Mum demands compensation after shocking Kmart baking dish incident

For many homeowners, nothing gets between them and their kitchenware—they've become used to relying on their trusty cookware to get the job done, no matter how tricky it may be.

Sadly, there are times when this trust is broken, and we're reminded that although many brands of cookware are indeed trustworthy, it's always wise to be aware of what's on the market and never be afraid to stand up for yourself when things don't go quite as planned.

Recently, a Kmart shopper experienced the perils of trusting a product from the 'household essentials' store and took to the Kmart Hacks and Decor Facebook page to share her story.

The woman, whose name is Tricia, posted an alarming image of a kitchen disaster in which the ceramic baking dish she had been using for over a year suddenly 'exploded', splattering her home-cooked dinner all over the place—and leaving her with a nasty cut in the process.

compressed-Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 9.15.17 AM.jpeg
A woman has taken to social media after a popular kitchen item shattered in her hands, leaving her dinner splattered all over the floor. Credit: Facebook.

'My baking dish exploded,' she wrote.

'I have been using this for over a year with no problem! I took it out of the oven, and it just went nuts… Kmart owes me what I have lost in food!'

The post quickly spread through the Kmart social media pages, with hundreds of reactions and comments in which several people shared similar experiences over the years.

'One of my Kmart dishes did the same thing a few years ago. I don't buy their baking dishes anymore,' one person wrote.

Another commented, 'Mine did the same thing but while it was in the oven…'

Another group member shared their experience, saying, 'I had a wok type dish with lid and the lid shattered into my meal also from Kmart. Didn't get anything back as I didn't have my receipt as it was over a year old.'

One woman expressed her concern, saying, 'I've never trusted Kmart products like this. I always buy quality cookware, and it lasts forever!'

There were also inquiries about the potential damage to the floor, and Tricia confirmed, 'Yes, there are dents.'

Some suggested that Tricia contact the store and demand compensation, while others advised her to keep her old receipt as proof of purchase and age, as this could help her case if anything were to happen.

Key Takeaways

• A customer named Tricia reported her Kmart baking dish shattered in her hands, scattering her meal and shards of ceramic everywhere.
  • Tricia shared a photo of the scene, including her cut finger, and expressed her expectation for Kmart to compensate for her lost food.
  • The post attracted considerable reaction, with hundreds of responses and comments, many of which shared similar experiences with Kmart products.
  • Some suggested that Kmart should be made aware and recall the product, while others commented that after more than a year of use, it might be categorised as wear and tear unless a more extended warranty is provided.

While a mistake such as what happened to Tricia could simply have been a fluke occurrence out of anyone's control, it's still worth remembering that safety must come first—no matter how much money you save or the convenience you guarantee with a product.

So, members, we urge you to be careful when buying kitchenware—even from a brand as popular as Kmart. Always read up on user reviews of the products you buy, and contact customer service if you have any concerns about a product you've already purchased.

Have you had any similar experiences? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
You cant blame Kmart for the dish if you had been using it for over a year, we had the same thing happen with a dish my husband bought and he didn't even realise it was ceramic until it broke, and he says he still misses that dish. We also have Pyrex and corning ware, that are as old as the hills one of the good one met an untimely end the other week from sudden impact with the floor. It was after it had been cleaned, of course.

I have 13 kids and 19 grandkids so far. I love now when we have a family BBQ that all my daughters make a dish or 2 , I have 8 daughters
My passion is cooking and I'm happy to see most of my daughters and 2 sons have my passion for cooking
Wow! We could have a mega party.

Reactions: Ezzy and Leenie
How very, very rude of you. How can you be like that when a) you haven’t tasted the food, b) you do not know what it is, c) you don’t know how much time, effort and ingredients she put in it and c) the food is all over her floor so you do t know what it is. All I can say to you again it that YOU ARE VERY, VERY RUDE.
Very ride indeed!☹️

Reactions: Ezzy
For many homeowners, nothing gets between them and their kitchenware—they've become used to relying on their trusty cookware to get the job done, no matter how tricky it may be.

Sadly, there are times when this trust is broken, and we're reminded that although many brands of cookware are indeed trustworthy, it's always wise to be aware of what's on the market and never be afraid to stand up for yourself when things don't go quite as planned.

Recently, a Kmart shopper experienced the perils of trusting a product from the 'household essentials' store and took to the Kmart Hacks and Decor Facebook page to share her story.

The woman, whose name is Tricia, posted an alarming image of a kitchen disaster in which the ceramic baking dish she had been using for over a year suddenly 'exploded', splattering her home-cooked dinner all over the place—and leaving her with a nasty cut in the process.

View attachment 27206
A woman has taken to social media after a popular kitchen item shattered in her hands, leaving her dinner splattered all over the floor. Credit: Facebook.

'My baking dish exploded,' she wrote.

'I have been using this for over a year with no problem! I took it out of the oven, and it just went nuts… Kmart owes me what I have lost in food!'

The post quickly spread through the Kmart social media pages, with hundreds of reactions and comments in which several people shared similar experiences over the years.

'One of my Kmart dishes did the same thing a few years ago. I don't buy their baking dishes anymore,' one person wrote.

Another commented, 'Mine did the same thing but while it was in the oven…'

Another group member shared their experience, saying, 'I had a wok type dish with lid and the lid shattered into my meal also from Kmart. Didn't get anything back as I didn't have my receipt as it was over a year old.'

One woman expressed her concern, saying, 'I've never trusted Kmart products like this. I always buy quality cookware, and it lasts forever!'

There were also inquiries about the potential damage to the floor, and Tricia confirmed, 'Yes, there are dents.'

Some suggested that Tricia contact the store and demand compensation, while others advised her to keep her old receipt as proof of purchase and age, as this could help her case if anything were to happen.

Key Takeaways

• A customer named Tricia reported her Kmart baking dish shattered in her hands, scattering her meal and shards of ceramic everywhere.
  • Tricia shared a photo of the scene, including her cut finger, and expressed her expectation for Kmart to compensate for her lost food.
  • The post attracted considerable reaction, with hundreds of responses and comments, many of which shared similar experiences with Kmart products.
  • Some suggested that Kmart should be made aware and recall the product, while others commented that after more than a year of use, it might be categorised as wear and tear unless a more extended warranty is provided.

While a mistake such as what happened to Tricia could simply have been a fluke occurrence out of anyone's control, it's still worth remembering that safety must come first—no matter how much money you save or the convenience you guarantee with a product.

So, members, we urge you to be careful when buying kitchenware—even from a brand as popular as Kmart. Always read up on user reviews of the products you buy, and contact customer service if you have any concerns about a product you've already purchased.

Have you had any similar experiences? Share them with us in the comments below!
My practice is to retain the box and keep the receipt inside it .. if any disaster happens and it's beyond a year after purchase then i consider it my problem but if within a12 month then it's the suppliers and brand problem. I'm also hugely cautious that i never place them on the sink unless i have a large wooden board beneath it or a number of tea towels there and on the glass stove top if that's where i intended placing the item. Thank you for sharing the post to alert members. 😊

Reactions: Ezzy