Mum’s Guilt: Baby Name Regret After 18 Months

If you’re a parent, you know that making decisions for your children is not always a walk in the park. It can be overwhelming and, at times, fill you with uncertainty.

This is a feeling shared by many parents, including one who recently took to Reddit to share her experience with baby name regret.

The mother had named her daughter Genevieve Iris, a beautiful name that she thought would be perfect for her little one. However, after 18 months, she began to realise that the two names sounded a lot like the word 'virus' when said together.

'I kept thinking the anxiety over her name might have been due to postpartum depression, and I had hoped the negative feelings around the name would subside,' she wrote.

'Unfortunately, they haven't, and I still feel a huge amount of regret. I feel like I have let my daughter down.'

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 8.22.00 AM.png
One mother regrets giving her daughter the name 'Genevieve Iris' since it is too similar to the word 'virus'. Credit: Pexels/Juan Pablo Serrano Arenas.

This story might strike a chord with many parents and grandparents who have faced similar situations. Naming a child is a big responsibility, and it's not uncommon to second-guess a decision.

How did this happen, you ask? Apparently, the mum and her husband had been in a rush to fill out the birth certificate at the hospital, which resulted in them choosing the name Genevieve without fully considering how it might sound.

Although they both loved the name at the time, they soon discovered that it sounded a lot like 'Jenny vee virus' when said together. The mother also mentioned that it had been a hassle constantly explaining how to spell and pronounce her daughter's name.

It's heartening to see the online community come together to offer support and advice for a mother who was struggling with baby name regret. Many parents chimed in with their own experiences and solutions, making the conversation relatable and helpful.

Some mums pointed out that nicknames can make a name easier to pronounce, and offered a list of options for the mother to consider. They also reassured her that middle names are often overlooked and that, as the child gets older, the name issue is likely to fade away.

'I cannot recall the last time I said my kids' middle names or even my own. It's a non-issue,' one mum wrote in the comments.

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 8.21.55 AM.png
Others suggested the mum could either change her daughter's nickname or even her middle name to something else more suitable. Credit: Pexels/Josh Willink.

Others shared practical advice based on their own experiences, with one mum suggesting that the mother could start using her daughter's middle name exclusively, as her niece's mother had done.

The switch happened at 18 months, and it quickly became a non-issue, with the child growing to love her new name. 'She suits her middle name and loves it - her birth name literally never comes up,' said a fellow parent.

While a few people suggested that it wasn't too late to change the name altogether.

'It is not too late to change the name. If they're still feeling regret after 18 months, just rip the band-aid off and change it - the sooner the better,' someone suggested.

That's exactly what this mum ended up doing.

'We're keeping Genevieve as we still appreciate its beauty and versatility. We've agreed to drop Iris and have picked a different bilingual middle name that has the added bonus of having a family connection,' she wrote.

These responses show the power of community and how it can help parents navigate challenging situations. The online community is a great resource for advice and support, and it's reassuring to know that you're not alone when it comes to parenting.
Key Takeaways

• A mum has admitted she regrets the name of her 18-month-old daughter, Genevieve Iris because it sounds too close to the word 'virus'.
  • Most people reassured the mum it was not an issue at all, suggesting she adopt a nickname or switch to using a middle name. Some also suggested the mum make an official name change if the regret persists.
In the woman's post, one of the comments suggested that what she might be feeling is 'mum guilt' - a nagging feeling of self-doubt and regret that can creep in at any moment. Many mothers, especially first-timers, can relate to this.

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 8.21.46 AM.png
‘Mum guilt’ is a normal part of motherhood, and most mothers experience it at some point. Credit: Pexels/Jonathan Borba.

‘Mum guilt’ is often caused by the pressure to be a perfect mother.

As a parent, there's an expectation to be constantly nurturing, attentive, and selfless, all while juggling other responsibilities like work and household chores. It's easy to feel like you're falling short of these expectations, which can lead to feelings of guilt and shame.

Other common causes of ‘mum guilt’ include feeling like you're not spending enough time with your children, not doing enough to help them succeed, or not meeting their emotional or physical needs. Is this something you have experience? Perhaps ‘dad guilt’?

Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Do you think the name 'Genevieve Iris' has an awkward ring to it? Or do you think the mum might be overthinking things?

We'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this. Have you ever been in a similar situation? Have you ever regretted a baby name you chose? Or maybe you have a unique baby name story that you'd like to share?

Let's start a conversation in the comments below and share our stories!

Sponsored
I hated choosing baby names , it was a battle finding a name we both agreed on. When baby number 12 came along it was aweek before he was born that we decided to write down the top 5 names, screw each paper up and pull out a name straight after his birth. These went into hubby's phone case then on the day into his pocket which we then pulled one out.
On the list was his Godmothers name...Greeks have names that have both female and male versions and it was this name that was drawn out. Evangelo which he gets Angelo , he hates Evangelo and wants to change it to just Angelo..

My granddaughter's father wanted her name to be Africa after his home country but my daughter chose Vasiliki shortened to Vas after my husband .

Reactions: RTS and Ricci
If you’re a parent, you know that making decisions for your children is not always a walk in the park. It can be overwhelming and, at times, fill you with uncertainty.

This is a feeling shared by many parents, including one who recently took to Reddit to share her experience with baby name regret.

The mother had named her daughter Genevieve Iris, a beautiful name that she thought would be perfect for her little one. However, after 18 months, she began to realise that the two names sounded a lot like the word 'virus' when said together.

'I kept thinking the anxiety over her name might have been due to postpartum depression, and I had hoped the negative feelings around the name would subside,' she wrote.

'Unfortunately, they haven't, and I still feel a huge amount of regret. I feel like I have let my daughter down.'

View attachment 13760
One mother regrets giving her daughter the name 'Genevieve Iris' since it is too similar to the word 'virus'. Credit: Pexels/Juan Pablo Serrano Arenas.

This story might strike a chord with many parents and grandparents who have faced similar situations. Naming a child is a big responsibility, and it's not uncommon to second-guess a decision.

How did this happen, you ask? Apparently, the mum and her husband had been in a rush to fill out the birth certificate at the hospital, which resulted in them choosing the name Genevieve without fully considering how it might sound.

Although they both loved the name at the time, they soon discovered that it sounded a lot like 'Jenny vee virus' when said together. The mother also mentioned that it had been a hassle constantly explaining how to spell and pronounce her daughter's name.

It's heartening to see the online community come together to offer support and advice for a mother who was struggling with baby name regret. Many parents chimed in with their own experiences and solutions, making the conversation relatable and helpful.

Some mums pointed out that nicknames can make a name easier to pronounce, and offered a list of options for the mother to consider. They also reassured her that middle names are often overlooked and that, as the child gets older, the name issue is likely to fade away.

'I cannot recall the last time I said my kids' middle names or even my own. It's a non-issue,' one mum wrote in the comments.

View attachment 13759
Others suggested the mum could either change her daughter's nickname or even her middle name to something else more suitable. Credit: Pexels/Josh Willink.

Others shared practical advice based on their own experiences, with one mum suggesting that the mother could start using her daughter's middle name exclusively, as her niece's mother had done.

The switch happened at 18 months, and it quickly became a non-issue, with the child growing to love her new name. 'She suits her middle name and loves it - her birth name literally never comes up,' said a fellow parent.

While a few people suggested that it wasn't too late to change the name altogether.

'It is not too late to change the name. If they're still feeling regret after 18 months, just rip the band-aid off and change it - the sooner the better,' someone suggested.

'We're keeping Genevieve as we still appreciate its beauty and versatility. We've agreed to drop Iris and have picked a different bilingual middle name that has the added bonus of having a family connection,' she wrote.

These responses show the power of community and how it can help parents navigate challenging situations. The online community is a great resource for advice and support, and it's reassuring to know that you're not alone when it comes to parenting.
Key Takeaways

• A mum has admitted she regrets the name of her 18-month-old daughter, Genevieve Iris because it sounds too close to the word 'virus'.
  • Most people reassured the mum it was not an issue at all, suggesting she adopt a nickname or switch to using a middle name. Some also suggested the mum make an official name change if the regret persists.
In the woman's post, one of the comments suggested that what she might be feeling is 'mum guilt' - a nagging feeling of self-doubt and regret that can creep in at any moment. Many mothers, especially first-timers, can relate to this.

View attachment 13758
‘Mum guilt’ is a normal part of motherhood, and most mothers experience it at some point. Credit: Pexels/Jonathan Borba.

As a parent, there's an expectation to be constantly nurturing, attentive, and selfless, all while juggling other responsibilities like work and household chores. It's easy to feel like you're falling short of these expectations, which can lead to feelings of guilt and shame.

Other common causes of ‘mum guilt’ include feeling like you're not spending enough time with your children, not doing enough to help them succeed, or not meeting their emotional or physical needs. Is this something you have experience? Perhaps ‘dad guilt’?

Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Do you think the name 'Genevieve Iris' has an awkward ring to it? Or do you think the mum might be overthinking things?

We'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this. Have you ever been in a similar situation? Have you ever regretted a baby name you chose? Or maybe you have a unique baby name story that you'd like to share?

Genevieve Iris is a beautiful name but the problem here is most Australians are lazy speakers. They rush words together. We need to stop and pause. Genevieve is a strong name and Iris is as well. Pause between words. Don't rush the name make them strong as they should be.

Both names are genuinely gorgeous... keep them!... People will find something in practically every name on the planet that will turn into a joke or tease.
Even if it does sound like 'virus'..., I hope it becomes contagious - so more people will spread the cuteness and sweetness of your child. Tell them that!

just drop the iris and call her Genevieve, which in her school days probably will be shortened to Gen in any case. You do know its not illegal to change your Christian name (s), call her what she wants to be called at the appropriate time and if she likes it when 18 she applies to birth, death etc for a change of name by association

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 13760

View attachment 13759

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13758

Just go and change the name by deed pole for crying out lowd

Just go and change the name by deed pole for crying out lowd
Yes you can difficult for a very young person
Anyone wishing to change names in Australia must lodge a legal name change application with Births, Deaths and Marriages. Once approved you receive either a legal name change certificate, or if your birth was registered in the state you get an amended birth certificate.

Reactions: debjane and Ricci
In the US someone decided that Veruca was a nice name for girls without knowing what a veruca was.
But 1st names can be very much related to local customs.
In the Pacific Islands children can be named after events that have recently happened, and in Africa too, and some will use the English translation for their names with tourist, probably for ease of pronunciation, and have travelled in parts of Africa I found them beautiful.
Justice, Patience for example, I wish I could remember more>
But the names that do bug me are the ones that twist the original spelling where it appears the parent(s) haven't bothered to check or maybe just decided they want a different spelling
eg Cheyenne to Shyanne
And don't get me started on film stars naming their kids, or Elon Musk

Some popular African names​

CountryGirls' namesBoys' names
Botswana
  1. Dikeledi ("tears")
  2. Goitsemedi ("the lord knows")
  3. Kagiso ("peace")
  1. Tau ("lion")
  2. Letsego ("armament")
  3. Fenyang ("victory")
Egypt
  1. Isis ("supreme goddess of the stars")
  2. Nailah ("successful")
  3. Kanika ("black")
  1. Upton ("high village")
  2. Maahes ("lion")
  3. Kafele ("would die for")
Eritrea
  1. Aatifa ("affection")
  2. Zula ("brilliant")
  3. Azzeza ("respected")
  1. Iggi ("only son")
  2. Nasih ("advisor")
  3. Fethawi ("justice")
Ethiopia
  1. Ayana ("beautiful flower")
  2. Aamina ("safe")
  3. Gabra ("gift of offering")
  1. Amare ("handsome")
  2. Berhanu ("light")
  3. Dawit ("beloved")
Kenya
  1. Imani ("faith")
  2. Numa ("beautiful")
  3. Maluum ("special")
  1. Aban ("clear")
  2. Aasir ("captivating")
  3. Zarif ("elegant")
South Africa
  1. Puleng ("put in rain")
  2. Lefu ("sickness")
  3. Naledi ("star")
  1. Mamello ("patience")
  2. Tumelo("belief")
  3. Uuka ("arise")
Tanzania
  1. Aailyah ("of the highest")
  2. Abla ("with a full figure")
  3. Khadijah ("born prematurely")
  1. Abasi ("stern")
  2. Hamisi("born on Thursday")
  3. Darweshi ("holy")
Uganda
  1. Acanit ("hard times")
  2. Kaikara ("traditional name of God")
  3. Achen ("twin")
  1. Dembe ("peace")
  2. Ochen ("one of twins")
  3. Nasiche ("born during the locust season")

When my granddaughter was born she was given the name ARTEMIS greek goddess of the moon & the hunt. She decided at 12 that Artie suited her better so now at 24 she still uses that name except when filling in legal papers. Mary and Louise are the other middle names that she has ignored in favour of Artie!

View attachment 13760

View attachment 13759

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13758

No comment about the name/s, I think the mum has done what is best for them, but... in the photo of the woman and baby (second photo), where does the extra hand come from???

• Haha

View attachment 13760

View attachment 13759

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13758

That's two beautiful names. Who would ever think of a virus when they see this? Nobody. Besides, when do others even know one's middle name?

No comment about the name/s, I think the mum has done what is best for them, but... in the photo of the woman and baby (second photo), where does the extra hand come from???
Not an extra hand. It’s the mums right hand under the baby’s legs.
🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Liag and Ricci
Never use my children's or grandchildren's middle names unless they are in big trouble and they know it when the middle name comes into play.