Mum faces backlash after suggesting using this recycled item for storing pantry essentials - Is zero-waste lifestyle going too far?

We previously covered how one woman faced backlash for suggesting using an unlikely organisational item to store her pantry essentials because of a potential for food safety issue.

Another case has popped up after one mum sparked a heated debate about her simple, zero-waste tip for organising her pantry.

Sharing the trick on a popular Facebook group, Lakshmi disclosed that she recycles plastic juice and water bottles as 'jars' in her cupboard.

'These Golden Circle bottles are Pearlpet bottles, see-through and can hold up to 1.5kg of anything, occupies less space in storage and I have a water bottle cut in half that I use as a funnel to put things into them,' she wrote on the post along with some pictures of her setup.

'Coffee bottles are where I store all my powders and stuff. Very proud to say that my pantry is 98 per cent reused containers.'

She also added that she fills plastic bottles and containers with dry goods like wheat, rice, and pasta.

_X7QZjbZlag95nYMWnNZQd8-S9shNbm6gG2xfVWpuQPttOM7w5e32L62YET1dxII_Ec47RKTy87w78duHsAeCZqsiRsHOux2Z6ZNjGReXFeoBUVGRtgFzI7tRJXglTOhpLuVmNkmB385Z8315zRTFA

Mum made the rounds on social media after sharing her tip for reusing single-use plastic as a food storage organiser. Credit: Facebook/Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia.

While some group members complimented her 'clever' storage solution, others pointed out that the bottles looked 'ugly' and questioned why she hadn't initially selected juices with more environmentally friendly packaging.

One person claimed: 'Those Golden Circus bottles are not BPA free. Please do not use them to store food.'

'How do you get the juice smell/taste out? I find once you close them, no matter how good it is washed, it always has the lingering juice smell,' another asked.

Some users took the opportunity to educate other group members about the usage of single-use plastics.

One user wrote: 'Be careful as some plastic containers aren't supposed to be used long term.'

'Some plastics are only single use. The recycling number is five, six, seven for reusable,' another emphasised.

A third explained: 'Anything that's one, two and three are single use and needs to be in the recycle bin.'

Despite the backlash, others seemed to support Lakshmi's idea, with some expressing their keenness to try the inventive tip.

One comment read: 'Finally someone with a good, organised pantry that doesn't cost an arm and leg.'

'Best post ever. You truly care about the environment and yet managed to make it look modern,' another said.

We recommend checking out this article if you want to learn more about BPA use in plastics and how it can affect the food products you store in them.

Also, even if we recommend trying out some of the home hacks that are popular on the internet, we advise doing research and finding out if these hacks are safe. In this case, using non-BPA-free plastic for food storage is not recommended. Your health is more important than a tidy pantry.

So, there you have it, folks! What are your thoughts on this? Is it high time for us to stop romanticising the idea of recycling single-use plastic and just dispose of them properly? Let us know your thoughts on this issue!

Sponsored
We previously covered how one woman faced backlash for suggesting using an unlikely organisational item to store her pantry essentials because of a potential for food safety issue.

Another case has popped up after one mum sparked a heated debate about her simple, zero-waste tip for organising her pantry.

Sharing the trick on a popular Facebook group, Lakshmi disclosed that she recycles plastic juice and water bottles as 'jars' in her cupboard.

'These Golden Circle bottles are Pearlpet bottles, see-through and can hold up to 1.5kg of anything, occupies less space in storage and I have a water bottle cut in half that I use as a funnel to put things into them,' she wrote on the post along with some pictures of her setup.

'Coffee bottles are where I store all my powders and stuff. Very proud to say that my pantry is 98 per cent reused containers.'

She also added that she fills plastic bottles and containers with dry goods like wheat, rice, and pasta.

_X7QZjbZlag95nYMWnNZQd8-S9shNbm6gG2xfVWpuQPttOM7w5e32L62YET1dxII_Ec47RKTy87w78duHsAeCZqsiRsHOux2Z6ZNjGReXFeoBUVGRtgFzI7tRJXglTOhpLuVmNkmB385Z8315zRTFA

Mum made the rounds on social media after sharing her tip for reusing single-use plastic as a food storage organiser. Credit: Facebook/Cleaning & Organising Inspiration Australia.

While some group members complimented her 'clever' storage solution, others pointed out that the bottles looked 'ugly' and questioned why she hadn't initially selected juices with more environmentally friendly packaging.

One person claimed: 'Those Golden Circus bottles are not BPA free. Please do not use them to store food.'

'How do you get the juice smell/taste out? I find once you close them, no matter how good it is washed, it always has the lingering juice smell,' another asked.

Some users took the opportunity to educate other group members about the usage of single-use plastics.

One user wrote: 'Be careful as some plastic containers aren't supposed to be used long term.'

'Some plastics are only single use. The recycling number is five, six, seven for reusable,' another emphasised.

A third explained: 'Anything that's one, two and three are single use and needs to be in the recycle bin.'

Despite the backlash, others seemed to support Lakshmi's idea, with some expressing their keenness to try the inventive tip.

One comment read: 'Finally someone with a good, organised pantry that doesn't cost an arm and leg.'

'Best post ever. You truly care about the environment and yet managed to make it look modern,' another said.

We recommend checking out this article if you want to learn more about BPA use in plastics and how it can affect the food products you store in them.

Also, even if we recommend trying out some of the home hacks that are popular on the internet, we advise doing research and finding out if these hacks are safe. In this case, using non-BPA-free plastic for food storage is not recommended. Your health is more important than a tidy pantry.

So, there you have it, folks! What are your thoughts on this? Is it high time for us to stop romanticising the idea of recycling single-use plastic and just dispose of them properly? Let us know your thoughts on this issue!
I use moccona coffee jars to store my dry goods.

Moccona coffee jars are perfect for storage of dry products. Come in two sizes.. Attractive labels can be attached and they are rodent proof..

I've always found glass jars for storing dry goods in the pantry much safer than plastic. Moccona are especially good and they often bring out special series bottles that have lovely patterns on them. There is so much you need to keep in mind to store in plastic like BPA and recycling numbers. It's just not worth it. So many items come in perfect sized glass bottles that you can use over and over. A good hot wash and they're back to new.
As an extra point, I would never let my family drink that much sugar filled bottled juice. Your children's teeth must be rotting in their heads. Good thing you saved money on storage you'll need it for dentist's bills.

My problem with this, apart from the BPA aspect, is the sugar consumption of your family with that many fruit juice bottles accumulated. Fruit juice has such a high sugar content that this is incredibly unhealthy.
Its her family..worry about your own please

Reactions: Ricci
Indeed! And I simply cannot remember ever having taken a photo of mine - nor have I ever inspected anyone else's pantry 😆 Hopefully the insane trend of sharing such totally irrelevant private matters will soon become unfashionable!
Something eg like this one will actually give others ideas

Reactions: Ricci