Mop mishap: Kmart shopper's unboxing nightmare sparks outcry among customers!

In a world where consumer trust is paramount, unexpected discoveries can shake confidence in even the most reputable retailers.

Recently, shoppers have been left unsettled by a concerning revelation found within the packaging of a commonly purchased household appliance.

This unsettling find has sparked conversations about product integrity, consumer rights, and the importance of vigilant quality control measures in the retail industry.

Imagine the anticipation of unboxing your latest purchase, only to be greeted by the grimy remnants of someone else's household chores.

This was the unfortunate reality for a Kmart shopper who was left utterly flabbergasted when she discovered a dirty, broken, and decidedly used steam mop in the box of what was supposed to be a brand-new item.

20240531_080857_0000.png
A Kmart shopper was surprised to discover a dirty, broken steam mop inside the new product box, rather than the new appliance she had purchased. Credits: Facebook / KMART HACKS & DECOR

The shopper's dismay was palpable as she took to a social media group to share her experience.

‘You best believe I was SHOOK to get home and find someone's old dirty, broken, and used steam mop inside the box,’ she recounted, adding she was ‘lost for words’ over the shocking revelation.

‘It's obvious that someone had returned their old mop inside the Kmart box. And Kmart has not even checked and just put it back on the shelf.’

The sense of being scammed was undeniable, especially when she realised the mop wasn't even a Kmart brand—it was a Dirt Devil, typically sold at Bunnings.

The shopper expressed her disappointment, stating that she would have to make a 30-minute drive back to the store just to return the mop.

‘Now I am not only without a steam mop but also have to take it back to the store and hope they don't think it's me trying to scam them the way I have been scammed. Honestly lost for words,’ she said.

The shopper's post quickly became a hot topic among social media users, with many expressing their outrage and sharing their horror stories of retail returns gone wrong.

‘People are s*****,’ a commenter remarked.

‘Some people! Who even thinks of these things?’ another added.

Others turned their frustration on the store’s return process, with one lamenting, ‘This is getting ridiculous, the s*** that gets shoved into boxes and returned and the dirty old shoes hanging on the shelves. Thieves galore at Kmart.’

‘It's actually disgusting! You would think they would be more thorough with returns, especially something electrical,’ another agreed.

The store manager's response did little to appease the shopper's frustration.

‘Had the manager laughing, saying if the box doesn't look like it's been opened, they don't check,’ the shopper vented.

‘I will be taking it back tomorrow but she honestly had zero sympathy nor remorse for the whole situation. I told her how disgusting the mop is that came in the box and asked how something like this could even happen…can say I won't be buying from Kmart for a while.’

‘I'm very disappointed and will still be trying to take this further so future customers don't have to go through this,’ she continued.

As it happened, such incidents were more common than one might expect as several group members recounted their own alarming experiences.

One former Kmart employee remembered a customer returning an iron box containing a cinder block.

Others shared similar tales involving air mattresses, cameras, drills, children's scooters, and even a baby bassinet.

Many social media users advised the shopper to return the item, allowing the store to investigate the original culprit.

‘They'll have a record of the return and be able to investigate it,’ one shopper suggested.

Ultimately, the victim left everyone with a piece of advice: ‘Check before you walk out of the store!’

The unsettling experience of discovering unexpected items in newly purchased products raises concerns not only about product integrity but also about the broader implications for consumer trust and satisfaction.

As shoppers navigate these unsettling incidents, another case made the list, as evidenced by one individual's frustration upon receiving her package from Kmart.

This interconnected web of consumer experiences underscores the importance of transparency and accountability in retail practices, prompting many to reconsider their purchasing decisions and advocate for greater scrutiny in the supply chain.
Key Takeaways

• A Kmart shopper was shocked to find a dirty, broken steam mop inside the new product box, instead of the new appliance she purchased.
  • The incident highlighted issues with how returns are processed at stores, suggesting a lack of thorough checks on returned items before they're put back on the shelf.
  • The shopper's post about the incident on social media elicited a strong response from others who shared their disgust and similar experiences.
  • The victim advised other customers to check their purchases, especially appliances, before leaving the store to prevent similar situations.
Have you ever encountered a similar situation? How did you handle it, and what advice would you give fellow shoppers to avoid falling victim to such scams? Share your stories and tips in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
It's not just kmarts fault for not checking items what is worst is thinking of all their dishonest customers returning used items.

Sounds like that mop was used more than once. Sounds like the customer must have put it back in the original box and sealed it.

Maybe kmart and all other shops need to open return items that are in boxes

The staff should have checked, as it would have been a returned item. Clearly a dishonest customer - just like I've seen people replace their dirty thongs on the hanging rack at Target. They walk out with the same style of thongs, so they can get away it at the exit.

I had a similar experience with a Kmart deep fryer. When I got it home and opened the box, I could see that it had already been used. However it wasn't too bad and I didn't want to bother returning it via two buses and a train ride. From then on I have always checked that the security stickers were intact and untampered with.

Reactions: Penny4
I have had this happen to me with an internet purchase from KMart.
I was told to post it back.
I don't deal thru KMart online
anymore. Their freight charges are ridiculous.
I was going to buy a few items of lingerie and the freight was considerably dearer than the product.
I buy everything thru Temu now. Good quality, exceptionally good prices and great service
Just yesterday I received parcel and some cushion covers I ordered were not the right design. I filled in the return application, submitted it and the refund was in my account 10 minutes later. I was also told I
could keep the wrong ones,not bother to return them
My daughter in law loved them.
Win/Win all around and my correct covers are already on
the way, along with complimentary infills.
All of this within 24 hours. That's what I call exemplary service

I never buy anything where the box has been resealed by store or customer. Not worth the risk.
And that’s why the return desk does not open a box when it looks like it has not been opened. We blame the store for mishaps when we should be disgusted with our fellow man. We live amongst such grubs and dishonesty

I have had this happen to me with an internet purchase from KMart.
I was told to post it back.
I don't deal thru KMart online
anymore. Their freight charges are ridiculous.
I was going to buy a few items of lingerie and the freight was considerably dearer than the product.
I buy everything thru Temu now. Good quality, exceptionally good prices and great service
Just yesterday I received parcel and some cushion covers I ordered were not the right design. I filled in the return application, submitted it and the refund was in my account 10 minutes later. I was also told I
could keep the wrong ones,not bother to return them
My daughter in law loved them.
Win/Win all around and my correct covers are already on
the way, along with complimentary infills.
All of this within 24 hours. That's what I call exemplary service
How good are the cushion covers? I love mine. So many to choose from and really cheap. As for KMart, I have one pass and don’t pay delivery at KMart, Target or most things on Catch. It costs me $4 a month and it more than pays for its self. We have KMart less than five minutes away and most of the time I still get my orders delivered.

How good are the cushion covers? I love mine. So many to choose from and really cheap. As for KMart, I have one pass and don’t pay delivery at KMart, Target or most things on Catch. It costs me $4 a month and it more than pays for its self. We have KMart less than five minutes away and most of the time I still get my orders delivered.
I love my Temu doona cover. Perfect

Cushion covers are absolutely beautiful! Much nicer than anything I have seen here.
I bought 8 for my two sets of outdoor furniture, and another three sets of four covers for my lounge and two bedrooms.
Sets of four were between $9.85 and $12.95 and freight free, how cheap is that. Great quality also.

Cushion covers are absolutely beautiful! Much nicer than anything I have seen here.
I bought 8 for my two sets of outdoor furniture, and another three sets of four covers for my lounge and two bedrooms.
Sets of four were between $9.85 and $12.95 and freight free, how cheap is that. Great quality also.
I bought way too many lol. I’ve done the lounge room, family room and a bedroom and more in the cupboard for later lol. I might have to look at the outdoor ones now too.

I LOATHE KMART. Since the middle cashier outlet was installed, I reckon it’s open slather for thieves, I say bring back checkouts by the door, and tag most items electronically.
I agree, the centre checkout is ridiculous.

Don't waste your money on a steam mop. They are the most useless peice of garbage invented. Not even worth the electricity turning the thing on.

I have the ''EASIEST SOLUTION'' ---Don't be so lazy--Get of your backside and go to the store to purchase your goods (BE IT FOOD OR WHATEVER) IF YOU DO THIS ,YOU WILL NEVER BE SCAMMED----wHEN BUYING A NEW OR PRE OWNED MOTOR VEHICLE WOULD YO BUY IT ONLINE OR GO AND TAKE IT FOR A TEST DRIVE???---I REST MY CASE---NUFF SAID!

Reactions: CliffE