Mum faces backlash after sharing a video of her 6-month-old daughter eating steak — "Choking hazard!"

A mum has faced backlash after she shared that she lets her 6-month-old baby try steak.

Mum Katie Harley has indeed raised eyebrows after she posted a video of Baby Eliza eating a piece of steak on TikTok.

The 23-year-old mum started a series of clips she calls "Eliza tries..." on the social media platform in hopes to enshrine some of her infant's adorable moments.

The first clip that she shared shows Katie feeding her 6-month-old some pomegranate seeds and a smoothie.

The video garnered over 4000 comments, proving that her young bub trying food is indeed a popular topic of discussion.

However, when she posted the video titled "Eliza tries steak", a barrage of negative comments ensued, with many calling out the mum for endangering her daughter.

Credit: TikTok/@mrskatieharley

One person wrote: "I’m too scared. my wife’s cousin choked on a piece of meat & passed away the day before Thanksgiving and he was only 2."

"Omg be careful mama, choking alert," another added.

A third chimed in: "Choking hazard."

A number of users expressed their concerns over the thought that baby Eliza could be harmed in other ways than choking, with many comments — which Katie described as "bordering offensive" — claiming that the bacteria from the meat could potentially make the infant ill.

One comment read: "That’s not even cooked."

"You mean (you) gave your baby salmonella...I mean steak," another quipped.

A third said: "I just asked Google & it said no rare or medium-rare meat for babies or young toddlers. Their stomachs can’t handle the potential bacteria."

"The only problem I have with this is the fact that it’s not cooked lol I don’t give parenting advice though," another added.

The mum defended herself, claiming that she discussed with her paediatrician first before feeding Eliza steak.

The backlash prompted Katie to post the video again on TikTok, changing the title to "People loooove giving parenting advice to people who didn’t ask".

Caam-yVF3MHfRP8DPkgWemCh7FujqHR6EO7-1mDQRXSpOlh7t9NgjLTAkfJMVzXeGdx0NHX0nTAqGWC4Ex_JvKKkf5j17eQp4AlcGGGi6q8-8jXx915r4mOUEpDuAe-KKvZtTeQ

A barrage of negative comments ensued after Katie shared a video of her feeding her baby a piece of steak. Credit: TikTok/@mrskatieharley.

While a lot of users seem to be against Katie's actions, a number of them shared positive comments.

One person said: "Cute and totally your right as a parent, but the juices getting on the fabric is stressing me out."

"Baby-led weaning is so much fun! I bet baby enjoyed that!" another wrote.

A third comment read: "The texture probably feels good to the gums."

Other parents also shared their advice on feeding infants.

One parent wrote: "It’s okay as long as you are watching them closely. My daughter is 10 m & I give her a whole slice of pizza."

"My daughter did this baby-led weaning too. I think that's what it's called," another parent added.

A third said: "My daughter was eating spoonfuls of caviar at 7 months old. We skipped steak."

For those who are curious about baby-led weaning, we suggest checking out this video explaining the phenomenon.

Credit: FOX 8 News Cleveland

What are your thoughts on this? Should parents be more careful about baby-led weaning and what children eat? Let us know in the comments below.

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
Everybody always has their own opinions on parenting and personally I think they should keep them to themselves instead of criticising others. Mind you when I had four kids growing up there was no such thing as social media so young Mum's couldn't publicise their babies every moove to the world. I think it is very wrong and essentially a form of abuse. Be proud for sure but be private and respectful too.

Mum faces backlash after sharing a video of her 6-month-old daughter eating steak — "Choking hazard!"

A mum has faced backlash after she shared that she lets her 6-month-old baby try steak.

Mum Katie Harley has indeed raised eyebrows after she posted a video of Baby Eliza eating a piece of steak on TikTok.

The 23-year-old mum started a series of clips she calls "Eliza tries..." on the social media platform in hopes to enshrine some of her infant's adorable moments.

The first clip that she shared shows Katie feeding her 6-month-old some pomegranate seeds and a smoothie.

The video garnered over 4000 comments, proving that her young bub trying food is indeed a popular topic of discussion.

However, when she posted the video titled "Eliza tries steak", a barrage of negative comments ensued, with many calling out the mum for endangering her daughter.

One person wrote: "I’m too scared. my wife’s cousin choked on a piece of meat & passed away the day before Thanksgiving and he was only 2."

A number of users expressed their concerns over the thought that baby Eliza could be harmed in other ways than choking, with many comments — which Katie described as "bordering offensive" — claiming that the bacteria from the meat could potentially make the infant ill.

A third said: "I just asked Google & it said no rare or medium-rare meat for babies or young toddlers. Their stomachs can’t handle the potential bacteria."

"The only problem I have with this is the fact that it’s not cooked lol I don’t give parenting advice though," another added.

The mum defended herself, claiming that she discussed with her paediatrician first before feeding Eliza steak.

The backlash prompted Katie to post the video again on TikTok, changing the title to "People loooove giving parenting advice to people who didn’t ask".

Caam-yVF3MHfRP8DPkgWemCh7FujqHR6EO7-1mDQRXSpOlh7t9NgjLTAkfJMVzXeGdx0NHX0nTAqGWC4Ex_JvKKkf5j17eQp4AlcGGGi6q8-8jXx915r4mOUEpDuAe-KKvZtTeQ

A barrage of negative comments ensued after Katie shared a video of her feeding her baby a piece of steak. Credit: TikTok/@mrskatieharley.

While a lot of users seem to be against Katie's actions, a number of them shared positive comments.

One person said: "Cute and totally your right as a parent, but the juices getting on the fabric is stressing me out."

One parent wrote: "It’s okay as long as you are watching them closely. My daughter is 10 m & I give her a whole slice of pizza."

"My daughter did this baby-led weaning too. I think that's what it's called," another parent added.

A third said: "My daughter was eating spoonfuls of caviar at 7 months old. We skipped steak."

For those who are curious about baby-led weaning, we suggest checking out this video explaining the phenomenon.

What are your thoughts on this? Should parents be more careful about baby-led weaning and what children eat? Let us know in the comments below.

I did this 55 years ago. Only eye fillet and only the round part with no end bits sticking out.. And you would never leave bub while they are sucking on this. This was passed down from our grandparents. So its nothing new.

Back in the day we did this with our kids. Somewhere I have a photo of my son aged maybe 4-5 months, sitting in his highchair brandishing a chicken leg. We gave them a taste of everything we had at every meal, mostly they just made a mess with it but everything went into their mouths first. Consequently we had two well adjusted kids who love their food and there is nothing that they won't eat.

We did this with our children, no different to giving 6 month old children a hard biscuit to help with their teething.
Also the nutritional value of the juices ( iron for instance) helps with the child’s health.
Surly the parents that criticised this woman don’t expect her to feed the child gluten free food? Because these new trends in feeding children will be disastrous from them in the future.
New parents should talk to their grandmothers for advice, after all their parents survived grandmas way of raising them with out any I’ll effects.

I did this with my children but never a whole piece of steak. Once they started eating solids I would cut steak into very tiny chewable pieces, mix with a variety of fresh mashed vegetables and this would be their dinner each evening. Seriously can't see what the problem is.

When I had my first child in 1971 I used to go to a Baby Health Centre. The sister there recommended that I try different flavours for my baby.
So we started her out on vegemite on a cruskit.
Next was steak about the same size as the one in the picture. My daughter thoroughly enjoyed all the flavours that we put before her and we watched her every minute.
Congratulations to this Mum for trying something different and for sharing it and for believing in what she is doing.
Her baby is having a wonderful experience.
Don’t knock it till you try it.
I raised my two children with the help of the Sister, her name was Joy and she became part of my family. My “children” are now 52 and 47.
Healthy, happy and with children of their own,
8 altogether and yes, they all tried the steak method as well as a lot of other meats.

My kids now have kids and they doing the baby-lugini thing.... we used to give them the chicken leg bone (with everything taken off it) to chew with their gums.. it gave them flavour and nothing to choke on as they could hold it while they gummed it. . . But I do worry that people might think anything is ok for them to try and they do actually pull off a chunk that lodges in the throat ... or they go to put the next load in the washer and child is unsupervised.... and do these mums know how to respond if something is lodged in the throat or how to do CPR? that's important...

We used to give our children a cutlet, just leaving enough meat for them to munch on. Wth their tiny teeth they would take little nibbles (naturally they were always supervised) and most of the time it was just sucking or in some case’s gumming the meat. As long as they got the nutrients they needed. We had 5 children born between 1974-1980, they are all healthy 4 boys 1 girl ( although we did lose a 20 year old when he was fighting bushfires)