Microbes outpacing medicine: Health catastrophe threatening to take us back to dark ages

As we navigate through the golden years of our lives, we often find solace in the advancements of modern medicine that promise us longer, healthier lives.

However, a recent study has shadowed this optimistic landscape, revealing a chilling reality that could threaten healthcare's foundation.

The Global Research on Antimicrobial Resistance Project, in a comprehensive analysis published by The Lancet, has issued a dire warning: we may be on the brink of a medical apocalypse as microbes grow increasingly resistant to our arsenal of drugs.

The study paints a grim picture of the future, with an estimated tens of millions of people succumbing to diseases by 2050 due to antimicrobial resistance (AMR).

This resistance spans antibiotics, antivirals, antifungals, and antiparasitics, leaving us alarmingly vulnerable.

In 2021 alone, AMR was responsible for approximately 1.14 million deaths, a number that is projected to rise to 1.91 million annually by mid-century.

1726627695909.png
Experts predicted tens of millions of deaths by 2050 due to drug-resistant diseases. Credit: Shutterstock

When considering cases where AMR plays some role, the figures leap from 4.71 million to a staggering 8.2 million between 2021 and 2050.

Dr Mohsen Naghavi, the study's chief author, emphasised the gravity of the situation, stating, 'Antimicrobial medicines are one of the cornerstones of modern healthcare, and increasing resistance to them is a major cause of concern.'

‘These findings highlight that AMR has been a significant global health threat for decades and that this threat is growing.’

The regions most at risk include south, southeast, and east Asia, Oceania, and sub-Saharan Africa.

The study called for the development of new antibiotics, widespread vaccination, and measures to reduce the risk of infection and combat this looming crisis.

‘Evaluating changing trends in AMR mortality across time and location is necessary to understand how this important global health threat is developing, and prepares us to make informed decisions regarding interventions,’ the paper said.

‘Our findings show the importance of infection prevention, as shown by the reduction of AMR deaths in those younger than five years.’

‘Simultaneously, our results underscore the concerning trend of AMR burden among those older than 70 years, alongside a rapidly ageing global community.’

While AMR deaths have decreased among young children, they have risen by 80 per cent among seniors since 1990.

The elderly are more likely to require hospital care, where approximately three-quarters of AMR infections are linked, particularly to hospital-acquired infections.

The United Nations is set to discuss AMR, a topic that has become a Catch-22 for modern medicine.

Dr Branwen Morgan from the CSIRO warned, 'Bacteria and microbes evolve pretty quickly, and anything you throw at them, they’re going to find a way around,’

‘The more we use antibiotics, the faster we’re going to lose them.'

The website AMR Action and Insights examines explicitly the impact of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in Australia and delivers a concerning message.

It clarified that when resistance develops, a particular medication becomes ineffective in treating infections caused by that specific microbe.

‘This can happen when microbes are consistently exposed to antimicrobials over a long time, allowing them to evolve and become resistant,’

‘The acceleration of AMR is mainly due to the overuse and misuse of antimicrobial drugs in human and animal medicine.’

‘If we do not slow the rise of antimicrobial resistance, we will return to the dark ages of medicine where surgery becomes inherently risky, and currently treatable infections and injuries kill once again.’

‘AMR is one of the greatest threats facing humanity.’

In Australia, the AMR Action and Insights platform echoes this sentiment, cautioning that drugs become ineffective against certain microbes once resistance occurs.

The acceleration of AMR is largely attributed to the overuse and misuse of antimicrobial drugs in both human and animal medicine.

Without action to curb this trend, we risk reverting to an era where surgery is inherently risky, and treatable infections and injuries become lethal once more.
Key Takeaways
  • A scientific analysis predicted tens of millions of deaths by 2050 due to diseases becoming more resistant to drugs.
  • The study highlighted the challenge of antimicrobial resistance (AMR), affecting antibiotics, antivirals, antifungals, and antiparasitics.
  • The researchers called for developing new antibiotics, better infection prevention, widespread vaccination, and minimising inappropriate drug use.
  • The AMR burden varies by age and location, with a notable decline in AMR-related deaths in children under five and an increase in older populations.
Have you or someone you know been affected by drug-resistant infections? How can we tackle this growing threat? Feel free to share your insights in the comments below.

• Wow
Reactions: Dynamo
Sponsored
I managed to contract an infection called acinetobacter baumannii following a throat operation 9 years ago. I believe is was contracted off breathing equipment in ICU. I've just come out of my 14th operation as a result of this bug which effectively thickens phlegm in my throat to the extent that when/if I can cough it out, the extra effort shrinks my throat.
Standard male trachea is 16-18mm and the first time it happened mine was down to 4-5mm & I was struggling to breathe. I go back roughly 7-8 month intervals to have a medical balloon inserted to re-stretch my throat.
Statistics show that internationally approx 75% of this type of infection is picked up off breathing equipment in ICU's around the world.
It is possible to have an injection to kill this bug but it could also severely damage the kidneys so THAT just ain't happening

Because I am aware of the possibility of antibiotics becoming non-active due to overuse I am not a fan of being prescribed them too regularly. But I rely on the wisdom of my GP not to over-supply me with these. It seems that knowledge of the antibiotics is essential

Too funny, "...the advancements of modern medicine that promise us longer, healthier lives." So much so that we have more obesity, heart disease, auto-immune disease, tourettes, ADD, ADHD, and the list goes on. So how far advanced are we actually?
I'm in my sixties. No-one I know at my age has auto-immune, tourettes, ADD nor ADHD. Is medication/vaccination actually making us sicker?

Reactions: Glucose