Mum of three divulges why her family STOPPED using toilet paper – “I just couldn’t wrap my head around why we were doing that.”

As inflation rates soar towards all time highs, plenty of Aussie families are left with no choice but to come up with savvy ways to save an extra few bucks these days.

Every single dollar we spend counts and adds up in the long run… So, it’s best to narrow our shopping lists down to only the essentials.

And for most of us, among those essentials is toilet paper. We always dedicate a certain amount of our budget, no matter how tight, to stock up on fresh toilet paper rolls – but one family argued that it’s an unnecessary expense.

Amber Allen along with her family completely stopped using toilet paper three years ago and they claimed it’s one of the most effective money-saving manoeuvres they ever took.

VQH2hFWLBDI2go_vjQ7uwmW48steth2zVmCcAeyevvbQ7k4Zw5IQ_gwUQm42kPdTvzjg3Co9gRdg9UxvZhuf4rjt810n0rfHnEELCmsaiR48kTmBo8tUPeUY9KmzK-AnPAxBf1yZYj8Gfl6DDg

Most of us consider toilet paper essential. Image Credit: The Edwardsville Intelligencer

“We’ve used cloth instead of toilet paper for the past three years,” Amber revealed in a video posted on her YouTube channel.

“We started not using toilet paper for several reasons. We were trying to get out of about $100,000 of debt, so we cut anything out of our budget that we could.”

The mum added that the other measures they took to save money included cancelling their Netflix subscription and completely stopping non-grocery shopping ‘of pretty much any kind’ as well as eating frugally.

“One day it occurred to me, why are we using toilet paper? We are literally throwing our money down the toilet,” she said. “I just couldn’t wrap my head around why we were doing that.”

Amber decided to look up alternative options to toilet paper and stumbled on cloth wipes online – although “not many people were doing it”, she admitted.

In an attempt to minimise their expenses, Amber thought it was best to cut up old clothes that she didn’t like or were already damaged, reusing them as cloth toilet wipes instead of buying new ones.

However, the thrifty mum eventually realised that they wore out ‘insanely fast’ so she opted for buying second-hand baby blankets made out of flannel.

She estimated saving between $1200 to $2100 over the past three years by doing so.

The thing is, the family still does buy toilet paper but mainly for guests’ use only.

“We used to have a BYOR (bring your own roll) rule in our house,” she joked.

But the family wanted to be more generous, now occasionally purchasing a pack of toilet rolls for guests to use.

hsKbvnvpGkd5fa0xGhd67Hdl92yMhwf8ZYEaRCBo-VqyYTkHuzFyRKM1wzefcoql4hbAce9G3ULyxlyUDnMtOR7Fd7PUhxVAZYtqBnMTpomaVbdrRGz82zucfik4WT8wdFwMyWIERBSbxvnGlQ

Amber showcased her re-used cloths. Image Credit: The Fairly Local Family

As for the family’s used cloths, the mum shared that they store them all in a bucket filled with water “to keep things nice and liquidy”.

They make sure to wash the used cloths regularly, with Amber advising anyone who might want to adopt the same method to “please wash your cloth wipes in a separate load from your clothing” after her husband made that exact mistake in the past.

“There’s no coming back from washing your soiled cloth with clothing or bedding without soaking everything in the bathtub with baking soda,” she said.

But Amber doesn’t look down on those who still prefer to use toilet paper, saying: “Do what works for you,”.

She acknowledged that the entire process of using cloth wipes can be time-consuming.

“After using cloth wipes for years, we are kind of getting tired of it,” she said. “It takes work, but we’re going to keep going, for now.”

So, if you’ve been brainstorming new ways to tone down your expenses, you may want to give this one a shot – that is if you don’t mind the extra work.

Do you think this is a good way to save money? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

Watch Amber’s full Youtube video below:

Video Credit: The Fairly Local Family

Sponsored
A couple of years ago, I drove over an hour to look at a 2nd hand car at someone's home. When I got there, I needed to go to the toilet. They kindly let me use their toilet, but when I entered, I saw that there was no toilet paper - only a dirty face washer on a hook next to the toilet! I forced myself to hang on & find a public toilet. (I didn't buy the car either. There was a bad attempt to hide the fact that it had been in an accident.)

Mum of three divulges why her family STOPPED using toilet paper – “I just couldn’t wrap my head around why we were doing that.”

As inflation rates soar towards all time highs, plenty of Aussie families are left with no choice but to come up with savvy ways to save an extra few bucks these days.

Every single dollar we spend counts and adds up in the long run… So, it’s best to narrow our shopping lists down to only the essentials.

And for most of us, among those essentials is toilet paper. We always dedicate a certain amount of our budget, no matter how tight, to stock up on fresh toilet paper rolls – but one family argued that it’s an unnecessary expense.

Amber Allen along with her family completely stopped using toilet paper three years ago and they claimed it’s one of the most effective money-saving manoeuvres they ever took.

VQH2hFWLBDI2go_vjQ7uwmW48steth2zVmCcAeyevvbQ7k4Zw5IQ_gwUQm42kPdTvzjg3Co9gRdg9UxvZhuf4rjt810n0rfHnEELCmsaiR48kTmBo8tUPeUY9KmzK-AnPAxBf1yZYj8Gfl6DDg

Most of us consider toilet paper essential. Image Credit: The Edwardsville Intelligencer

“We’ve used cloth instead of toilet paper for the past three years,” Amber revealed in a video posted on her YouTube channel.

“We started not using toilet paper for several reasons. We were trying to get out of about $100,000 of debt, so we cut anything out of our budget that we could.”

The mum added that the other measures they took to save money included cancelling their Netflix subscription and completely stopping non-grocery shopping ‘of pretty much any kind’ as well as eating frugally.

“One day it occurred to me, why are we using toilet paper? We are literally throwing our money down the toilet,” she said. “I just couldn’t wrap my head around why we were doing that.”

Amber decided to look up alternative options to toilet paper and stumbled on cloth wipes online – although “not many people were doing it”, she admitted.

In an attempt to minimise their expenses, Amber thought it was best to cut up old clothes that she didn’t like or were already damaged, reusing them as cloth toilet wipes instead of buying new ones.

However, the thrifty mum eventually realised that they wore out ‘insanely fast’ so she opted for buying second-hand baby blankets made out of flannel.

She estimated saving between $1200 to $2100 over the past three years by doing so.

The thing is, the family still does buy toilet paper but mainly for guests’ use only.

But the family wanted to be more generous, now occasionally purchasing a pack of toilet rolls for guests to use.

hsKbvnvpGkd5fa0xGhd67Hdl92yMhwf8ZYEaRCBo-VqyYTkHuzFyRKM1wzefcoql4hbAce9G3ULyxlyUDnMtOR7Fd7PUhxVAZYtqBnMTpomaVbdrRGz82zucfik4WT8wdFwMyWIERBSbxvnGlQ

As for the family’s used cloths, the mum shared that they store them all in a bucket filled with water “to keep things nice and liquidy”.

They make sure to wash the used cloths regularly, with Amber advising anyone who might want to adopt the same method to “please wash your cloth wipes in a separate load from your clothing” after her husband made that exact mistake in the past.

“There’s no coming back from washing your soiled cloth with clothing or bedding without soaking everything in the bathtub with baking soda,” she said.

But Amber doesn’t look down on those who still prefer to use toilet paper, saying: “Do what works for you,”.

She acknowledged that the entire process of using cloth wipes can be time-consuming.

“After using cloth wipes for years, we are kind of getting tired of it,” she said. “It takes work, but we’re going to keep going, for now.”

So, if you’ve been brainstorming new ways to tone down your expenses, you may want to give this one a shot – that is if you don’t mind the extra work.

Do you think this is a good way to save money? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!

How senseless this seems as the cost to wash regularly would far outweigh the cost of a few toilet rolls! False economy!

Reactions: TeAnne
I'm sure that a lot of the material is not biodegradable and will end up in the sea or eventually blocking the sewers!

I think it would be more expensive and I can’t imagine how hygienic/smelly this would be. We use a hand held bidet bought from EBay but Bunnings sell them too. Clean as a whistle and minimum amount of toilet paper to dry you tushi!
Yes. I bought the bidet gun (bum gun) too when the toilet paper was scarse. So much nicer to use and cleaner.

I also have all but eliminated toilet paper. Only used for #2’s the rest of the time it’s cloths.
I soak the cloths in a bucket of water with a little disinfectant overnight and then wring out (urine has soaked out into the water) and put In the washer when I do a load. I did this to reduce my footprint by using less paper etc - one of many changes I made. It’s not gross or disgusting, but I’m a nurse so don’t gross out easily. The upside was saving quite a bit of money and knowing I wasn’t just ‘talking the talk’ re environmental issues impacting our world.

What's about the cost of quantity of water, detergent and other cleaning products used? In addition if you accidentally drop a piece or two in the toilet you may have to pay for a plumber.

Excellent idea especially if we want to save our trees :) Hope everyone is avoiding using or buying anything to do with plastics to save our environment esp our poor sea creatures. Watch History 101 on Netflix episode on Plastics. Very interesting and sad at the same time.

Please can we not have this disgusting story again !!!!

What she saved on toilet paper was negated with using extra water , electricity and laundry products to wash the cloths. It's a no from me.
my thought exactly! I d rather take on another job!

Nooo, this is so wrong on all levels. Bacteria, germs, raw sewage stink in summer soaking in a bucket and is the washing machine sterilised properly after every wash? Come on! I used the original cloth nappies in the 70's and only used for less than 2 years and that was bad enough. I work in an aged care facility and adult poo absolutely stinks, I would hate to be emptying that bucket of poo rags especially if someone's got the runs, heaps more bacteria. Seriously? No way!!

Can't help but think there are some serious infection control issues here. Baking soda is inadequate. The only thing that reliably destroys all bacteria and viruses (not prions) is Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) which will significantly reduce the life of most things including cloth.