SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
Sethia Soliman

Sethia Soliman

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2022
Milk at school

Members, do you remember the good ol’ days when you’d line up to get your daily dose of calcium in one of these milk bottles at school? Some students were assigned as ‘milk monitors’, while the luckier ones had flavoured straws to sip all the creamy goodness with! Did you enjoy these back in the day? Share your fond memories with us here.

Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 5.41.22 PM.png
Source: Tracey Smith/Facebook

Yes, I remember lining up for milk in bottles every morning at school, but didn't like it very much...til they brought in flavoured milk! Caramel was my fave aged 11 or 12 during 72 - 73. Also pouches were introduced, but were slippery and poor little kids would lose all their milk in the dirt! We stood under the shade of a huge tree during Summer. A small bush school in Nthn. NSW. I recall snipping a corner of the pouch with scissors to poke the straw in. Pouches were not the best invention at the time!

YEAHHHH flavoured straws!! The only thing that helped me drink that warm yukky milk! So pleased to see them mentioned, when I mention flavoured straws people look at me oddly (not that they don't normally). I was starting to think my mind was playing more games with me. I don't recall flavoured milk, must have been after my school years.

YEAHHHH flavoured straws!! The only thing that helped me drink that warm yukky milk! So pleased to see them mentioned, when I mention flavoured straws people look at me oddly (not that they don't normally). I was starting to think my mind was playing more games with me. I don't recall flavoured milk, must have been after my school years.
Haha sounds cool those straws! We had flavoured milk in those silly slippery pouches, as mentioned I was 11 or 12 yrs old in 1972 and 73 and remember it well. My Dad dropped a large milk pouch and was not happy as we lived 45 mins drive from town
...lots of swearing, but good old neighbours gave us some milk at the time.

Yes I certainly do. If you were lucky enough to be the milk monitor (that was so cool) you could drink yours before everyone else...mainly because the crates sat in the sun at my school. I really believe us "oldies" have far better memories of our time growing up and we were so much happier and appreciative of the simple things in life...compared to todays generation.

Ours was left in the sun until "little lunch". By then it was as hot as & made many bring it back up. Those nasty nuns made us drink every sip even if we were gagging. Stupid g'ment decision

I absolutely hated school milk time as I can’t stomach full cream milk. Usually my friends would drink my bottle but if it was wet & we were confined inside with teachers supervising it was a little more difficult. We had a really nasty Year 2 teacher, I’m sure she was a witch, who made us all drink every drop until one girl became so ill, unable to stop vomitting etc that an ambulance had to be called & she was taken away to hospital. That put a stop to the enforced drinking of milk. I still am unable to drink to milk. Unfortunately, the wicked witch remained to continue terrorising us poor year 2 students as she was married to the headmaster though the local council eventually had to demand their removal from the school. Maybe I’ve got repressed trauma disorder! 😇

We used to have milk in the morning break at school. The only problem was the milkman used to leave the crate of milk bottles in the sun so by the time we got to get it, it was usually sour and undrinkable.

I absolutely hated school milk time as I can’t stomach full cream milk. Usually my friends would drink my bottle but if it was wet & we were confined inside with teachers supervising it was a little more difficult. We had a really nasty Year 2 teacher, I’m sure she was a witch, who made us all drink every drop until one girl became so ill, unable to stop vomitting etc that an ambulance had to be called & she was taken away to hospital. That put a stop to the enforced drinking of milk. I still am unable to drink to milk. Unfortunately, the wicked witch remained to continue terrorising us poor year 2 students as she was married to the headmaster though the local council eventually had to demand their removal from the school. Maybe I’ve got repressed trauma disorder! 😇
Tell centrelink about your trauma & I am sure they will put you on NDIS disability :giggle:

At my school, the kids used to almost fight over who was going to help the little old janitor (Mr Ridley) bring the milk up from the street verge and deliver to each classroom before school. On rainy days we would all have morning tea in his shed with him. Innocent times.

Reactions: Littleboy8