Mum revealed a simple kitchen hack that keeps bread fresher for longer

There’s nothing worse than preparing to eat breakfast only to find out that your loaf of bread is all mouldy. If your bread spoils faster than expected, you might want to try this simple kitchen hack that’s doing the rounds on social media, which reveals how to keep bread fresher for longer.

Perth mum, Carolina McCauley, demonstrated the simple trick in an Instagram video using a single airtight container.

In the video, she places a whole packet of sliced bread into the clear rectangular container and seals it with the lid on top.

‘Use an airtight container with the whole bag inside,’ Carolina wrote, adding: ‘Keep it sealed, and your fresh bread will last longer.’

16Ox9at07LZNYdJmOijdDR0ZNwgSghRqswuA6zuwpckLPZNjOKH62VmpwRxX8XLv5873kq77skGy9UXSfcRjv8qBijjlN65RpAWhmgm2vA8iNmIbe2_1H4iWD1vz5v4aNtpupik=s0

She used a rectangular container to match the shape of the loaf of bread perfectly. For added convenience, the bread was also kept inside the bag, though some commenters questioned this method.

“Why keep the bread bag inside?” one person asked, to which another replied, ‘You can pull the edges of the bag, and it will lever the bread upwards to grab a slice and not put your entire hand in the container.’

“We need this; our bread is always off in like two days,” another woman wrote, tagging her husband.

After four days, the video received more than 24,000 likes from thousands of social media users.

Click here to watch the video.

According to Healthline, store-bought bread can last up to seven days if stored at room temperature, while homemade bread often lasts up to five days.

It may even grow mould and become unsafe to eat, so it’s helpful to know how to keep it fresh for as long as possible. In warmer climates, the bread can also be placed in the fridge to last longer.

Have you heard of this hack before? Or do you have a better method for keeping bread fresher for longer? Share it in the comments below.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 3.58.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 3.58.43 PM.png
    673.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: LynneH
Sponsored

There’s nothing worse than preparing to eat breakfast only to find out that your loaf of bread is all mouldy. If your bread spoils faster than expected, you might want to try this simple kitchen hack that’s doing the rounds on social media, which reveals how to keep bread fresher for longer.

Perth mum, Carolina McCauley, demonstrated the simple trick in an Instagram video using a single airtight container.

In the video, she places a whole packet of sliced bread into the clear rectangular container and seals it with the lid on top.

‘Use an airtight container with the whole bag inside,’ Carolina wrote, adding: ‘Keep it sealed, and your fresh bread will last longer.’

16Ox9at07LZNYdJmOijdDR0ZNwgSghRqswuA6zuwpckLPZNjOKH62VmpwRxX8XLv5873kq77skGy9UXSfcRjv8qBijjlN65RpAWhmgm2vA8iNmIbe2_1H4iWD1vz5v4aNtpupik=s0

She used a rectangular container to match the shape of the loaf of bread perfectly. For added convenience, the bread was also kept inside the bag, though some commenters questioned this method.

“Why keep the bread bag inside?” one person asked, to which another replied, ‘You can pull the edges of the bag, and it will lever the bread upwards to grab a slice and not put your entire hand in the container.’

“We need this; our bread is always off in like two days,” another woman wrote, tagging her husband.

After four days, the video received more than 24,000 likes from thousands of social media users.

According to Healthline, store-bought bread can last up to seven days if stored at room temperature, while homemade bread often lasts up to five days.

It may even grow mould and become unsafe to eat, so it’s helpful to know how to keep it fresh for as long as possible. In warmer climates, the bread can also be placed in the fridge to last longer.

Have you heard of this hack before? Or do you have a better method for keeping bread fresher for longer? Share it in the comments below.

Simply put bread in the freezer. If in a hurry to defrost slices, pop them in the microwave on defrost or lowest setting. BINGO!

Reactions: Kerry J and Joanie.
I keep my sliced bread
in its bag in the freezer
we just take out what we need
as and when.
It does not take long to defrost.
We are near enough to the same, Bloss. I always keep a few extra empty bags around. I buy 2 loaves at a time and halve them before freezing. Just take the bread out, half a loaf at a time as needed.

Sliced bread is best kept frozen but this idea is ok for an unsliced loaf.

Freeze it!

We are near enough to the same, Bloss. I always keep a few extra empty bags around. I buy 2 loaves at a time and halve them before freezing. Just take the bread out, half a loaf at a time as needed.
I'm like you, i freeze in small quantities and when I have to do lunches with meat involved, I spread and load up with mayo, cheese, meat and relish or pickle, then put in bag ready to go, then in freezer, when required I remove frozen sandwich/s and If I want to add salad just put in another bag, come lunch time add the 2 bags together and you have a man sandwich.

Reactions: Placid
A loaf of bread in its package if stored in a plastic container will cause sweating. It is best to remove the wrapper and store bread in the plastic container. Simple method....FREEZE your bread...simples.

I keep my sliced bread
in its bag in the freezer
we just take out what we need
as and when.
It does not take long to defrost.
Yes, keeping in the freezer works just fine, and if you don’t want to wait for it to defrost, simply microwave for 10 seconds

Yes, keeping in the freezer works just fine, and if you don’t want to wait for it to defrost, simply microwave for 10 seconds
Only way to go.....always freeze my bread. Handle carefully because as it goes into freezer is how shape will stay