Moroccan chicken with sweet potato mash

Moroccan chicken with sweet potato mash

recipe.png

Credits: BBC Good Food
Moroccan chicken with sweet potato mash is a hearty and comforting dish that is perfect for a winter meal. The chicken is cooked in a fragrant and flavorful Moroccan spice blend, and the sweet potato mash is a creamy and delicious accompaniment.

Moroccan chicken is a popular dish typically prepared with a variety of spices. The most common spices used in this dish are cumin, paprika, ginger, and cinnamon. Other ingredients typically used in this dish include garlic, onion, tomatoes, and chicken. The chicken is usually cooked in a tagine, a type of earthenware pot.

Ingredients:

-2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
-1 onion
-2 cloves of garlic
-1 teaspoon cumin
-1 teaspoon paprika
-1 teaspoon ginger
-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
-1 tin chopped tomatoes
-400 grams of sweet potato, cubed
-a handful of green olives, pitted or whole
-Juice 1/2 lemon
-1/2 cup milk
-1 tablespoon butter
-parsley
-coriander

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, onion, garlic, cumin, paprika, ginger, and cinnamon.

3. Add the tinned tomatoes and olives and mix everything together.

4. Pour the mixture into a tagine or a casserole dish.

5. Peel and chop the sweet potato into small pieces. Add to the dish (Optional).

6. Cover the dish with a lid and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.

7. To make the sweet potato mash, add the sweet potatoes to a large pot of boiling water and cook for about 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain the sweet potatoes and add them back to the pot. Add the milk and butter and mash until smooth.

8. To serve, divide the sweet potato mash between two plates. Top with the chicken and sauce. Sprinkle with parsley, coriander, and lemon juice. Serve with a side of steamed broccoli or roasted Brussels sprouts.

To make this dish extra special, you can add a pinch of saffron to the mixture for a more authentic flavour. You can also replace the sweet potato with pumpkin for a seasonal twist. Then, add some chopped apricots or dates for a touch of sweetness.

Would you try this recipe? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Sounds delicious, but first we are told to add the sweet potatoes to the dish and later told to cook them separately! Also, in Australia we say coriander and not cilantro.

Sounds delicious, but first we are told to add the sweet potatoes to the dish and later told to cook them separately! Also, in Australia we say coriander and not cilantro.
Hi, @Thecheesequeen Thank you so much for pointing this out. I've edited the post and changed cilantro to coriander :) Also, adding small pieces of sweet potatoes to the dish can be optional if you want that added sweetness, so I've edited that part.

Thank you for your reply. The end result was delicious. I put the lemon juice in while it was cooking. I will make this again. I used the slow cooker and it was a great success.
Oh wow! That's great to hear :) How long did it take for the slow cooker to cook the dish? And did you cook it on high or low?

Oh wow! That's great to hear :) How long did it take for the slow cooker to cook the dish? And did you cook it on high or low?
I cooked it for about 5 hours on high and then turned to low for a bit longer. I thickened it before serving over the mash.