Michael J. Fox's shocking health confession will break your heart

Content Warning: This article mentions death, Parkinson’s disease, and other diseases that may be sensitive to read about for some. Discretion is advised.

We all loved the actor and Parkinson’s advocate, Michael J. Fox, in his well-known Hollywood hit, Back to the Future. But it's no secret that he has had to fight for his health for many years now.

This week, the Hollywood star opened up about his long battle with the debilitating disease and revealed a shocking and heartbreaking health scare he had previously kept secret from the public.

In 1991, Fox was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease—he was only 29. He went public with his diagnosis seven years later, in 1998.

But now, the 62-year-old is revealing stark truths about his health, admitting that losing battle with Parkinson's ‘wouldn’t be unheard of’.

'One day, I'll run out of gas. One day I'll just say, “It's not going to happen. I'm not going out today.” If that comes, I'll allow myself that. I'm 62 years old. Certainly, if I were to pass away tomorrow, it would be premature, but it wouldn't be unheard of,' he said.

Fox has had several serious health scares in the last decade that are testament to just how much he's had to fight.

shutterstock_93778384.jpg
Actor Michael J. Fox confessed about his health condition after his long-term battle with Parkinson’s disease. Credit: Shutterstock

In 2018, the Back to the Future actor underwent surgery after doctors had discovered a tumour near his spine—something that could cause him to be permanently disabled. However, after several months of rehabilitation, he eventually learned to walk again—only to end up breaking his arm a few months later.

Fox also recently revealed that his hand had an infection and was ‘almost losing it’.

'My hand got infected, and then I almost lost it. It was a tsunami of misfortune,' he said.

He said in a CBS Sunday Morning interview that falling ‘is a big killer with Parkinson's’.

‘Falling and aspirating food and getting pneumonia—all these subtle ways that get you.’

He also admitted that he couldn't see himself living another 20 years from now, despite his will to survive.

'You don’t die from Parkinson’s; you die with Parkinson’s. So I’ve been thinking of the mortality of it. I’m not going to be 80. I’m not going to 80.'

In a similar story, Scottish comedian actor Sir Bill Connolly also shared his health update after his decade-long battle with Parkinson’s disease, which led him to ‘a couple of falls’. Read more about his story here.

Key Takeaways

• Michael J Fox has opened up about his long-term struggle with Parkinson's disease and recent health scares.
  • The Hollywood star was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 1991 and has had numerous health battles since, including a tumour near his spine, an infected hand, and several injuries.
  • Fox noted that he does not anticipate living another two decades, acknowledging the mortality of his Parkinson's diagnosis.
  • He stated that he does not fear death, saying it 'wouldn't be unheard of' considering his condition and age.

Members, always take care and consult with your GP whenever necessary!

What do you think of Michael J. Fox’s confession? Do you know someone who’s currently living with Parkinson’s? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I have always enjoyed anything with Michael in it, I well remember watching the Back to the Future movies with my kids, we still have them in our collection. It is sad to watch his decline with Parkinson’s, but he is such a good ambassador about it and I’m sure has been an inspiration to many people who have Parkinson’s. Great to see he is not letting it dictate his life, hopefully he will be around for many years to come.

I feel for both Michael J Fox and Billy Connelly.
Michael has been an amazing speaker for this horrible disease and its so sad at how young he was when he was diagnosed

My grandfather had it and overnight he became a man he wouldn't have wanted to be. It took away his whole independence, he shook that bad he couldn't hold his cup or even feed himself. He also lost control of his bladder ..
This was a man who seemed to grow old overnight .Only months before hand he was working and going
to the races every Saturday.
He passed away 5 years later but from complications with cancer not Parkinsons. My mother was diagnosed last year at the age of 75

Last edited:
Content Warning: This article mentions death, Parkinson’s disease, and other diseases that may be sensitive to read about for some. Discretion is advised.

We all loved the actor and Parkinson’s advocate, Michael J. Fox, in his well-known Hollywood hit, Back to the Future. But it's no secret that he has had to fight for his health for many years now.

This week, the Hollywood star opened up about his long battle with the debilitating disease and revealed a shocking and heartbreaking health scare he had previously kept secret from the public.

In 1991, Fox was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease—he was only 29. He went public with his diagnosis seven years later, in 1998.

But now, the 62-year-old is revealing stark truths about his health, admitting that losing battle with Parkinson's ‘wouldn’t be unheard of’.

'One day, I'll run out of gas. One day I'll just say, “It's not going to happen. I'm not going out today.” If that comes, I'll allow myself that. I'm 62 years old. Certainly, if I were to pass away tomorrow, it would be premature, but it wouldn't be unheard of,' he said.

Fox has had several serious health scares in the last decade that are testament to just how much he's had to fight.

View attachment 34074
Actor Michael J. Fox confessed about his health condition after his long-term battle with Parkinson’s disease. Credit: Shutterstock

In 2018, the Back to the Future actor underwent surgery after doctors had discovered a tumour near his spine—something that could cause him to be permanently disabled. However, after several months of rehabilitation, he eventually learned to walk again—only to end up breaking his arm a few months later.

Fox also recently revealed that his hand had an infection and was ‘almost losing it’.

'My hand got infected, and then I almost lost it. It was a tsunami of misfortune,' he said.

He said in a CBS Sunday Morning interview that falling ‘is a big killer with Parkinson's’.

‘Falling and aspirating food and getting pneumonia—all these subtle ways that get you.’

He also admitted that he couldn't see himself living another 20 years from now, despite his will to survive.

'You don’t die from Parkinson’s; you die with Parkinson’s. So I’ve been thinking of the mortality of it. I’m not going to be 80. I’m not going to 80.'

In a similar story, Scottish comedian actor Sir Bill Connolly also shared his health update after his decade-long battle with Parkinson’s disease, which led him to ‘a couple of falls’. Read more about his story here.

Key Takeaways

• Michael J Fox has opened up about his long-term struggle with Parkinson's disease and recent health scares.
  • The Hollywood star was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 1991 and has had numerous health battles since, including a tumour near his spine, an infected hand, and several injuries.
  • Fox noted that he does not anticipate living another two decades, acknowledging the mortality of his Parkinson's diagnosis.
  • He stated that he does not fear death, saying it 'wouldn't be unheard of' considering his condition and age.

What do you think of Michael J. Fox’s confession? Do you know someone who’s currently living with Parkinson’s? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
A friend's father had it a very debilitating disease hopefully they can find a cure or a way to control the disease for those that have it to lead a full life 😢

View attachment 34074

Key Takeaways

My dear father in law passed away with Parkinsons that caused aspiration pneumonia. He was diagnosed in his early 60's and passed away at age 78..Michael J Fox's courage to share his story and his survival so far is inspirational..

I adore Michael Fox and have always admired him as an actor and survivor.
Believe it or not, some Parkinson's can be cured with brain surgery.

I had a friend who was diagnosed with Parkinson's' at age 38. He was in his late 50s at the time we met when he was awaiting surgery.
His doctor had recommended he meet up with another patient (approximately 15 years younger) who had the surgery and was unbelievably, completely cured!

This friend had no family in Australia so I offered to care for him during the first 2 weeks after surgery.
Initially, there was very little or practically no change whatsoever and he was still completely helpless in walking, bathing, eating, etc., but that didn't last long.

I recall one incident when we first went to a mall, proudly, but slowly walking around, with multiple staples on his shaven head, people would stare and he would yell out, "Frankenstein!"
The surgery, however, was only 50% successful, but it still allowed him to walk and even drive a car again.
Sadly, he passed away about 10 years later from unrelated natural causes. MHDSRIP ❤️

I feel for both Michael J Fox and Billy Connelly.
Michael has been an amazing speaker for this horrible disease and uts so sad at hiw young he was when he was diagnosed

My grandfather had it and overnight he became a man he wouldn't have wanted to be. It took away his whole independence, he shook that bad he couldn't hold his cup or even feed himself. He also lost control of his bladder ..
This was a man who seemed to grow old overnight .Only months before hand he was working and going
to thr races every Saturday.
He passed away 5 years later but from complications with cancer not Parkinsons. My mother was diagnosed last year at the age of 75
I'm sorry for the dealings you've had to have with Parkinson's. I suffer with this insidious disease and yes it robs you of your life. If I didn't have my daughter who cares for me I'd be lost. She manages to make me smile when things aren't perfect. She's had bibs made from pretty tea towels, cuts my food up, makes sure my tea isn't too hot, you know all the mundane things. My constant flow of laundry due to horrid bladder symptoms. Even though my family are amazing it's still a lonely life at times. But positive side I do water colour painting and my tremors create some beautiful scenery ✨☺️ 😊 God bless your Mum and your family Suzanne Rose 🌹

I'm sorry for the dealings you've had to have with Parkinson's. I suffer with this insidious disease and yes it robs you of your life. If I didn't have my daughter who cares for me I'd be lost. She manages to make me smile when things aren't perfect. She's had bibs made from pretty tea towels, cuts my food up, makes sure my tea isn't too hot, you know all the mundane things. My constant flow of laundry due to horrid bladder symptoms. Even though my family are amazing it's still a lonely life at times. But positive side I do water colour painting and my tremors create some beautiful scenery ✨☺️ 😊 God bless your Mum and your family Suzanne Rose 🌹
I hear you and I understand what you are going thru - Parkinson's tests even the hardy.
My husband has had it for almost 14 years - he is now 73 yrs old and in the final stages of getting off a drug that he should never have been put on - it has been hard but we find reasons to laugh and be silly every day. The best part is seeing him coming back to being near what he was before he was put on this drug - standing straight, going from A-B in a relative straight line and much steadier on his feet - I don't think I could handle many more falls to be honest. His bladder is a little better - like you he gets depressed with the lack of control.
Like you he does things that he loves and it all helps.
Kind thoughts to you and your family.

I hear you and I understand what you are going thru - Parkinson's tests even the hardy.
My husband has had it for almost 14 years - he is now 73 yrs old and in the final stages of getting off a drug that he should never have been put on - it has been hard but we find reasons to laugh and be silly every day. The best part is seeing him coming back to being near what he was before he was put on this drug - standing straight, going from A-B in a relative straight line and much steadier on his feet - I don't think I could handle many more falls to be honest. His bladder is a little better - like you he gets depressed with the lack of control.
Like you he does things that he loves and it all helps.
Kind thoughts to you and your family.
What is the drug your husband is being weaned off? My husband is 75 and has had PD for 10 to 15 years. He has been put on different medications that have done nothing, or caused problems, and then either weaned off them or had the dosage decreased. I feel at the mercy of Doctors who we have to put our trust in. Falls, depression, needing help with dressing and shaving, loss of independence when his licence was suspended, not sleeping at night and much more. PD is a cruel disease.

What is the drug your husband is being weaned off? My husband is 75 and has had PD for 10 to 15 years. He has been put on different medications that have done nothing, or caused problems, and then either weaned off them or had the dosage decreased. I feel at the mercy of Doctors who we have to put our trust in. Falls, depression, needing help with dressing and shaving, loss of independence when his licence was suspended, not sleeping at night and much more. PD is a cruel disease.
Sending hugs and warm wishes to you, Bridgt and both your dear husbands. ❤️ 😥:cry: