Melbourne man becomes a millionaire, almost misses call to confirm his identity after mistaking it for a scam

Scam calls have been rampant across the country in recent months, so understandably, most Aussies are now weary when they receive calls from mystery numbers.

While we encourage our members to always be on the lookout for these scam calls, we want to share this funny story of how one man almost dropped the call congratulating him for winning the lottery.

tAlIVwLziPkcezRGq5ZPKC-mf_Kc7S1yp4Jx5cMahUPRLq-v2c5dUkSuQoOpK0rtCYlEyrDNmz4kM57o6QLMpnDSwGUad7RIbwJMvWsS9eOtU6oBONKQ68RNq6SSPj7DATiSJjw
A man almost missed the opportunity of becoming a millionaire after he mistook a call from lotto officials as a scam call. Credit: Yahoo.

A Melbourne man almost missed an opportunity to become a millionaire after he mistakenly assumed that the call he received was from scammers instead of lotto officials.

The lucky winner admitted that he has been dodging calls from scammers, fearing that they scam him out of cash.

However, the Ferntree Gully resident, who was holding one of the five division one winning entries in the TattsLotto draw with each scoring $1,158,104.80, said that he "dragged" himself out of bed when he received the call.

Recalling the experience, the man said that he told lotto officials: "This isn’t one of my mates pulling a prank, is it? This better not be a joke or a scam! I’ve been dodging these calls lately."

He admitted that he was convinced it was a joke until his win sank into him.

"This is just incredible," he told TattsLotto.

The overjoyed winner expressed his excitement over the announcement, claiming that his family would be very happy.

The man said: "I’m going to be very quietly happy today. It’ll be peaceful knowing I’m going to be living life as a millionaire soon."

The lucky winner also admitted that he has been playing the lotto for about 40 years and the most he has ever won was about $200.

Now that he’s won the jackpot, he said that he plans to use the cash prize to help his family, enjoy his retirement, and give donations to charities close to his heart.

It was reported that the man bought the winning ticket at Upper Ferntree Gully Newsagency.

The newsagency's owner, Priti Patel, said that it was the first time her store has sold a division one winning ticket since she took over the business 3 years ago.

There were five division one winning entries in TattsLotto draw 4231 on 5 February 2022 — four from Victoria and one from New South Wales. The winning numbers were 22, 9, 10, 11, 2 and 37, while the supplementary numbers were 6 and 40.

Sponsored
Melbourne man becomes a millionaire, almost misses call to confirm his identity after mistaking it for a scam

Scam calls have been rampant across the country in recent months, so understandably, most Aussies are now weary when they receive calls from mystery numbers.

While we encourage our members to always be on the lookout for these scam calls, we want to share this funny story of how one man almost dropped the call congratulating him for winning the lottery.

tAlIVwLziPkcezRGq5ZPKC-mf_Kc7S1yp4Jx5cMahUPRLq-v2c5dUkSuQoOpK0rtCYlEyrDNmz4kM57o6QLMpnDSwGUad7RIbwJMvWsS9eOtU6oBONKQ68RNq6SSPj7DATiSJjw
A man almost missed the opportunity of becoming a millionaire after he mistook a call from lotto officials as a scam call. Credit: Yahoo.

A Melbourne man almost missed an opportunity to become a millionaire after he mistakenly assumed that the call he received was from scammers instead of lotto officials.

The lucky winner admitted that he has been dodging calls from scammers, fearing that they scam him out of cash.

However, the Ferntree Gully resident, who was holding one of the five division one winning entries in the TattsLotto draw with each scoring $1,158,104.80, said that he "dragged" himself out of bed when he received the call.

Recalling the experience, the man said that he told lotto officials: "This isn’t one of my mates pulling a prank, is it? This better not be a joke or a scam! I’ve been dodging these calls lately."

He admitted that he was convinced it was a joke until his win sank into him.

"This is just incredible," he told TattsLotto.

The overjoyed winner expressed his excitement over the announcement, claiming that his family would be very happy.

The man said: "I’m going to be very quietly happy today. It’ll be peaceful knowing I’m going to be living life as a millionaire soon."

The lucky winner also admitted that he has been playing the lotto for about 40 years and the most he has ever won was about $200.

Now that he’s won the jackpot, he said that he plans to use the cash prize to help his family, enjoy his retirement, and give donations to charities close to his heart.

It was reported that the man bought the winning ticket at Upper Ferntree Gully Newsagency.

The newsagency's owner, Priti Patel, said that it was the first time her store has sold a division one winning ticket since she took over the business 3 years ago.

There were five division one winning entries in TattsLotto draw 4231 on 5 February 2022 — four from Victoria and one from New South Wales. The winning numbers were 22, 9, 10, 11, 2 and 37, while the supplementary numbers were 6 and 40.
Well I have been playing the same numbers in every lotto draw since 1981 most ever one was $6,100 which I was grateful for but in fact would have spend more than that in entries over those years. So good luck to the winner and if they dare ring me at night they will get a mouthful (NOT)

Reactions: Ricci