Mum demands compensation after shocking Kmart baking dish incident

For many homeowners, nothing gets between them and their kitchenware—they've become used to relying on their trusty cookware to get the job done, no matter how tricky it may be.

Sadly, there are times when this trust is broken, and we're reminded that although many brands of cookware are indeed trustworthy, it's always wise to be aware of what's on the market and never be afraid to stand up for yourself when things don't go quite as planned.

Recently, a Kmart shopper experienced the perils of trusting a product from the 'household essentials' store and took to the Kmart Hacks and Decor Facebook page to share her story.

The woman, whose name is Tricia, posted an alarming image of a kitchen disaster in which the ceramic baking dish she had been using for over a year suddenly 'exploded', splattering her home-cooked dinner all over the place—and leaving her with a nasty cut in the process.

compressed-Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 9.15.17 AM.jpeg
A woman has taken to social media after a popular kitchen item shattered in her hands, leaving her dinner splattered all over the floor. Credit: Facebook.

'My baking dish exploded,' she wrote.

'I have been using this for over a year with no problem! I took it out of the oven, and it just went nuts… Kmart owes me what I have lost in food!'

The post quickly spread through the Kmart social media pages, with hundreds of reactions and comments in which several people shared similar experiences over the years.

'One of my Kmart dishes did the same thing a few years ago. I don't buy their baking dishes anymore,' one person wrote.

Another commented, 'Mine did the same thing but while it was in the oven…'

Another group member shared their experience, saying, 'I had a wok type dish with lid and the lid shattered into my meal also from Kmart. Didn't get anything back as I didn't have my receipt as it was over a year old.'

One woman expressed her concern, saying, 'I've never trusted Kmart products like this. I always buy quality cookware, and it lasts forever!'

There were also inquiries about the potential damage to the floor, and Tricia confirmed, 'Yes, there are dents.'

Some suggested that Tricia contact the store and demand compensation, while others advised her to keep her old receipt as proof of purchase and age, as this could help her case if anything were to happen.

Key Takeaways

• A customer named Tricia reported her Kmart baking dish shattered in her hands, scattering her meal and shards of ceramic everywhere.
  • Tricia shared a photo of the scene, including her cut finger, and expressed her expectation for Kmart to compensate for her lost food.
  • The post attracted considerable reaction, with hundreds of responses and comments, many of which shared similar experiences with Kmart products.
  • Some suggested that Kmart should be made aware and recall the product, while others commented that after more than a year of use, it might be categorised as wear and tear unless a more extended warranty is provided.

While a mistake such as what happened to Tricia could simply have been a fluke occurrence out of anyone's control, it's still worth remembering that safety must come first—no matter how much money you save or the convenience you guarantee with a product.

So, members, we urge you to be careful when buying kitchenware—even from a brand as popular as Kmart. Always read up on user reviews of the products you buy, and contact customer service if you have any concerns about a product you've already purchased.

Have you had any similar experiences? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
For many homeowners, nothing gets between them and their kitchenware—they've become used to relying on their trusty cookware to get the job done, no matter how tricky it may be.

Sadly, there are times when this trust is broken, and we're reminded that although many brands of cookware are indeed trustworthy, it's always wise to be aware of what's on the market and never be afraid to stand up for yourself when things don't go quite as planned.

Recently, a Kmart shopper experienced the perils of trusting a product from the 'household essentials' store and took to the Kmart Hacks and Decor Facebook page to share her story.

The woman, whose name is Tricia, posted an alarming image of a kitchen disaster in which the ceramic baking dish she had been using for over a year suddenly 'exploded', splattering her home-cooked dinner all over the place—and leaving her with a nasty cut in the process.

View attachment 27206
A woman has taken to social media after a popular kitchen item shattered in her hands, leaving her dinner splattered all over the floor. Credit: Facebook.

'I have been using this for over a year with no problem! I took it out of the oven, and it just went nuts… Kmart owes me what I have lost in food!'

The post quickly spread through the Kmart social media pages, with hundreds of reactions and comments in which several people shared similar experiences over the years.

'One of my Kmart dishes did the same thing a few years ago. I don't buy their baking dishes anymore,' one person wrote.

Another group member shared their experience, saying, 'I had a wok type dish with lid and the lid shattered into my meal also from Kmart. Didn't get anything back as I didn't have my receipt as it was over a year old.'

One woman expressed her concern, saying, 'I've never trusted Kmart products like this. I always buy quality cookware, and it lasts forever!'

There were also inquiries about the potential damage to the floor, and Tricia confirmed, 'Yes, there are dents.'

Some suggested that Tricia contact the store and demand compensation, while others advised her to keep her old receipt as proof of purchase and age, as this could help her case if anything were to happen.

Key Takeaways

• A customer named Tricia reported her Kmart baking dish shattered in her hands, scattering her meal and shards of ceramic everywhere.
  • Tricia shared a photo of the scene, including her cut finger, and expressed her expectation for Kmart to compensate for her lost food.
  • The post attracted considerable reaction, with hundreds of responses and comments, many of which shared similar experiences with Kmart products.
  • Some suggested that Kmart should be made aware and recall the product, while others commented that after more than a year of use, it might be categorised as wear and tear unless a more extended warranty is provided.

While a mistake such as what happened to Tricia could simply have been a fluke occurrence out of anyone's control, it's still worth remembering that safety must come first—no matter how much money you save or the convenience you guarantee with a product.

So, members, we urge you to be careful when buying kitchenware—even from a brand as popular as Kmart. Always read up on user reviews of the products you buy, and contact customer service if you have any concerns about a product you've already purchased.

I have a kettle I bought from Kmart about 4 years ago. Recently my fuse box kept triggering, I couldn't work out what had set it off. The electrician came and mentioned either the kettle or fridge. I unplugged everything in the evening and in the morning when I put on the kettle it triggered again. I've since stopped using the kettle even though it's relatively new. It's the only appliance that has triggered the switch. I will be taking it back to Kmart to see what they say. Marian

I have a 4-pc set (8 pcs with clear lids), of the cornflower blue cookware by Corningware. They are almost 56 years old. A wedding present from a workmate. No chips, no cracks and only some brown marks where some internal scratches are (could be cleaned easily with vinegar & bi-carb). Don’t believe the prices you see on eBay and other sites - you do not get those prices - but they are worth a bit if someone wants to buy. I’ve seen mine advertised for thousands but in reality you cannot get those prices.

Reactions: Ezzy
Under Australian consumer laws you expect any product you buy to last a certain time.
Be safe to use and beyond these short warrantee these companies try to push onto use.
I would get onto Consumer Protection and they would help you.
I'm sorry it happened to you and be glad you didn't have more serious injuries.

Reactions: Ezzy and Leenie
I’m sure after a year of use - if there was a warranty with the baking dish, then it would be obsolete.
Once again you only get what you pay for…I have inherited a set of Pyrex baking dishes ( which I do use constantly) that are well over fifty years old…
Yes I am happy with my Pyrex Ware too :)

There's a really great food scientist called Anne Reardon who does a You Tube channel called How To Cook That. Recently she did an episode on Corningware and how it can explode. It's quite scary but definitely worth watching to learn more about the dangers of some cookware.
Thanks for the tip

It’s mainly the presentation. Not an artistic bone in my body and ends up looking like the chooks got in on the act.
Stop putting yourself down , I would love to see what you cook abd I'm sure many would be happy to eat it.
It's really not hard Cooking. I would be more than happy to show you step by step.

Im renovating my kitchen and when it's finished I'm going to have a youtube Chanel. I will be doing cooking videos including basic stuff

Reactions: Ezzy and Leenie

View attachment 27206

Key Takeaways

Exploding dishes can happen doesn’t seem to matter what brand,years ago at a dinner party a Pyrex casserole dish exploded in the oven itself so you never know, but I don’t think you can blame K-mart .

Reactions: SGH
I had a toaster that only cost $10.00 I used this a couple of times and we could smell like something was burning. The bread inside was on fire and I quickly turned this off let it cool down and put it in the bin. Buying anything electrical at Kmart is dangerous. Especially for children. I do not buy anything like that from Kmart.
Also we bought a phone charger and after using this a few times it also was smelly you could see it was starting to burn, so this was put in the bin and I will never buy these things again From Kmart. Be careful might be cheap but worthless and a waist of money.
A tip from an electrician, please cut the plug off any dicky appliances upon disposal, you get seagulls at the tip that will salvage and resell.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
How very, very rude of you. How can you be like that when a) you haven’t tasted the food, b) you do not know what it is, c) you don’t know how much time, effort and ingredients she put in it and c) the food is all over her floor so you do t know what it is. All I can say to you again it that YOU ARE VERY, VERY RUDE.
AGREE WITH ALL YOU STATED.
I am disgusted. sim1 40's comments are definitely uncalled for. This was rude & crude. Hope by all comments from other members the message got through to her.

Last edited:
How can you tell that by the photo , it flew everywhere. I bet anyone's food would look like that if the dish exploded.

I hope you don't make comments like that to members of SDC
Totally agree.
Extremely lucky too that her injury was kept to her thumb. I know of a deli owner years ago who had a large glass bottle of cool drink explode cutting her face leaving her badly scarred. These types of explosions could damage our eyes to the point of causing blindness.

Stop putting yourself down , I would love to see what you cook abd I'm sure many would be happy to eat it.
It's really not hard Cooking. I would be more than happy to show you step by step.

Im renovating my kitchen and when it's finished I'm going to have a youtube Chanel. I will be doing cooking videos including basic stuff
I really do hate cooking. I’m really not a depressed person. I mean with 15 grandkids and 8 great grandkids I can’t afford to be. When we have a party we don’t even need to invite anyone outside the immediate family. I usually do the no bake things and the chefs decorate.

I really do hate cooking. I’m really not a depressed person. I mean with 15 grandkids and 8 great grandkids I can’t afford to be. When we have a party we don’t even need to invite anyone outside the immediate family. I usually do the no bake things and the chefs decorate.
I have 13 kids and 19 grandkids so far. I love now when we have a family BBQ that all my daughters make a dish or 2 , I have 8 daughters
My passion is cooking and I'm happy to see most of my daughters and 2 sons have my passion for cooking

View attachment 27206

Key Takeaways

after a year and as said continuous use, you did well. want the cost of food back. a tad miserable.