SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Mr Whippy van

Ah, the Mr Whippy van—a sweet sensation that swept through Australia. Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1958, the franchise expanded to Australia four years later. In 1962, founder Dominic Facchino shipped ten pink and white vans to Sydney. With the distinctive Greensleeves melody as their siren call, the Mr Whippy vans became magnets for children (and let’s be honest, adults) across Australia. What are your cherished memories of the iconic Mr Whippy? Did you race out for an ice cream treat?

Optimized-Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 11.05.07 AM.jpg
Credits: Facebook/Mr Whippy

Reactions: MJPB on Magnetic
Mr Whippy van

Ah, the Mr Whippy van—a sweet sensation that swept through Australia. Founded in Birmingham, England, in 1958, the franchise expanded to Australia four years later. In 1962, founder Dominic Facchino shipped ten pink and white vans to Sydney. With the distinctive Greensleeves melody as their siren call, the Mr Whippy vans became magnets for children (and let’s be honest, adults) across Australia. What are your cherished memories of the iconic Mr Whippy? Did you race out for an ice cream treat?

View attachment 21109
Credits: Facebook/Mr Whippy

My memories of the Mr Whippy Van is going to the beach in Cairns and as we would drive past Mum would say “Look at the areoplane” and so we would look up into the sky as we drove past Mr Whippy! You see Mum and Dad were very poor and they had seven children and could not afford Mr Whippy every time but as we grew older we caught onto Mum’s joke so we knew what was coming up! When we could afford Mr Whippy we did buy the ice cream and it was so delicious and soft and I loved the music it played as the van went around.

I remember summer nights hearing Mr whippy in the distance and waiting eagerly for its arrival.
I remember my nan buying me icecream boats , a colourful boat shape dish with 2 scoops of icecream and flavouring on top

M
My memories of the Mr Whippy Van is going to the beach in Cairns and as we would drive past Mum would say “Look at the areoplane” and so we would look up into the sky as we drove past Mr Whippy! You see Mum and Dad were very poor and they had seven children and could not afford Mr Whippy every time but as we grew older we caught onto Mum’s joke so we knew what was coming up! When we could afford Mr Whippy we did buy the ice cream and it was so delicious and soft and I loved the music it played as the van went

When my daughter heard Mr Whippy playing his tune she would say “oh no Mummy Mr Whippy has run out of ice cream” as I had followed in my mothers footsteps and would say that when he played the tune there were no ice creams left!! One way to stop me buying for the whole family!!

Mr Whippy's were great. Ice cream to your door - see it's not a new concept! Biggest delicious problem was getting through your cone in summer before it all melted!

Reactions: Gsr
Ray and I are in our late 70s and are full time Grey Nomads Quite often the Mr Whippy van will come into a caravan park we are staying at and as soon as we here the music we are out there like two little kids me a 99 and Ray a plain cone nothing better although the flake has got much smaller over the year Like a little kid I still push it as far down the cone as I can so the last bite has flake WHO wants to act their age certainly not us 🤣🤣

Reactions: Gsr and Wandiwa
I remember the Mr Whippy tune coming down the street. You would have needed to be a very good child for your parents to go out to the street and get you an ice cream, it was a real treat back in those days.

Reactions: Gsr
When we moved from the sticks to a country area closer to a town mr whipped used to come around every Sunday. We only got an ice cream once a month, if we were good, as our parents had 8 kids then and couldn’t afford them every week. If we had been naughty we missed out and had to suffer watching the siblings who had been good eating their ice creams. Later on we could buy chips, lollies and other treats as well as ice cream, so in winter once a month we would get a small packet of chicken flavoured chips to share between 2 kids. I’m surprised we survived the germs mr whippmust have had on his hands handling money, steering wheel and goodness knows what else on his rounds. He never washed his hands, just got up from driving and served us, holding the cones in his hand while he filled them. When my kids were young mr whipped was still around. Up until a few years ago an ice cream van still came around our neighbourhood but only sold wrapped ice creams and ice blocks and packaged food, due to health regulations catching up to them. Now we rarely ever see an ice cream van in our area.