SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
Melbourne Cup 2022

Any Melbourne Cup fans here? Would love to know what your bets are this year!

I'm not a big horse race fan (I'm terrified of horses) but I'd still love to know who everyone is betting on this year!

Here are some of the top bets from the professionals!

JAMES McDONALD via Racenet

Winner: Deauville Legend
'The favourite Deauville Legend is the horse to beat, and I expect Gold Trip to run well but I'd like to see Montefilia and Duais perform too. I reckon the first half of the race is probably going to be more important than the second 1600m for Deauville Legend. He's drawn a beautiful barrier in nine and the object for me would be to get him relaxed and have a smooth economical run in the first half of the race. I don't care where I am in the run because I know if I get him conserving energy he's the best horse in the race and he'll show that in the second half of the race. My aim is to give my mount an uninterrupted run from the 600m, so I want to know what horses are where to assist me giving my horse clear air.'

GLEN BOSS via Ladbrokes

Winner: Montefilia
'I think I've found the winner - Montefilia. Her run in the Caulfield Cup was outstanding. Back in the ruck in a slowly-run race, never got clear air until about 150m from home and absolutely hit the line with a red light on her head. Jason Collett will give this great mare a wind-up and I think she will be very hard to beat.'

COREY BROWN via foxsports.com.au

1st Montefilia, 2nd Deauville Legend, 3rd Realm Of Flowers, 4th Vow And Declare
'She's peaking at the right time, hit the line beautifully in the Caulfield Cup, she's raced great all prep, and though she hasn't won past 2400m, I think she'll love the 3200m. Last prep, when Jason (Collett) was riding her, she looked more of a middle distance horse, but this time she's been set for this race, and just looking at how she's going about it in her races - settling really nicely, and building up and displaying good acceleration in the straight like she did in the Caulfield Cup - she looks really good. Watching the replays, her whole racing style and her mannerisms give me every indication she'll stay all day. Drawn a perfect gate and Jason's a very capable rider.'

FRANCESCA CUMANI via The Australian

1st Montefilia, 2nd Without A Fight, 3rd Deauville Legend, Roughie: Lunar Flare
'Probability says that the Cup will stay at home (in Australia) as the home team has 22 representatives. The best chance among them has to be Montefilia. She is a four-time winner at the highest level and finished like a train when a luckless fourth in the Caulfield Cup.'

Good luck to all of you who celebrate, I hope today's a winning day for you all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Serpentine is the new of the park I go to almost every day, so I'd have a bet on the horse of that name.
I used to go to the races in Kalgoorlie with my best friend when I was young. If you were tall enough to reach the window you could bet on the tote, so at five years old her little brother was a punter. He's a member of parliament now.

Hi. I'm new to this forum, but I'm always up for a good chat about horse racing. I'm not a Melbourne Cup expert, but I've heard some buzz about Deauville Legend being the favourite this year. James McDonald seems pretty confident in his abilities, so I might put a few bucks on that horse. By the way, have you heard of the best online betting service 4rabet? They have some great deals and offers for horse racing enthusiasts like us. You should check them out at https://4rabet247.com/ if you're interested. Anyway, I totally get being terrified of horses. I used to be scared of them too until I went on a trail ride and realized they're actually pretty chill. But hey, you don't have to be a horse lover to enjoy a good race. Do you have any other bets in mind?

Last edited: