I only use my mobile for calls and texts, I will not use it for any banking or emails as i have never thought it was safe preferring to use a PC with security that I trust, I admit that it can sometimes be inconvenient but will not back down on it. One concern that I have is the insistence of some telcos that you have to pay your bill by direct debit, they will not accept any other form of payment, when purchasing my last phone from Telstra I had to hand over my debit card so that the direct debit could be set up. why could I not pay the way I have for the last 20 years, that is they issue an invoice for the monthly bill and I then pay it, I have never been issued with a default from Telstra, have always paid on time, but NO if I wish to remain with Telstra a direct debit is the only payment method that they will accept now. Why is it that the telcos have so much influence on our lives and are allowed to dictate to us like this. Yes it would have been easier to walk away from the deal for the new phone and go elsewhere but living in a regional area with limited mobile signal and Telstra being the strongest I did not have a choice, again I am being dictated to.
My neighbour is with Telstra and he receives a paper bill every month and pays at the post office.

My mobile is with Optus but I don't keep any information on there, it's for calls and text only so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.;)
Ihave my Optus app on my phone but they said those passwords were safe?

Yes, I agree. It was only a matter of time before this happened. I don't do online banking because of the risk. And no direct debits. I don't know what we as consumers/victims are supposed to do about this.
That sounds very paranoid. I'm the complete opposite. I've only ever done online banking and every bill I pay, especially for all utilities and rates, is by direct debit for a set monthly amount.

I certainly don't lose any sleep about my money going missing anywhere, which it never has. I've also been an Optus customer for a few years and won't be changing any of my details unless I really have to.

I was with Optus about 14 years ago. How do I know if the breach got my details?
I have been with Optus for over 20 so I know mine are gone. People say "Change Carriers" , why, what good is that going to do, Telstra will fail same as Optus one day, they both use the same equipment made in China. Most other carriers either use Optus or Telstra as their supplier, the few that don't have not got much coverage around the country anyway so really, a pointless exercise.