Most misunderstood road rule revealed: Mastering this can save you $227

Navigating the roads can be tricky, and even the most seasoned drivers among us can sometimes get tripped up by the rules.

However, one particular road rule is causing more confusion than most, and getting it wrong is costing Aussie drivers a pretty penny.

In New South Wales and across the country, a roundabout rule is frequently misunderstood, and failing to comply could hit your wallet hard with a $227 fine and add two demerit points to your driving record.

The Traffic and Highway Patrol Command, part of the NSW Police Force, has taken to social media to remind drivers about the correct way to signal at roundabouts.

1724727168072.png
NSW Police reminded drivers to signal when exiting a roundabout, even if going straight. Credit: Transport NSW Website

Drivers must indicate their exit from the roundabout with their left blinker, even if they're going straight through at a multi-lane roundabout.

As you approach your exit, you must flick on that left indicator to let other drivers know you're about to leave the roundabout.

If you're taking the roundabout all the way around to the right before exiting, you must indicate right while circulating and then switch to your left indicator as you prepare to exit.

This small action can prevent a big hit to your bank account and driving record.

Police have noted several myths about roundabouts that can lead to dangerous situations.

One such myth is the belief that drivers only need to give way to vehicles on their right.

This is incorrect and could lead to collisions.

‘The rules are clear: when entering a roundabout, drivers must slow or stop to give way to any vehicle already in the roundabout,’ the police explained.

‘The myth that drivers need only give way to vehicles on their right has long persisted and is completely wrong. Believing this can lead to collisions, insurance claims and action from police.’

This rule is consistent throughout Australia, but roundabouts remain a point of contention for many drivers.

Just last month, a Perth teacher sparked a debate over who has the right of way when entering a roundabout.

A spokesperson for Western Australia’s Road Safety Commission stated that most roundabouts have giveaway lines at each entry to remind drivers of their obligation to yield.

‘However, even without the lines, the rule will still apply,’

The revelation of this rule on social media has surprised many drivers, with some admitting they were unaware of the requirement to indicate when exiting a roundabout.

Others have criticised the rule, calling it confusing, particularly for elderly drivers who might mistakenly use their right indicator even when going straight.

Some argue that the ‘rule works only on the very large roundabouts’, as smaller ones need more time to signal while navigating the roundabout itself.

In other news, a woman in Lismore, NSW, received a $302 fine and two demerit points for driving over a small roundabout.

Unaware it was illegal, she now warned others about this little-known rule. You can read more about it here.
Key Takeaways
  • NSW Police have reminded drivers about the misunderstood road rule regarding indicating when exiting a roundabout, even when going straight.
  • Failure to comply with this rule could result in a $227 fine and two demerit points for NSW drivers, with similar penalties likely in other states.
  • The roundabout rule clarification explains that drivers must give way to any vehicle already on the roundabout, not just those to their right.
  • Many Aussie drivers expressed surprise or confusion at the rule, with some admitting they were unaware of the requirement to indicate on exit.
Have you ever been caught out by this roundabout rule, or do you have any tips for remembering to signal correctly? Share your experiences and advice in the comments below.

Sponsored
It's such a simple, straightforward, logical rule it amazes me how so many find it confusing. As a now retired semi trailer driver it was frustrating when people didn't indicate correctly as they could show no indication and one might stop or slow considerably assuming they might be coming around with no indication and just go straight through or have their right indicator on and go straight through. It's not hard, it's just common sense. Effectively just indicate as you would at a normal intersection except for the left indicate when leaving the roundabout.

I'm sorry, I can't agree with the "rule " that says you must give way to cars already on the roundabout. I've taken this up with RAC but had nit no response. If we all followed this to the letter of the law, all traffic would simply stop. We have a large roundabout in Albany that has many cars in it at any given time...so...who's breaking the law?

I'm sorry, I can't agree with the "rule " that says you must give way to cars already on the roundabout. I've taken this up with RAC but had nit no response. If we all followed this to the letter of the law, all traffic would simply stop. We have a large roundabout in Albany that has many cars in it at any given time...so...who's breaking the law?
I think it can be interpreted as " Do not "near collide" with any other vehicle already on the roundabout.

I know that roundabout in Albany! I do whatever I can to avoid it when I visit. That one and there’s one in Bunbury (or at least there used to be), that I really dislike using. There are too many people that I’ve seen who really don’t know, or don’t care about the rules of using roundabouts.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
It's such a simple, straightforward, logical rule it amazes me how so many find it confusing. As a now retired semi trailer driver it was frustrating when people didn't indicate correctly as they could show no indication and one might stop or slow considerably assuming they might be coming around with no indication and just go straight through or have their right indicator on and go straight through. It's not hard, it's just common sense. Effectively just indicate as you would at a normal intersection except for the left indicate when leaving the roundabout.
I used to drive a truck also, but that aside, depending on the physical size of the roundabout, it would depend on if you get to see their indicator on !
And being a rule which came out in the 2000’s and quite frankly I don’t like it, because of the fact that im continuing straight up the road, why should I confuse the other drivers by flicking the indicator one way and then the other, not to mention wear and tear on the indicator stalk !
Bloody ridiculous !! That earns 10 GF’s

In the UK, the Highway Code, which applies to ALL of the population, requires drivers to signal right if they are not exiting at the first junction. Aussie rozzers don't like this and it seems another example of people with Dutton's mentality to flex their muscles.

Indicating right relieves other motorists of that unnecessary guessing game, thereby contributing something positive to the bizarre world of Australian concepts of road safety.

Rule #1 of the rule book. It is the driver's obligation to keep abreast of the road rules. All of us show refresh our knowledge. Sit with a cuppa and bring ourselves up to date and read the rule book.
Make sure your cuppa lasts about 10 days! The NSW Road Rules 2014 is a 510 page document!

In the UK, the Highway Code, which applies to ALL of the population, requires drivers to signal right if they are not exiting at the first junction. Aussie rozzers don't like this and it seems another example of people with Dutton's mentality to flex their muscles.

Indicating right relieves other motorists of that unnecessary guessing game, thereby contributing something positive to the bizarre world of Australian concepts of road safety.
We don't live in the UK.

In NSW, when roundabouts became "pandemic", the law stated that the left indicator be used when exiting a roundabout. Some years later, that requirement was dropped.

So it has come back to bite everybody on the arse....covertly?

I don't give a hoot - haven't had a licence since 15 October 2015.

Reactions: DLHM
We don't live in the UK.
I don't live there now, but that's where I done most of my driving and learnt the road rules. Now I've been living here for a few years I've just carried on from there assuming they'd have the sense of having the same rules here?

The roundabout rules there are.....
  • give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights.
I take the rule about giving way to vehicles already on the roundabout as being the same as above. If they're already on the roundabout then they must also be approaching from the right? So I give way anyway.

Forget the indicator bit, I totally get that and do that but weren't roundabouts introduced to replace certain intersections, instead of stopping at the intersection to give way and traffic bank up and accidents possibly happen, a roundabout was introduced to give way and keep the traffic flowing and stop, if necessary? Now, we are told to stop and give way, if vehicles are on the roundabout....you could be sitting there all day, waiting for the roundabout to be clear, especially if it is a big one and there are vehicles way over the other side on it AND risk road rage with people beeping you to move or WORSE get rear ended!!! Maybe roundabouts should be done a way with and re-introduce dangerous intersections. It just doesn't make sense to me and roundabouts have give way signs on them, not give way and stop signs!!
I think roundabouts are common sense but now I'm not so sure, as the way I use them, including with indicators, which is how I've always used them since they were introduced, could now get me a fine!!

• Sad
Reactions: DLHM