125grams seeded raisins
75 grams sultanas
150 grams dates - chopped
150 grams prunes - chopped
100 grams glacé apricot - finely chopped - Note #1
100 grams glacé pineapple- finely chopped - Note #2
Half cup brandy

Note #1 glacé apricots is not always readily available so I use dried apricot
Note #2 glacé pineapple is not always readily available so I have used dried pear or glacé cherries

Remaining Ingredients:
125 grams unsalted butter - at room temperature
175 grams golden syrup
2 eggs - at room temperature
30 grams plain flour
1 teaspoon nutmeg
Three quarters teaspoon cinnamon
4 - 5 slices white bread - crust removed and cut into small cubes
50 grams slivered almonds

Method:
Put all the ingredients to be soaked overnight in a heat proof bowl - except the brandy. Heat brandy in a small saucepan until hot - Do Not Boil. Pour over fruit, cover and stand overnight
Following morning:
Grease well a 12 cup muffin pan. Use silicone muffin cups if you have them and place in the muffin pan holes, no need to grease
Preheat oven to 160.C
In a bowl add butter and golden syrup, using an electric beater, beat until combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
Sift flour, nutmeg and cinnamon over the fruit. Add the bread cubes, butter mixture and slivered almonds. Mix well.
Spoon mixture equally into the muffin holes. Place in middle of oven and bake for 35 - 40 minutes, or until cooked through when tested with skewer. Cool 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire cooling rack.
You may need to run a knife around the edge of muffins if you did not use liners.
Serve warm, with Brandy Sauce or Double Cream.
These freeze well, and can be reheated in the microwave, when required

Enjoy

Original recipe is from Charelsworth - which I have adapted to suit myself

36464-IMG_3872.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Just passed this recipe onto my daughter , she is making them today , she said she will soak the mixture for 24 hours. I told her I will bring the custard on Wednesday

Reactions: DLHM
@sdc I hope you post this recipe . It's a well deserved recipe that is from one of the great home cooks.

Alot of people are only seeing the recipes posted each day in the newsletter and not looking or knowing about the cooking forum Alot of these recipes are lost.

This is a ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ recipe

Last edited:
These sound absolutely delicious 😋 I will definitely be making these and I will use the dried apricots instead of glazed. Only because I don't like glazed fruit.

I am going to make these this week.

I would love them with custard
Same with glace cherries. Mum always wondered why I spat them out. They are the pits!

Ingredients:
To be soaked overnight
125grams seeded raisins
75 grams sultanas
150 grams dates - chopped
150 grams prunes - chopped
100 grams glacé apricot - finely chopped - Note #1
100 grams glacé pineapple- finely chopped - Note #2
Half cup brandy

Note #1 glacé apricots is not always readily available so I use dried apricot
Note #2 glacé pineapple is not always readily available so I have used dried pear or glacé cherries

Remaining Ingredients:
125 grams unsalted butter - at room temperature
175 grams golden syrup
2 eggs - at room temperature
30 grams plain flour
1 teaspoon nutmeg
Three quarters teaspoon cinnamon
4 - 5 slices white bread - crust removed and cut into small cubes
50 grams slivered almonds

Method:
Put all the ingredients to be soaked overnight in a heat proof bowl - except the brandy. Heat brandy in a small saucepan until hot - Do Not Boil. Pour over fruit, cover and stand overnight
Following morning:
Grease well a 12 cup muffin pan. Use silicone muffin cups if you have them and place in the muffin pan holes, no need to grease
Preheat oven to 160.C
In a bowl add butter and golden syrup, using an electric beater, beat until combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
Sift flour, nutmeg and cinnamon over the fruit. Add the bread cubes, butter mixture and slivered almonds. Mix well.
Spoon mixture equally into the muffin holes. Place in middle of oven and bake for 35 - 40 minutes, or until cooked through when tested with skewer. Cool 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire cooling rack.
You may need to run a knife around the edge of muffins if you did not use liners.
Serve warm, with Brandy Sauce or Double Cream.
These freeze well, and can be reheated in the microwave, when required

Enjoy

Original recipe is from Charelsworth - which I have adapted to suit myself

Thank you for the recipe and Merry Christmas 🎄