Meta pulls the plug on its cross-app messaging feature between Facebook and Instagram

In a surprising move, Meta, the parent company of Facebook and Instagram, has announced that it will be discontinuing the cross-app messaging feature between the two platforms later this month.

This decision has left many users wondering what will happen to their old conversations and how this change will impact their social media experience.

The cross-app chat feature, which was introduced in August 2020, allowed users to seamlessly message friends and family across Facebook and Instagram without having to switch between apps.

However, this feature will be disabled sometime in December, according to an announcement that was published sometime in late November.

SDC 4.png
The cross-app messaging feature between Facebook and Instagram will be discontinued by Meta. Image source: Shutterstock.

The good news is that your old conversations will not disappear. They will still be accessible on the respective platforms where they were initiated. However, you will no longer be able to reply to these conversations or start new ones across the two platforms.

Meta has not yet explained its reasoning behind discontinuing the cross-app messaging feature.

However, some industry observers have speculated that this change could be in response to the European Union's Digital Markets Act (DMA).

The DMA is a comprehensive legislation designed to curb the market dominance of big tech companies.

One of its key objectives is to make it easier for consumers to switch between different competing services, including social media platforms, internet browsers, and app stores.

Interestingly, WhatsApp, another Meta-owned platform, is reportedly developing a third-party chats feature that will be DMA-compatible.

Furthermore, Facebook accounts will no longer be able to view your Activity Status on Instagram or whether you’ve seen a message.

Any existing chats you've had with Facebook accounts won't move to your inbox on Facebook or Messenger.

The exact date for the cutoff has not been announced.

This news comes after Meta has pulled the plug on one of its widely used messaging apps—Messenger Lite.

First introduced in 2016, this nifty little application was tailored for those with older Android devices—which at the time meant devices from 2009 or 2011—with a small download size of just 1MB. Not only did it use less memory and data, but it also ran smoothly on minimalist processors and low bandwidth connections.

The app did an excellent job of making the online messaging experience smooth and pain-free for people in the countries where Meta initially rolled out the program.

However, with the recent updates to the regular Meta Messenger application, Messenger Lite became unnecessary and obsolete.

You can read more about the app’s discontinuation here.
Key Takeaways
  • Messaging between Facebook and Instagram will be discontinued later this month, disabling the ability to start new cross-app chats.
  • Old conversations between the two apps will still be available, but users will not be able to reply or start new ones.
  • This change follows Facebook's merge of Instagram with Messenger in August 2020, with no clear explanation provided for the cessation of cross-app compatibility.
  • The move might be due to the upcoming enforcement of the European Union's Digital Markets Act (DMA) which was designed to curb the market dominance of big tech companies.
What are your thoughts on this upcoming change? Will it significantly impact your social media experience? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
It's been a pain changing my email address to everything since iiNet announced they were ditching their email client service. I've taken on the 12 month service from the Messaging Company only because it's free but as soon as they get in touch with the annual fee that they will be charging at the end of my 12 months, it will be a polite "Get Lost". At least I've got 12 months to change the address for any stray emails that come to the old address, but happy to say they are few and far between at the moment.

Am I correct in saying that Messenger will still be available. I'm not quite sure I understand fully about the Facebook and Instagram connection (although I do know they are one and the same) I DM through Instagram, will that still be available? I don't have FB so I couldn't care less about that, as long as I don't lose Messenger.

Pretty sure the emails aren't on the way out, only the providers providing email addresses. Don't actually understand why, but it just means that everyone who doesn't want to go through the Messaging company (can't remember it's name) and possibly have to pay for the privilege will go to Gmail or Hotmail or one like that. I'm currently transferring to Gmail, because as soon as I transferred to that other place I started getting way too many junk messages
Yes Gmail does everything I need!

In a surprising move, Meta, the parent company of Facebook and Instagram, has announced that it will be discontinuing the cross-app messaging feature between the two platforms later this month.

This decision has left many users wondering what will happen to their old conversations and how this change will impact their social media experience.

The cross-app chat feature, which was introduced in August 2020, allowed users to seamlessly message friends and family across Facebook and Instagram without having to switch between apps.

However, this feature will be disabled sometime in December, according to an announcement that was published sometime in late November.

View attachment 36739
The cross-app messaging feature between Facebook and Instagram will be discontinued by Meta. Image source: Shutterstock.

The good news is that your old conversations will not disappear. They will still be accessible on the respective platforms where they were initiated. However, you will no longer be able to reply to these conversations or start new ones across the two platforms.

Meta has not yet explained its reasoning behind discontinuing the cross-app messaging feature.

However, some industry observers have speculated that this change could be in response to the European Union's Digital Markets Act (DMA).

The DMA is a comprehensive legislation designed to curb the market dominance of big tech companies.

One of its key objectives is to make it easier for consumers to switch between different competing services, including social media platforms, internet browsers, and app stores.

Interestingly, WhatsApp, another Meta-owned platform, is reportedly developing a third-party chats feature that will be DMA-compatible.

Furthermore, Facebook accounts will no longer be able to view your Activity Status on Instagram or whether you’ve seen a message.

Any existing chats you've had with Facebook accounts won't move to your inbox on Facebook or Messenger.

This news comes after Meta has pulled the plug on one of its widely used messaging apps—Messenger Lite.

First introduced in 2016, this nifty little application was tailored for those with older Android devices—which at the time meant devices from 2009 or 2011—with a small download size of just 1MB. Not only did it use less memory and data, but it also ran smoothly on minimalist processors and low bandwidth connections.

The app did an excellent job of making the online messaging experience smooth and pain-free for people in the countries where Meta initially rolled out the program.

However, with the recent updates to the regular Meta Messenger application, Messenger Lite became unnecessary and obsolete.

Key Takeaways

• Messaging between Facebook and Instagram will be discontinued later this month, disabling the ability to start new cross-app chats.
  • Old conversations between the two apps will still be available, but users will not be able to reply or start new ones.
  • This change follows Facebook's merge of Instagram with Messenger in August 2020, with no clear explanation provided for the cessation of cross-app compatibility.
  • The move might be due to the upcoming enforcement of the European Union's Digital Markets Act (DMA) which was designed to curb the market dominance of big tech companies.
What are your thoughts on this upcoming change? Will it significantly impact your social media experience? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
It’s has already happened on my phone and I hate it I am cut off from my family and all the plans that were lined up for Xmas and the near future so I’m left in the dark about any plans or changes that may occur. I’m an elderly person and I loved messenger. 😡😡😡😡😡

I am terrified of loosing my contacts details which after Covid, I do not have many left. I read it is not just Optus but also Telstra that are deserting the emails, why even our Post Office delivers our mail twice a week.
Thanks for the tip about The Messaging Company.
I lost all my phone contacts a couple of weeks ago. My phone dropped into the toilet after it fell out of my top pocket. Fished it out from my own nasty deposits within two seconds, but alas, it still died. The display now comprises of pretty coloured vertical lines after trying all the tricks in the book, such as storing in a sealed bag of rice, etc.

Next step was to investigate free Android phone data recovery tools. Oh great! Downloaded one, installed and started up. That was fun! Scanned the phone then told me what I could recover, not actually recover the data. Message pops up "For the full version, download for just US$59.95 per month". Thanks but no thanks for something I was going to use ONCE. Gave another app a go with exactly the same result but it cost a "bargain" $49.95/month. I tried then cried! Well not literally!

• Wow
Reactions: Abby2

View attachment 36739

Key Takeaways

I dont use instagram but I was anoyed when you could no longer view and reply to messages from messenger and messages in the one place. now I have to go to the message app to send a message and back to messenger for facebook messages. . I suppose it will be just as anoying for insta users

View attachment 36739

Key Takeaways

The only thing they should have axed was Facebook itself.

View attachment 36739

Key Takeaways

Getting so cranking with these so called App/Chat companies. Us older people just get used to using it when they delete or change it. I mainly only use Facebook (for photos) & Messages (quick notes) between me & my close family & friends as they live so far away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abby2 and Ezzy