Meta's AI Llama 3 gallops Down Under: Aussies get a taste of tech magic!

In a digital era where technology evolves at breakneck speed, Australians are witnessing yet another significant leap in the tech world.

Meta, the tech giant behind some of the most widely used social media platforms, has introduced a groundbreaking artificial intelligence (AI) assistant across its suite of apps, including Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp.

This rollout is set to affect around 20 million Australian users, marking one of the most substantial changes to these platforms in recent years.

Meta AI, built with the advanced Llama 3 technology, was first unveiled by Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg at Meta Connect 2023 and has been eagerly anticipated since.

While American users have been enjoying the benefits of Meta AI for some time, it only became available to Aussie users this past week, bringing a host of new capabilities to their fingertips.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 091156.jpg
Meta AI is now available to Australian users, offering AI features in Meta applications. Credits: Meta

Meta AI is designed to be a versatile assistant within the apps, capable of providing real-time information and creating lifelike images from textual prompts.

Imagine asking your phone to conjure up a picture of a serene beach sunset or a bustling cityscape; with a simple command like 'imagine' or 'create me an image of', Meta AI can turn those words into a visual reality.

Accessing Meta AI is straightforward. In WhatsApp, for instance, you can summon the assistant by typing '@' followed by selecting @Meta AI.

From there, you can ask for a list of nearby restaurants or any other information you might need.

Alternatively, you can start a direct chat with Meta AI by tapping its logo, which now appears on the WhatsApp screen.

The rollout isn't limited to Australia; it extends to several other countries, including Canada, Ghana, Jamaica, Malawi, New Zealand, Nigeria, Pakistan, Singapore, South Africa, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

One of the most intriguing aspects of Meta AI is its iterative nature.

As you interact with the AI and provide more specific prompts, it refines its responses, much like a conversation with a human being.

This feature was demonstrated by a user who crafted multiple versions of a poem, with each iteration improving upon the last.

For desktop users, Meta AI is accessible through the website meta.ai, ensuring that the technology is available across multiple devices.

Moreover, Meta is integrating AI into the search functions across Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Messenger, making it easier to find information without leaving the app you're using.

While the AI is being incorporated into Facebook feeds, allowing users to request more information about posts, this feature is not yet available in Australia.

However, American users have been given a sneak peek at a new feature that generates AI images as you type.

For instance, as you type ‘imagine a soccer…’, images will instantly appear and update as you complete the sentence.

There's no information on when that will be implemented in Australia.

With approximately 22 million Facebook users, 12 million on WhatsApp, and 12.5 million on Instagram in Australia, the impact of Meta AI will be widespread.

Meta's rollout of Meta AI Llama 3 artificial intelligence across platforms like Facebook and WhatsApp marks a significant advancement in AI technology.

However, as AI is increasingly integrated into our daily lives, it becomes crucial to ensure transparency and accountability in AI-generated content and tools.

In response to this, Meta has introduced new measures to help users identify AI-generated content more easily.

These measures aim to provide users with greater clarity and understanding of when they are interacting with AI-generated tools, ultimately fostering trust and responsible use of AI technology.
Key Takeaways

• Meta AI was introduced to Australian users, providing artificial intelligence capabilities in Meta apps like Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp.
  • The AI assistant, built with Llama 3, allows users to access real-time information and generate lifelike images from textual prompts.
  • The rollout of Meta AI will also affect search functions across the Meta platforms, and further features, such as generating AI images from text, are being previewed in the US.
  • Meta AI's presence on social media platforms is anticipated to be a significant technological change for around 20 million Australian users.
Have you tried out Meta AI’s newest features? What are your thoughts on AI becoming a more integral part of our social media platforms? Share your stories and insights in the comments below.

Sponsored
If you have FB or use messenger it's already there. I noticed it last week. There's a blue/pink/green circle on the page. Funny how when it's called Meta AI we don't want it, but have been using Siri, Alexa, Hey Google for years. It's all the same.

Isn’t the failure to use our beautiful language enough?? Those who are too lazy to undertake their own research and then by writing and speaking about what they learned will likely become drones or worse innate. One used to acquire knowledge by their own endeavours. It’s the way we are humans

Guessing using it will be unavoidable/forced on us whether we want it or not!

Fine to say I dont want it but if other people (ie employers, HR, businesses, friends, etc) start using it then I'll be expected to use it if i want a job or there's a meeting/communication etc at current job & others are using it- you get left behind & become very limited in daily life if you don't learn it i daresay (like other internet, software- Quick Books, apps, Zoom, Office 365, etc etc for example)

All very stressful & gives me major anxiety that's for sure!

I am a bit reluctant to try this after hearing so many disadvantages of its application. However I am tempted because it signal another technological pathway to use. But I think I’ll stay unartificial for the time being until I learn more

So now I know what's going on! It's driving me crazy! I hate it.
Don't worry about it.... soon you will have nothing to worry about...if you know what mean...
The younger generation has been brainwashed so they can live with it......

Not at all interested in AI so if anyone knows how to turn it off, I would be interested to know too.

I did try Ask Meta anything and it gave me the woke false information version and when I challenged that it said I was wrong and the answer given was the truth. To me this is an attempt to rewrite history to what the woke brigade want it to be.

Reactions: Fat&fancy
I definitely won't be using it & if it decides to interact with my posts then I will probably be forced to leave facebook.
I don't understand why we need it in the first place. Have we become so useless that we have to ask an imaginary person how to do something? I have never used Siri or any of the other imaginary creatures to do something for me.