Milk Cake

This is a cake recipe I've made a few times.

What I love is that it's delicious as is or you can change it up by adding your favourite citrus or toppings.
I love combining cinnamon and caster sugar and sprinkle on the top as soon as its out of the oven

Hot-Milk-Cake-FT24_386_ST_0508_9.jpg
Recipe by Taste of Home

PREP TIME 20 min
COOK TIME 30 min
Servings 16

Ingredients​

• 4 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2-1/4 cups plain flour
  • 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/4 cups full cream milk
  • 150g butter, cubed

Directions​

1. Preheat oven to 175°C or 155°C fan-forced. In a large bowl, beat eggs on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to batter, beating on low speed until smooth.
  2. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter just until butter is melted. Gradually add to batter; beat just until combined.
  3. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Make an upside-down hot milk cake: For a hot milk cake with fruit, line the bottom of the pan with your favorite fruit (e.g., blueberries, thinly sliced peaches, or pineapple) before pouring in the batter. Bake as directed, let cool, then flip the cake over to reveal the fruity bottom before serving . To prevent sticking, I suggest lining the pan with baking paper.

How to Store Hot Milk Cake​

Store hot milk cake at room temperature in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic for up to four days.

Can you freeze hot milk cake?​

Yes! Like many cakes, you can freeze this hot milk cake recipe. To freeze, wrap the cake tightly in plastic and then a layer of aluminum foil. Then, freeze for up to three months. To enjoy, thaw overnight at room temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
Like the idea of being able to freeze this cake & keep for 3 months. Thanks for the hint @ Suzanne rose.

I have visions of dividing this up into halves or more & remove & thaw as needed.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Let us know how it goes and if you added anything different
I made the cake yesterday ( Friday ) ,,it's big enough for at least 12 people or put 1/2 in the freezer,,,I used a 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice to replace the same amount of milk,,it is soooo good,,putting it in my make again folder,,thanks for this awesome cake recipe Suzanne

I made the cake yesterday ( Friday ) ,,it's big enough for at least 12 people or put 1/2 in the freezer,,,I used a 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice to replace the same amount of milk,,it is soooo good,,putting it in my make again folder,,thanks for this awesome cake recipe Suzanne
Thanks for the tip. Yet again I have an abundance of lemons. 1/4 cup of lemon juice with 1 cup of milk sounds perfect!

Reactions: anouch
How have you been ? Well I hope !
There was a Polish chap when l was doing my apprenticeship who would answer that question in %'s. Like him l'm 50/50 thanks Suzanne. I'm hoping he will agree with me on Monday & order another round of cortisone injections, otherwise good thankyou.

Just as importantly, how have you been? I have read with interest your comments about your T.V. Cooking series. Hope plans are on track for this.

There was a Polish chap when l was doing my apprenticeship who would answer that question in %'s. Like him l'm 50/50 thanks Suzanne. I'm hoping he will agree with me on Monday & order another round of cortisone injections, otherwise good thankyou.

Just as importantly, how have you been? I have read with interest your comments about your T.V. Cooking series. Hope plans are on track for this.
I hope you manage to get the injection .
My kitchen is in a mess, my new kitchen was supposed to go in on Tuesday when we went to pay the balance on Thursday, he told us our benches were there, when we looked there was damage on the side of the breakfast bench. It had been hit hard in transit.
Now I'm waiting another two weeks, just gave away mist of my kitchen stuff and don't want to open my new items until kitchen is in. So I'm cooking with two pots.
It could be worst but I hate mess and unorganisation

• Sad
Reactions: Ezzy and Penny4
Have you got a Pyrex dish you can use that’s what I make my fruit cake and fudge slice in.
I gave just about everything away except for a few sentimental pieces. If I get desperate I can open the new ones up but would prefer to wait for the kitchen.

It was supposed to be installed Tuesday but in transit part of the bench got damaged . They tried saying it could still be installed but as our installer guy said when we called that we were paying for perfect goods not damaged.

My granddaughter just asked me to make banana bread and this granddaughter thinks the new kitchen is going in so I can make her birthday cake ( a barbie cake)

Tempted to open things up though.

I gave just about everything away except for a few sentimental pieces. If I get desperate I can open the new ones up but would prefer to wait for the kitchen.

It was supposed to be installed Tuesday but in transit part of the bench got damaged . They tried saying it could still be installed but as our installer guy said when we called that we were paying for perfect goods not damaged.

My granddaughter just asked me to make banana bread and this granddaughter thinks the new kitchen is going in so I can make her birthday cake ( a barbie cake)

Tempted to open things up though.
Oh dear it’s a case of “will I won’t I” 🤔

my darling little G Grandson absolutely loved it,,he ate 2 pieces and I sent him home with more