A second shopper added: “I must be living under a rock… I had no idea this was a thing!”

Some people who have been regularly using the hack shared that it works with Coles petrol stations too.

One person said they get up to 18 cents off in their fuel by combining their dockets every time they buy bread, milk, and toilet paper at Coles Express.

And since the items cost the same as they are in supermarkets, many people pointed out that they prefer shopping at petrol stations.

I just use cheapfuel apps: save anything from 25 - 40c/L without any effort (other than planning your week to be in your car where the cheap fuel is! (Easy for me: the cheapest fuel in town is always at the servo
opposite the band hall I practice at each week!)

Reactions: Ricci and Dave5290
Those dockets work if you are disciplined in what you spend in the servo for your additional discount. Buying milk works well. But the real thing to be aware of is the original price of the fuel you are buying. Both Coles Express (Shell) and Woolworths (Caltex) original price is nearly always up to 10cents per litre more expensive than independant servos.
Do the whole sum...... an average fuel tank is say 60 litres.
The higher original price at Coles Express and Woolworths is 10cents by 60 litres equals $6.00 per tank.
Your discounted voucher is normally 4cents per litre which equasls $2.40 saving per tank.
The 8cents per litre voucher equals a saving of $4.80 per tank AFTER you have spent the additioal $5.00 to make purchases in store.
Neither of these options have provided you with cheaper fuel.

You simply need 10cents per discount from Coles or Woolworths to bring your fuel purchase down to the level of independants.....
Always do your sums..... first appearances are often deceiving......

I don't know if it is just in Logan but the Metro Garages are by far cheaper for fuel than either Woolworths or Coles, especially Coles, even when you take all the discounts into considerations.

Reactions: Ricci and KatKop

This is not really a saving as you have to spend $5 in store to get 4c meaning you have to fill your car with 125 litres before you start making a profit from spending $5.

Reactions: Ricci
Done this for ages ,our local Woolies(Now EG Fuel) advertises buy $5 and get a further 4 cents off, The Milk here where we are is called MOO MILK, but what the heck the white stuff you put on your cereal, in Coffee and Tea , is the same what ever brand it is, and don't jump on my back if you only drink bastardized white stuff. Just like Eggs are stuffing EGGS, they still come out or a chooks BUM.............

Reactions: Ricci
Firstly Woolworth Petrol was taken over by UK company Euro Garages on 1st April 2019. I think it is about time that people realised that Woolworth Fuel is history.
Secondly, by buying items in the shop which are greatly overpriced does not present a saving at all. It's all a gimmick.

Usually find other fuel outlets cheaper than the 4 cents off from woolies outlets. So what with the milk being more at the petrol station, I don't see a savings.

Reactions: Ricci and Dave5290

Really surprised that this is not well known - every Shell & Woollies Petrol station advertises the discount. The Shell one is really good getting 18c off the bill. If you have an E-tag you can also get 4c discount through the Linkt account if you have the app

Reactions: Topher and Ricci