Mum finds dangerous object in child's Woolworths food—read before your next meal!

In a startling incident that has left a Sydney family shaken and a major supermarket chain scrambling for answers, a mother discovered a 4cm steel pin in her daughter's Woolworths microwave spaghetti bolognese.

This unnerving find has raised serious concerns about food safety and quality control measures in place at one of Australia's leading grocery retailers.

The mother, a parent of two, was horrified when her 10-year-old daughter encountered the sharp object in her meal.

The family's routine dinner time took a distressing turn as the young girl screamed in alarm upon discovering the pin.

‘My daughter just screamed "what the hell" and then glared at me,’ she said.

1721780213354.png
Sydney's mother was shocked by a 4cm pin in her daughter's Woolworth's spaghetti meal. Credit: Shutterstock

‘'I thought it must have been a hair or something then she plucked the pin out of her bowl.’

Fortunately, her habit of playing with her food before eating may have averted a severe injury or worse.

Upon closer examination, the mother confirmed that the packaging showed no signs of tampering, suggesting that the pin was likely included during the manufacturing process.

The implications of such a lapse in safety are grave, considering the potential harm that could have occurred to her children, especially her younger five-year-old son.

‘I am so angry. If it had been in my five-year-old son's bowl, he wouldn't have noticed it,’ she added.

‘And I am so distracted when it comes to dinner time I wouldn't have either.'

‘My daughter plays with her food - for once, that's proved a good thing.’

‘It would puncture the roof of your mouth or slice your tongue for sure. It would have been a trip to emergency,’

The mother immediately responded by contacting Woolworths to report the incident.

The supermarket's spokesperson has since stated that they are treating the matter with utmost urgency and are conducting an investigation with the supplier.

‘We have not received any other complaints of this nature and believe this to be an isolated incident.’ the spokesperson said.

The incident mirrored the 2018 strawberry contamination crisis when needles were discovered in numerous packaged fruits.

The first case emerged in September 2018, followed by 230 more incidents nationwide, affecting 68 strawberry brands.

Queensland accounted for 49 of those brands, with 77 incidents reported. Of these, 15 were considered hoaxes or false reports.

The crisis was estimated to have reduced the farm gate value of Queensland strawberries by 8 per cent for the 2018-19 financial year, equating to around $12 million.

A farm supervisor was arrested, but the charges were later dropped due to insufficient evidence for a conviction.

In related news, an ALDI shopper found a small piece of blue plastic in a Wagyu beef burger patty purchased from a New South Wales store.

After spotting it in her six-year-old's burger, the mother alerted other shoppers to the potential hazard. Read more about this here.
Key Takeaways

• A Sydney mother was horrified when her daughter found a 4cm steel dressing pin inside a Woolworths microwave spaghetti bolognese meal.
  • The incident did not appear to involve tampering at the store level, as the packaging showed no signs of holes.
  • Woolworths urgently investigated this potentially dangerous incident with the supplier.
  • This was considered an isolated event, and the supermarket chain takes food safety very seriously, echoing previous national concerns from the 2018 strawberry contamination crisis.
Have you ever discovered a foreign object in your food? How did you deal with it? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored