Mobile phone detection cameras: what are they and how do they work?

Many Aussie drivers are puzzled by a new high-tech device that has been installed above major highways, but we bet it looks all too familiar to anyone who has ever been ticketed for simultaneously texting and driving before.

Across New South Wales, Queensland, and Victoria, mobile phone detection cameras are being used to catch and prosecute drivers who are texting or talking on their phones while behind the wheel.

p_nZ8vbFbUG2XbXRqcBIqLHBDFZxE62gj3a7pMHzb8VGbKTFajDuGTeyoQOByv7wDnNvYKqWHvrQajvET6wE5hssJb6S4ok6pi6DWTmRMxRKeoBvAD9VmXnVavpoA3S0MakDjKjbB7kcx8rPDuGEqWdR3nz10YfV2dfFH_a90rN3viDltYL_ih5aIw

Drivers who break the law by using cell phones while driving are being fined heavily. Credit: NSW Government.

Compared to the typical speed and red light cameras, mobile phone detection cameras are a little different. Most of these look like white boxes, but mobile phone detection cameras are black and have a modern design that makes them stand out.

They are often positioned at a right angle, high above the ground, to provide clear views of the front seats of passing cars.

You can identify phone detection cameras by looking for a rectangular black box with black cameras (or a single camera) on either side.

How do they work, and what are the penalties?

Artificial intelligence (AI) is used by mobile phone detection cameras to find illegal phone use. They can also work day and night, and in any kind of weather, even fog and heavy rain.

Using AI, the system can scan through photographs automatically, identify guilty drivers, and filter out innocent ones. Then, authorised employees will review the images.

Drivers in NSW who are caught by a mobile phone detection camera will have to pay a fine of $349 or $464 if they were caught in a school zone. They will also receive five demerit points (this will double to 10 demerit points during double demerit periods).

Credit: Transport for NSW.

The high-tech cameras have been met with a variety of reactions from Aussie motorists, including both good and unfavourable comments posted on social media platforms.

Some people were so outraged by the cameras that they called them 'revenue raisers', 'highway robbery' and 'ATM for cops', among other insults.

Some people even said the cameras weren't accurate enough and they got tickets even when they weren't using their phones.

One of them is Tracey, who was driving from Noosa to Brisbane in January when she was snapped by the camera.

After returning from an international trip, she only discovered the violation notice, along with the four demerit points. She claimed there must have been some kind of error.

'The evidence they supplied was a photo of me driving with two hands on the steering wheel and three shadows on my body which made them conclude that at least one of them was a phone,' she said.

Tracey argued that the provided traffic camera photo showed that both of her hands were on the wheel and that the size of the shadow was not accurate to the shape of her phone.

6bkJS4MAZmTfqHAsDPj2gFdp09kIs7rvEJWTVGQE7YzlgPvoftZRFCKEUsfIyAXxoTMN4x6hH267EGDNz6CJsywU17--i2PeXq35Ko0wikc2N5gF_xvq58S5J3t_e6godIiK52OMSkpeUqO-EQHlvkivNsEeWPflkrGl7HIWkFcM3fyNdfJEJIRvNw

Using a cell phone while driving is generally not allowed, but there can be exceptions. Credit: iStock.

When is it okay for a driver to use a cell phone while driving?

Drivers are permitted to use their mobile devices for voice communications (making and receiving calls) and audio playback (listening to music) only if their devices are:
  • In a cradle fixed to the vehicle and doesn't obscure their view of the road
  • Able to be operated without touching any part of the phone, such as via Bluetooth or voice activation
The only way a mobile phone can be used for driver's aids, such as a GPS, is if it is securely fastened in a cradle.

Transport NSW said that mobile phone detection cameras would save lives and are 'a key initiative' to reach the government's goal of reducing road deaths and serious injuries to zero by 2056.

The organisation also wants to use the cameras to find drivers who aren't wearing seatbelts.

What do you think about this idea, folks? Do you think it's okay for a 'hidden', high-tech camera to snap photographs of drivers using their phones while they're behind the wheel? Leave your thoughts in the comments!

Sponsored
I think it's a great idea.

If a driver needs to be on the phone then pullover.

It's a known fact that a high percentage of accidents happen while using phones

So many people will actually text while driving .

How can you concentrate on driving and texting the same time.

My daughter was involved in two car accidents and it wouldn't surprise me if she hadn't been texting on her phone.

I'm all for it.

Many Aussie drivers are puzzled by a new high-tech device that has been installed above major highways, but we bet it looks all too familiar to anyone who has ever been ticketed for simultaneously texting and driving before.

Across New South Wales, Queensland, and Victoria, mobile phone detection cameras are being used to catch and prosecute drivers who are texting or talking on their phones while behind the wheel.

p_nZ8vbFbUG2XbXRqcBIqLHBDFZxE62gj3a7pMHzb8VGbKTFajDuGTeyoQOByv7wDnNvYKqWHvrQajvET6wE5hssJb6S4ok6pi6DWTmRMxRKeoBvAD9VmXnVavpoA3S0MakDjKjbB7kcx8rPDuGEqWdR3nz10YfV2dfFH_a90rN3viDltYL_ih5aIw

Drivers who break the law by using cell phones while driving are being fined heavily. Credit: NSW Government.

Compared to the typical speed and red light cameras, mobile phone detection cameras are a little different. Most of these look like white boxes, but mobile phone detection cameras are black and have a modern design that makes them stand out.

They are often positioned at a right angle, high above the ground, to provide clear views of the front seats of passing cars.

You can identify phone detection cameras by looking for a rectangular black box with black cameras (or a single camera) on either side.

Artificial intelligence (AI) is used by mobile phone detection cameras to find illegal phone use. They can also work day and night, and in any kind of weather, even fog and heavy rain.

Using AI, the system can scan through photographs automatically, identify guilty drivers, and filter out innocent ones. Then, authorised employees will review the images.

Drivers in NSW who are caught by a mobile phone detection camera will have to pay a fine of $349 or $464 if they were caught in a school zone. They will also receive five demerit points (this will double to 10 demerit points during double demerit periods).

The high-tech cameras have been met with a variety of reactions from Aussie motorists, including both good and unfavourable comments posted on social media platforms.

Some people were so outraged by the cameras that they called them 'revenue raisers', 'highway robbery' and 'ATM for cops', among other insults.

Some people even said the cameras weren't accurate enough and they got tickets even when they weren't using their phones.

One of them is Tracey, who was driving from Noosa to Brisbane in January when she was snapped by the camera.

After returning from an international trip, she only discovered the violation notice, along with the four demerit points. She claimed there must have been some kind of error.

'The evidence they supplied was a photo of me driving with two hands on the steering wheel and three shadows on my body which made them conclude that at least one of them was a phone,' she said.

Tracey argued that the provided traffic camera photo showed that both of her hands were on the wheel and that the size of the shadow was not accurate to the shape of her phone.

6bkJS4MAZmTfqHAsDPj2gFdp09kIs7rvEJWTVGQE7YzlgPvoftZRFCKEUsfIyAXxoTMN4x6hH267EGDNz6CJsywU17--i2PeXq35Ko0wikc2N5gF_xvq58S5J3t_e6godIiK52OMSkpeUqO-EQHlvkivNsEeWPflkrGl7HIWkFcM3fyNdfJEJIRvNw

Using a cell phone while driving is generally not allowed, but there can be exceptions. Credit: iStock.

Drivers are permitted to use their mobile devices for voice communications (making and receiving calls) and audio playback (listening to music) only if their devices are:
  • Able to be operated without touching any part of the phone, such as via Bluetooth or voice activation
The only way a mobile phone can be used for driver's aids, such as a GPS, is if it is securely fastened in a cradle.

Transport NSW said that mobile phone detection cameras would save lives and are 'a key initiative' to reach the government's goal of reducing road deaths and serious injuries to zero by 2056.

The organisation also wants to use the cameras to find drivers who aren't wearing seatbelts.

What do you think about this idea, folks? Do you think it's okay for a 'hidden', high-tech camera to snap photographs of drivers using their phones while they're behind the wheel? Leave your thoughts in the comments!

I don't think they should be "hidden" put them in full view as a deterrent and if they still use them then cop what's coming to you.

If the government could make money from suicide they'd work out a way to sell it to the public and try to.stop.it, that being said I do agree with these cameras, so many times I've seen.people texting whilst driving, all over the road, super dangerous, no regard for fellow road users, should be no fine but instant loss of license for 6 weeks first offence then 6 months 2nd offence and so on, the government only really wants to.revenue raise.

If the government could make money from suicide they'd work out a way to sell it to the public and try to.stop.it, that being said I do agree with these cameras, so many times I've seen.people texting whilst driving, all over the road, super dangerous, no regard for fellow road users, should be no fine but instant loss of license for 6 weeks first offence then 6 months 2nd offence and so on, the government only really wants to.revenue raise.
If you don't break the law, you don't pay revenue, I'm all for doubling the fines because people will still drive without a licence.

Break the law , then pay the price, its NOT Ok to be on a phone while driving, no matter how confident you are in your own ability to do so.. The "What ifs" far out weigh the " I'm Ok doing so.."... although you may not actually cause the accident, your ability to be capable of avoiding an accident is seriously compromised...Just don't do it, & who cares about the cameras..

Does the same thing apply to resetting the gps if you don’t have one that you can talk too ?

Reactions: Ricci
If you're not doing the wrong thing you shouldn't be worried about cameras, hidden or not. Personally I wouldn't care if there were cameras every 50 metres and the fines were $1000 or more. Drive to the rules and you won't get fined and maybe I can reach home safe and sound.;)

If you don't break the law, you don't pay revenue, I'm all for doubling the fines because people will still drive without a licence.
Some people have lots of money so it's not a deterrent, people drive without a licence and the cars plates come up as unlicensed driver, they will get caught. Don't break the law My ass.

Reactions: Gaena and Ricci
Does the same thing apply to resetting the gps if you don’t have one that you can talk too ?
That’s a question I have asked many a time with no answer,yet you allowed to “fiddle” with your auto / apple screen in your vehicle while driving ??…….

We all know the rules. Do the crime, accept the fine.

Wished they did more for suicide then maybe my brother inlaw might still be alive.

• Sad
If you're not doing the wrong thing you shouldn't be worried about cameras, hidden or not. Personally I wouldn't care if there were cameras every 50 metres and the fines were $1000 or more. Drive to the rules and you won't get fined and maybe I can reach home safe and sound.;)
Totally agree. I reckon only the offenders grizzle.

People complain that they are "revenue raisers" .. but .. if you are doing nothing wrong then you have nothing to worry about. As a bus driver, I see people on their phones everyday and their driving is shocking. Weaving all over the road and just sitting after the lights have changed.
Just when will these morons learn ?

I think it's a great idea.

If a driver needs to be on the phone then pullover.

It's a known fact that a high percentage of accidents happen while using phones

So many people will actually text while driving .

How can you concentrate on driving and texting the same time.

My daughter was involved in two car accidents and it wouldn't surprise me if she hadn't been texting on her phone.

I'm all for it.
Me too I have no sympathy for drivers that get caught