Status
Not open for further replies.

Millions of Aussies affected: How the new changes to your JobSeeker welfare payments could impact you

For a significant number of retired and unemployed Australians, welfare payments are the primary source of income.

That’s why we here at Seniors Discount Club are always keeping a keen eye on any government changes that could affect your payment plans.

Due to a recent parliament-passed increase, welfare recipients are gearing up to welcome a substantial $40-a-fortnight boost.

Considering the current cost of living crisis, this additional income is set to benefit millions of Australians.

jobseeker1.jpeg
The increase in payments has been confirmed after key legislation passed by federal parliament. Credit: Shutterstock

Australians without children on Jobseeker can expect a climb from a little over $693 to around $749 a fortnight starting from September 20 under the new amendments.

This sizable top-up consists of a pre-revealed $40-per-fortnight bump in the federal budget, coupled with an additional increment of $16 as a regular part of indexation.

In the same vein, senior JobSeekers can look forward to an incremental leap to $802.50 per fortnight.

Moreover, single parents with children aged eight and above will be eligible for the higher Parenting Payment Single rate. This amendment will insert an extra $177 into their accounts each fortnight until their youngest child reaches 14.

Services such as Youth Allowance, Parenting Payment (Partnered), Austudy, ABSTUDY Living Allowance, Disability Support Pension (Youth) and the Special Benefit will also increase by $40 per fortnight.

Social Services Minister Amanda Rishworth has stated these increases will ease the cost of living pressures for around two million Australians.

Labor assistant minister Tim Ayres has agreed, expressing that the safety net bill is marking a ‘very substantial improvement’ in welfare, one that will create a tangible difference.

However, it's also worth noting that the Greens pushed for an even further increase to the income support rate to $88 a day–or $1232 a fortnight–to lift it beyond the poverty line as the cost of living and housing crisis continues to bite hard.

jobseeker2.jpeg
The base rates of working-age and student payments will increase by $40 per fortnight. Credit: Shutterstock

Unsuccessful in their quest, Greens senator Janet Rice voiced her disappointment.

Highlighting the ongoing struggle, she stated that passing the modest increase would only condemn vulnerable people to poverty instead of offering a substantial solution conducive to welfare, health, and job search.

‘Which is absolutely bad for their wellbeing, their health and their ability to get a job—if you’ve got people living in poverty, you’re not in a position to be able to get a job,’ Senator Rice said.

‘It is absolutely shameful.’

Senator Ayres also stated he respected the arguments for higher welfare payments; however, the government was dealing with increased pressures on the budget, and higher rates would further cost ‘billions and billions of dollars’.

Independent senator David Pocock—who supported the idea of increasing payments to $88 a day, stated that the government was ‘kidding itself’ if it thought it could save money on welfare expenses and not spend it on other sectors, such as health and policing.

‘We’re going to have to pick up the bill eventually, and so it’s such short-term thinking to think that “Oh, we can just rip away social security payments, have people living in poverty, and that’s better for taxpayers”—it’s not,’ he explained.

‘We will be paying the cost when it comes to the health of those people who can’t afford fresh food, who can’t afford the basic necessities in life and who certainly can’t afford to fulfil scripts, to go and see the GP when they need it.’

The opposition and the Greens also made an effort to increase the threshold people could earn before experiencing a drop in their benefits from $150 to $300.

But that, too, didn’t pass, and Liberal frontbencher Anne Ruston commented that incentivising people to work more hours would create better job opportunities than increasing the welfare pay.

‘We philosophically believe that increasing the income-free areas and taking away the barriers... is a much more effective way of getting people back into the workforce,’ she stated.

While the debate about the effectiveness of these changes continues, there’s no denying that it is a small step towards helping vulnerable people around the country.
Key Takeaways
  • Welfare recipients in Australia are set to receive a $40-a-fortnight increase, boosting payments for those on JobSeeker and other welfare programs from September 20.
  • The Greens had proposed a higher increase to bring income support rates above the poverty line, which was rejected by the government and opposition.
  • Single parents with children aged eight and above will be eligible for the higher Parenting Payment Single rate, gaining an additional $177 each fortnight until their youngest child turns 14.
  • Despite calls for higher welfare payments, the government cited significant pressures on the budget, with other cost-of-living measures introduced to work alongside the increase.
If you have more questions about this recent change, we highly encourage getting in touch with Services Australia.

So, what are your thoughts, members? Do you think $40 a fortnight is enough to tide you over amid the high cost of living? Tell us your thoughts below!

Sponsored
Firstly, the aged pension is index every year, so your wrong. Secondly, you are over estimating how much tax you have paid verse how much you get back. The bulk of the wealth of this country comes from mining taxes by a country mile. Most welfare dependent (and the age pension is welfare) get far more back than they EVER paid in tax.
so is centrelink payments and yet the aged and disabled are treated like we do not excist
the last 6 monthly payment the aged got %3.2 the unemployed %6 and single parents %15 and it looks like in the next increase it is even worse for pensioners and the disabled
I am not wrong and you should check the facts before commenting

Reactions: SandyM
i would have thought the people who originally built this country would all be dead.
obviosly you do not know there was a second world war in which my parents fought in and afterwards moVed to AUSTRALIA
WHEREwe lived was 5 miles from ADELAIDE and it was all paddocks
The nearest place was half a mile away and that was a pub
LOOK AT IT NOW houses and shops everywhere for miles and miles
So how many of the single parents and unemployed helped build this country
By the way back then there was no welfare so everyone had to work and no one had children they could not bring up or afford
THATS THE WAY IT WAS AND THAT IS THE WAY IT SHOULD BE
AFTER ALL PEOPLE ARE NOT BORN TO BE PARENTED BY THOSE THAT WORK S TAXES OR SIT AT HOME ENJOYING THE GOOD LIFE OF DOING NOTHING AND THE EMPLOYED PAYING FOR IT

50 years ago, EVERY 'parent' received Child Endowment payments, not means tested so even the wealthiest received the payment. Very very broad (anecdotal) 'evidence' you've provided. Systematic long term unemployment has been a major issue with welfare for the past 50+ years (definition of long term unemployed it 12mth). Difference between then and now is once the dole recipient reach 60 (women) & 65 (men) they went straight on to the aged pension (not means tested). Equally, the vast majority went onto a 'Mature Aged Allowance' at the age of 55 and were not longer required to seek work. Single parents (now) are required to work once their youngest turns 6, wasn't the case in those good ole days you reference. Welfare is NOT an entitlement, it's an eligibility that needs to be met to receive. For the past 30+ years all working Australians will have built up a superannuation fund, if you think you should retire at 60, do it and use the funds from your super.
yes i remember my parents getting child endowment of one pound a month
thats 50 cent per week in todays standard and yet both my parents worked
DID YOURS OR DID THEY LIVE ON THE CHILD ENDOWMENT and once again you cannot get your facts right
IT IS 14 YEARS of age for a child now that single parents can bludge of taxpayers now
ALSO THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AS SUPERANNUATION BACK IN THE 50,S 60,S OR 70.S AND think the super started in the late 70s ,or 80,s
check your facts as i know what i am talking about and you do not

so is centrelink payments and yet the aged and disabled are treated like we do not excist
the last 6 monthly payment the aged got %3.2 the unemployed %6 and single parents %15 and it looks like in the next increase it is even worse for pensioners and the disabled
I am not wrong and you should check the facts before commenting

i would have thought the people who originally built this country would all be dead.
you are a stupid idiot and from your answer i can guess you are on the unemployment list or have a child that taxpayers support
whoever it was that built this country it was not the unemployed obviously and i think single parents had no choice but to work or starve
what category are you in

You're dependent on a welfare payment, if you don't have the resource ie. sufficient superannuation to live off independently (see the word in the word) you are on welfare.
NO, I RECEIVE AN AGE PENSION WHICH I CONTRIBUTED TO THROUGH MY TAX'S I PAID THROUGHOUT MY WORKING LIFE. SUPER CAME IN TOO LATE FOR ME TO BE FULLY SELF FUNDED, NOT MY FAULT. I REFUSE TO LET ANYONE SAY I RECEIVE WELFARE, JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE MORE MONEY THAN MYSELF DOES NOT QUALIFY YOU TO SAY THINGS THAT ARE INSULTING TO PEOPLE ON THE AGE PENSION.

Reactions: SandyM
once again for the 6TH TIME in the last 3 years i see no EXTRA increases for the people who built this country and paid their taxes after working 50 years plus while people who can sit at home and do nothing get rewarded more once again
lets not forget the single parents who cannot afford to bring up children also get rewarded for doing nothing other than have children
WHY ARENT PENSIONERS AND THE DISABLED TREATED THE SAME OR BETTER THAN DOLE BLUDGERS AND PEOPLE WHO DO NOTHING IN THIS COUNTRY EXCEPT HAVE CHILDREN THEY CANNOT AFFORD AND GET REWARDED FOR IT
AMANDA RISHTON NEEDS TO START TREATING HER PEERS AS WELL AS SHE TREATS SINGLE PARENTS and the unemployed especially as they can fix themselves by not having children that they cannot afford and the unemployed can get jobs if they are not payed so much to do nothing
THE AGED HAVE MOTAGES AND EVERYTHING ELSE TO PAY FOR AND THEY SHOULD ALSO BE REWARDED AND NOT NEGLECTED
Part of the plan...... get rid of the pensioners and have a society of clueless individuals... they are easier to manipulate.....

NO, I RECEIVE AN AGE PENSION WHICH I CONTRIBUTED TO THROUGH MY TAX'S I PAID THROUGHOUT MY WORKING LIFE. SUPER CAME IN TOO LATE FOR ME TO BE FULLY SELF FUNDED, NOT MY FAULT. I REFUSE TO LET ANYONE SAY I RECEIVE WELFARE, JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE MORE MONEY THAN MYSELF DOES NOT QUALIFY YOU TO SAY THINGS THAT ARE INSULTING TO PEOPLE ON THE AGE PENSION.

i am in the same boat as you
whatever money that i saved was used on my wife who was very sick for over 10 years and all i could do for her was pay for her medication and her special needs to make her as comfortable as i could untill she passed
I know that i paid my dues like you and got no help financially or medical help
i wonder if things went back to the 60s or 70s whether there would be so many bludgers or unemployed or single parents if the govt did not reward them with welfare
Aged pension was earnt by over 50 years working
All the other welfare payments are a joke
one child and a single parent does not have to work for fourteen years and have a second child after 10 years thats 24 years of doing nothing and i know people who have been on the dole for over 20 years and gets away with it

Part of the plan...... get rid of the pensioners and have a society of clueless individuals... they are easier to manipulate.....
ITS STRAIGHT OUT DISCRIMINSATION TO ME
PENSIONERS HAVE MORE BILLS TO PAY THAN THE UNEMPLOYED AS THEY EITHER STILL LIVE AT HOME OR DO HOUSE SHARE
PENSIONERS DO NOT
AS FAR AS SINGLE PARENTS GO THEY GET PAID MORE THAN ANYONDE IF YOU TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE MONEY THE FATHER OR IN A FEW CASES THE MOTHER HAVE TO PAY ON MAINTEMANCE
EVEN ON THE AVERAGE WAGE THEY ARE RECEIVING AN EXTRA $320 per fortnight %18 before tax

Reactions: IAN3005
Firstly, the aged pension is index every year, so your wrong. Secondly, you are over estimating how much tax you have paid verse how much you get back. The bulk of the wealth of this country comes from mining taxes by a country mile. Most welfare dependent (and the age pension is welfare) get far more back than they EVER paid in tax.
yes it is indexed twice a year and as far as taxes go i am sure i paid a hell of a lot more tax than the unemployed and single parents
i paid into super and twice while paying into super THE SUPER FINDS CRASHED DUE TO THE STOCK MARKET and each time nearly half the funds put in disapeard
THE UNEMPLOYED AND SINGLE PARENTS DO NOT COMTRIBUTE ANY THING INTO SUPER SO THAT MEANS THEY WILL PROBABLY BE IN WELFARE ALL THEIR LIVES
JUST TO POINT OUT A FACT
UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN MY TAX RECORDS OR KNOW WHAT I DID FOR A LIVING HOW MUCH TAX DO YOU THINK I PAID OVER 56 YEARS OF WORKING ALSO MY WIFE WORKED FOR45 YEARS
TOGETHER I AM SURE I PAID MORE TAXES THAN YOU OVER THE YEARS AND I NEVER HAD CHILDREN I COULD NOT AFFORD OR BLUDGED OM THE DOLE
I SAY BLUDGED AS I THINK MOST OF THE PEOPLE ON UNEMPLOYED ARE PROFFESSIONAL BLUDGERS IF UNEMPLOYYED MORE THAN 12 MONTHS AND IF SINGLE PARENTS HAVE MORE THAN 1 MISTAKE ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE ALREADY OM SINGLE PARENTS PENSION THEN IT IS DELIBERATE TO STAY ON THAT PENSION
ONE MISTAKE O.K.BUT AFTER THAT THEN NO ONE SHOULD BE REWARDED FOR DOING THE SAME MISTAKE AGAIN TO KEEP THEIR WELFARE

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seniors Discount Club

The SDC searches for the best deals, discounts, and bargains for Aussies over 60. From everyday expenses like groceries and eating out, to electronics, fashion and travel, the club is all about helping you make your money go further.
  1. New members
  2. Jokes & fun
  3. Photography
  4. Nostalgia / Yesterday's Australia
  5. Food and Lifestyle
  6. Money Saving Hacks
  7. Offtopic / Everything else

Latest Articles

• We believe that retirement should be a time to relax and enjoy life, not worry about money. That's why we're here to help our members make the most of their retirement years. If you're over 60 and looking for ways to save money, connect with others, and have a laugh, we’d love to have you aboard.
  • Advertise with us

User Menu

Enjoyed Reading our Story?

• Share this forum to your loved ones.
Change Weather Postcode×
Change Petrol Postcode×