Mum’s post seeking advice to remove melted crayons on fake grass takes social media by storm — here are some notable suggestions

Mum’s post seeking advice to remove melted crayons on fake grass takes social media by storm — here are some notable suggestions
It is no secret that children bring a bit of colour and let’s be real, a mess to our homes.

For one Aussie mum, her toddler has brought colour to her home...literally as she sought some much-needed advice after her toddler's crayons melted on her backyard's artificial grass on Facebook.

Mum-of-two Vita Natalia De'laney posted on a popular group named Cleaning and Organising Inspiration Australia to ask for advice on how to get rid of the melted wax on her backyard's fake grass.

Her post read: 'So I just found that my toddler left all his crayons on our fake grass in the backyard and they melted.'

-fE7tGPHfC2WUTGi25Lk6q7-lRFpbPEJf_BK8YJe40MTtxhvxoS4sDgpoT7aa_N3vt439b4eov74K32ztZHmRSgaPbZVs-sPBjn_PrDiD_tMHdRa7SppuAd0R7S4BwUkOdbGE0c

Vita Natalia De'laney’s Facebook post. Credit: Facebook/ Cleaning and Organising Inspiration Australia.

The post attracted dozens of comments from social media users, with many sharing their tips and ideas on how to remove the melted crayons.

One person advised: 'Since the crayon does not penetrate the plastic, it should be easily scraped off once it has hardened. To get it as hard as possible, place an ice cube over the area for a few seconds, until it is cold and brittle. Quickly use the spoon or scraper to gently scrape it away from the plastic.'

'This happened to mine too. I just waited till it heated up the next day, put a kitchen towel over it, and stood on it. Most of it soaked into the kitchen towel. Then I just sprayed fairy liquid on the rest and washed it with my scrubbing brush,' another suggested.

A third jokingly wrote: 'I'd put police tape around the "crime scene" it will keep the neighbours talking, while your child thinks it has a pretty frame around it.'

Others advised the mum-of-two to call the company that laid the turf for advice as they know how to deal with this problem better, suggesting that doing so would save her from ruining the artificial grass even further.

One comment read: 'Honestly I’d ring the people you got it from?? It looks like decent fake grass, not the cheap stuff. We got ours from Australian Outdoor Living, maybe give them a call and ask. I’m sure they’ve heard it all before.'

KhaA4Xy-26lvfmtEErE_PusMS25MUM8JaFEpGT2BfRMsDPlPE06FqGRG2M4e5ex-sZbXCh1V5XEKkA6i0DKUNyi-S0CSB0pYNzN2OH8jtd5491SGdyZNa0PPMJHTgl3xb_RgMJU

One person advised Vita to phone the company that laid out the fake turf for advice to prevent her from ruining it further. Credit: Getty Images.

Overwhelmed by the number of responses she received, Vita expressed her gratitude to all the people who have given her advice. She also updated everyone, telling them that she tried to remove the stains by splashing dishwashing liquid, warm water, and a bit of micellar water on the wax.

She wrote: 'It seems to fade a little bit for sure but I guess I will do it again tomorrow since it will be freaking hot day again like around 37 degrees in Adelaide.'

The mum also said that the heat has helped her to "almost" remove the crayon wax after she scrubbed it again with dishwashing liquid and warm water.

Do you know any other hilarious toddler mishap stories which have resulted in new cleaning techniques? We just loved this one.

Reactions: Liz and Lizzie
Sponsored
If it were a small piece of grass, you could put it in the freezer, when frozen, the crayon would just break off.
Being unable to do that, heat it up, remelt it using a hair dryer.
Then blot it up using paper towel or tissues.
Very easily managed.
Crayon on walls.....apply a little toothpaste, gently swirl around with your finger....magic! Gone.
Texta or biro on a Laminex table or vinyl chairs ...spray with hairspray....watch it become liquid, blot it up with kitchen paper or tissues or toilet paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Julie1 and Liz
I taught Kinder for over 30 years and I discovered that crayon comes off with cheap shaving cream and a bit of a scrub.

Reactions: Julie1