Mum furious over her son's experience at Kmart: ‘He was treated like a thief’

With several stores located countrywide, Kmart is a favoured retailer by many Aussies. Renowned for its diverse product offerings and affordable prices, no wonder it’s a go-to choice for many shoppers.

But picture this: A staff from Kmart blocked your son from leaving and being suspected as a thief for stealing, even if they proved they bought the item.

This unsettling experience was the story of a mother and son who were shopping in Kmart Redlands.

On 25 October, 19-year-old Zac, from East Brisbane’s Thornlands, had purchased some work clothes via the store’s self-serve kiosk and proceeded to the exit—only to be blocked from leaving by staff.

It was believed that Zac had stolen the $80 worth of clothes he had purchased, despite his mum, Claire O'Malley, showing a relevant bank transaction of the purchase from minutes prior.

According to O'Malley, staff had made her son feel 'unfair and humiliated'. Fellow customers had watched on with 'judgy looks' under the presumption of Zac’s guilt.

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 8.54.49 AM.png
Claire O’Malley (left) and her son Zac (right) had an altercation at Kmart as Zac was being accused of stealing clothes. Credit: Facebook

‘I feel that he was victimised…they were treating him like he was a thief,’ O'Malley said.

‘He found no help from (staff) who tried to take the items from him and said he could come back the next day,’ she added.

The argument lasted between 15 and 20 minutes, which had left her son 'overwhelmed with stress and anxiety'.

This entire misunderstanding was only cleared up when a fellow shopper admitted to taking Zac's receipt from the self-serve checkout by mistake.

O’Malley shared her frustration about the encounter on social media. Several Redlands residents commented and shared their similar experiences, and supported O’Malley and Zac.

One commented that they blamed the confusing store’s layout, as the checkout kiosks were strategically placed in the centre of the shop, rather than next to the exit.

One community member noticed this and even commented on it. She said it was ‘funny’ that there were more staff when they suspected a customer of stealing when there should be more staff to help customers at checkouts.

Another Redlands resident commented that Zac’s 'deserves an apology' from the retail store.

This wasn’t the first time Kmart received backlash online. In a previous article, Kmart also angered a small business owner for ‘stealing’ her idea of Christmas-themed pool inflatables. She took to social media her frustration, which was watched by many. Read more about the story here.

Key Takeaways
  • Claire O'Malley expressed outrage after her son, Zac, was treated as a suspected thief by Kmart staff in Redlands.
  • Zac was prevented from leaving the store after purchasing about $80 of work clothes at a self-serve kiosk.
  • Despite showing bank transactions, he was told to get his receipt. The issue was later resolved when another customer admitted to mistakenly taking Zac's receipt.
  • Ms O'Malley shared her experience on social media, prompting other Redlands residents to express their support and share similar experiences.

Members, what do you think of this story? Have you also experienced or know someone who went through the same thing when shopping at Kmart? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
When my son was around 6, so that would have been in the 90s, we went to a place called WA Salvage, it was when I lived in Perth and both children loved going there. I don't know if it's still there but it was similar to Bunnings I guess, they had toys and lollies that you couldn't buy in normal shops, so a trip there was always a highlight for them.
They picked a toy each and I got my mummy lollies and we went to the check out, my son was looking at some fancy lighters on the counter and then as the line whittled down he stood there with his hands in his shorts pockets.
All was well until we got outside, a young worker, who looked around 17, made a beeline to us at the open doors insisting that my son had stolen some lighters, I was mortified as there were people coming and going and staring at us, unfortunately I got rather irate, I didn't swear but I was on the cusp of it lol.
The boy made my son pull his pockets out to prove there were lighters in there, but guess what..........There were none, which I knew already because i'd taught both of my children never to steal.
I demanded an apology from him and from the check out girl who accused him, but I got neither, he just walked back into the shop.
I wasn't leaving it at that so as soon as I got home I rang their head office to complain, I don't know what happened to the boy or the check out girl but I never saw them again after that!!

A good reason not to shop at K-mart until they put the checkouts back where they should be - at the front of the store so we pay for our shopping & leave immediately.
I now do not shop in K-mart since they moved into Dubbo & I found the checkout in the middle of the store & then had to line up at the exit & prove to some shop assistant at the exit that I had paid for my basket of goods.

With several stores located countrywide, Kmart is a favoured retailer by many Aussies. Renowned for its diverse product offerings and affordable prices, no wonder it’s a go-to choice for many shoppers.

But picture this: A staff from Kmart blocked your son from leaving and being suspected as a thief for stealing, even if they proved they bought the item.

This unsettling experience was the story of a mother and son who were shopping in Kmart Redlands.

On 25 October, 19-year-old Zac, from East Brisbane’s Thornlands, had purchased some work clothes via the store’s self-serve kiosk and proceeded to the exit—only to be blocked from leaving by staff.

It was believed that Zac had stolen the $80 worth of clothes he had purchased, despite his mum, Claire O'Malley, showing a relevant bank transaction of the purchase from minutes prior.

According to O'Malley, staff had made her son feel 'unfair and humiliated'. Fellow customers had watched on with 'judgy looks' under the presumption of Zac’s guilt.

View attachment 33684
Claire O’Malley (left) and her son Zac (right) had an altercation at Kmart as Zac was being accused of stealing clothes. Credit: Facebook

‘I feel that he was victimised…they were treating him like he was a thief,’ O'Malley said.

‘He found no help from (staff) who tried to take the items from him and said he could come back the next day,’ she added.

The argument lasted between 15 and 20 minutes, which had left her son 'overwhelmed with stress and anxiety'.

This entire misunderstanding was only cleared up when a fellow shopper admitted to taking Zac's receipt from the self-serve checkout by mistake.

O’Malley shared her frustration about the encounter on social media. Several Redlands residents commented and shared their similar experiences, and supported O’Malley and Zac.

One commented that they blamed the confusing store’s layout, as the checkout kiosks were strategically placed in the centre of the shop, rather than next to the exit.

One community member noticed this and even commented on it. She said it was ‘funny’ that there were more staff when they suspected a customer of stealing when there should be more staff to help customers at checkouts.

Another Redlands resident commented that Zac’s 'deserves an apology' from the retail store.

This wasn’t the first time Kmart received backlash online. In a previous article, Kmart also angered a small business owner for ‘stealing’ her idea of Christmas-themed pool inflatables. She took to social media her frustration, which was watched by many. Read more about the story here.

Key Takeaways

• Claire O'Malley expressed outrage after her son, Zac, was treated as a suspected thief by Kmart staff in Redlands.
  • Zac was prevented from leaving the store after purchasing about $80 of work clothes at a self-serve kiosk.
  • Despite showing bank transactions, he was told to get his receipt. The issue was later resolved when another customer admitted to mistakenly taking Zac's receipt.
  • Ms O'Malley shared her experience on social media, prompting other Redlands residents to express their support and share similar experiences.

Members, what do you think of this story? Have you also experienced or know someone who went through the same thing when shopping at Kmart? Let us know in the comments below!
Demand to see Manager or get in touch with the Head Office 🏬

View attachment 33684

Key Takeaways

When using the self service checkouts at KMart in Penith I have found some staff stand next to me or behind me while I am checking out my items. Not cool at all and can feel quite intimidating.

According to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) and Consumer Affairs Victoria, businesses are only required by law to supply a receipt for goods and services which are valued over $75. You, as the consumer, are not required by law to accept a receipt for ANY transaction, regardless of value. Probably a good idea as "proof of purchase" for any item which has a warranty connected with it.

I, for one, usually do not ask for a receipt for groceries. However, there was one occasion when I required one. Twenty minutes after purchase, a pre pack of Chicken Maryland was rancid, so I returned it without problem. Self serve checkouts have a database on transactions performed at any given checkout. Just quote the checkout and approximate time and the assistant brings it all up on the screen as proof of purchase. No receipt - no problem.

View attachment 33684

Key Takeaways

The movie Rainman got it right when he said." KMART sucks".

According to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) and Consumer Affairs Victoria, businesses are only required by law to supply a receipt for goods and services which are valued over $75. You, as the consumer, are not required by law to accept a receipt for ANY transaction, regardless of value. Probably a good idea as "proof of purchase" for any item which has a warranty connected with it.

I, for one, usually do not ask for a receipt for groceries. However, there was one occasion when I required one. Twenty minutes after purchase, a pre pack of Chicken Maryland was rancid, so I returned it without problem. Self serve checkouts have a database on transactions performed at any given checkout. Just quote the checkout and approximate time and the assistant brings it all up on the screen as proof of purchase. No receipt - no problem
Why mention Consumer Affairs Victoria, this didn't happen in Victoria, it happened in Queensland!!

Reactions: Mrs Robyn
Why mention Consumer Affairs Victoria, this didn't happen in Victoria, it happened in Queensland!!
I could mention Nauru's consumer laws but thought it wasn't THAT relevant.

All Australian state consumer laws are based around the Competition and Consumer Act 2010, a Federal Act of legislation. Try another cloud to yell at!

View attachment 33684

Key Takeaways

Yes it’s amazing how quickly staff appear out of the woodwork…but if you want help with anything you can’t find anyone…don’t get me wrong I am a Kmart shopper for certain things and it’s probably a one off situation…but all the same a very embarrassing situation and should have been handled better…did they ask to see the manager?? An apology to Zac would be a professional thing to do…

That almost happened to me my receipt got screwed up in the machine I called over the lady she said oh that's ok just tell them at the door what happened got to the exit she didn't believe me so I said go get the lady at the checkouts she said she can't leave her position so I said so I'm leaving she grabbed my arm I threatened her with suing her for touching me I got my mobile out and showed her that I had paid for it. They really need to put the checkouts back to the entrance

When my son was around 6, so that would have been in the 90s, we went to a place called WA Salvage, it was when I lived in Perth and both children loved going there. I don't know if it's still there but it was similar to Bunnings I guess, they had toys and lollies that you couldn't buy in normal shops, so a trip there was always a highlight for them.
They picked a toy each and I got my mummy lollies and we went to the check out, my son was looking at some fancy lighters on the counter and then as the line whittled down he stood there with his hands in his shorts pockets.
All was well until we got outside, a young worker, who looked around 17, made a beeline to us at the open doors insisting that my son had stolen some lighters, I was mortified as there were people coming and going and staring at us, unfortunately I got rather irate, I didn't swear but I was on the cusp of it lol.
The boy made my son pull his pockets out to prove there were lighters in there, but guess what..........There were none, which I knew already because i'd taught both of my children never to steal.
I demanded an apology from him and from the check out girl who accused him, but I got neither, he just walked back into the shop.
I wasn't leaving it at that so as soon as I got home I rang their head office to complain, I don't know what happened to the boy or the check out girl but I never saw them again after that!!
FYI…an excerpt from an article about WA Salvage…”in 2005 WA Salvage announced it was finally liquidating for real.”
I actually thought they had ceased business before that.

• Haha
Reactions: deni67 and gabbyj
That almost happened to me my receipt got screwed up in the machine I called over the lady she said oh that's ok just tell them at the door what happened got to the exit she didn't believe me so I said go get the lady at the checkouts she said she can't leave her position so I said so I'm leaving she grabbed my arm I threatened her with suing her for touching me I got my mobile out and showed her that I had paid for it. They really need to put the checkouts back to the entrance
A case of common assault right there!

View attachment 33684

Key Takeaways

I haven’t been to Kmart for many years but I do remember how the stores layout was. It’s ridiculous. Checkouts should be your last stop before exiting the store. Yes Zac most definitely deserves an apology.