Meghan Markle’s credibility questioned, previous claims have been proven ‘false’ by court

Meghan Markle previously claimed that the letter she sent to her father Thomas Markle was private and for ‘her father’s eyes only’. However, the Court of Appeal found that texts she sent to a royal aide revealed the Duchess of Sussex wrote the letter with ‘public consumption in mind’.

It was alleged that the former Suits star’s denials of cooperating with the authors of Finding Freedom were contradicted by evidence from her former communications chief, Jason Knauf.

CDhIN2qmgdRdoTgXf4InzN-YfwN6eKBhOFlRvlaJ3n_ojo0QZPhjIenDf3OaamjDzuTgb_lF2GX9K11d1wE_a1MTK0WkIs9apqCPTK9sdFn-fVJCxsL97n-AMsh3KcCErTSjT98W

Meghan said after her initial win that the paper had been 'held to account for their illegal and dehumanising practices'. Photo by Caitlin Ochs/Reuters via ABC News.
In August 2018, Meghan, 40, sued Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), the publisher of news source MailOnline, over a series of articles that reflected parts of a 'personal and private' letter to her father, Mr Markle, 77.

She claimed the five articles published in February 2019, both online and in print, accessed her private information, trespassed her copyright and breached the Data Protection Act.

The Duchess of Sussex won her case earlier this year. Lord Justice Warby ruled that ANL's publication of Meghan's letter to her father was 'manifestly excessive and hence unlawful' because it was a 'personal and private letter'.

On Sunday, ANL began its challenge of a High Court judgment that found that their decision to publish extracts of Meghan's 2018 letter was 'unlawful'.

The publishing company told the Court of Appeal in London that new evidence shows the privacy case had been based on a 'false' premise.

Andrew Caldecott QC, for ANL, presented the judges with the new evidence from Mr Knauf in the form of texts. These raised questions about Meghan's 'credibility'.

Mr Caldecott QC argued the letter sent to Mr Markle “was written with public consumption in mind as a possibility”.

“Far from being 'an intimate communication for her father's eyes only', Meghan wrote the letter knowing Thomas Markle 'might disclose it to the media'”, he said.

“The fundamental point turns out to be false based on the new evidence. The letter was crafted specifically with the potential of public consumption in mind.”

Mr Caldecott QC also stated that ANL's defence to Meghan's privacy claim deserved a trial.

The Court of Appeal was told that Meghan's claim was “diminished and outweighed” by her father's right to reply following “false or misleading'” allegations published in People magazine in the US.

“The claimant's letter and the People article both make allegations against Mr Markle of cruelly cold-shouldering the claimant in the pre-wedding period. The article, or its gist, was reported worldwide,” the barrister said.

“We say there was a difference between what Mr Markle said and what he was presented as saying.”

“The defendant submits it has a strongly arguable case that by the time of the publication of the articles, the claimant no longer had a reasonable expectation of privacy of the text of the letter,” concluded Mr Caldecott.

ANL had also stated that new evidence from Ms Markle's former royal communications chief Jason Knauf 'contradicts' the pleadings before the judge when he ruled in her favour earlier this year.

It was alleged that Meghan co-operated with the authors of Finding Freedom, which she previously denied in the High Court case.

“At or about the same time as the People article appeared, the claimant co-operated with the authors of a book, later entitled Finding Freedom, through her communications secretary Jason Knauf in Autumn and Winter 2018,” said Mr Caldecott.

“The claimant has expressly denied any such cooperation with one minor concession which we say is now contradicted by the evidence of Mr Knauf.”

“The book was not published until August 2020, long after the articles she complained about, but it substantially reproduces the claimant's case about her father's bad behaviour prior to the wedding,” he continued.

“Against this background, the defendant [ANL] submits it has a strongly argued case that by the time of the publication of the articles, the claimant no longer had a reasonable expectation of privacy, given it was written with public consumption in mind at least as a possibility. Or if it [didn't, it was] diminished and outweighed by Mr Markle's right of reply, the need for correction and wider public interest – those three concepts all being distinct and all engaged.”

“Lastly, the claimant's pleaded case can be shown to be materially false by contemporaneous documents. Subject to one limited admission, the claimant denied any co-operation with the authors of the book (Finding Freedom). She also denied that she even suspected that Mr Markle would leak the letter and therefore was written as an entirely private document,” defended ANL.

“We say this raises questions about her credibility.”

Sponsored
I totally disagree with you both!!@
Specially after what the RF have done her and Harry , she deserves a Sainthood.

• Haha
Reactions: Hel
Xe can you tell me exactly why you say this,,?
I have absolutely nothing against them. I just find it silly how the headlines are always contradictory. However, I must admit that I rarely read full articles on them so perhaps I am wrong

Nothing they do is worthy of mention...lets have some good new about real people. Harry had better get over to the UK to see his grandmother while he can as there is not point showing up to the funeral if it comes to that.

Unfortunately most news in the tabloids is click bait so spreading lies and hate toward these two makes headlines and ppl reading this rubbish make them more money. They have been vilified and haressed for far too long and I believe it has to stop!

Sunshine45. If that was the case why mention him or talk abt him at all. Where was his grandmother when he. His wife and little boy likened to a chimp in the papers.. not one of the RF including the Q stepped up for him but she can let her little boy who is accused of pedophilia hide behind her skirts,?

Unfortunately most news in the tabloids is click bait so spreading lies and hate toward these two makes headlines and ppl reading this rubbish make them more money. They have been vilified and haressed for far too long and I believe it has to stop!
This nonsense will only stop when M&H stop vilifying the RF. M is the ringleader in maintaining her name in the press. M being a misogynist is quite happy and loves having her title. HRM should remove their titles.

The real battle is yet to come.... saving the monarchy...... Charles is going to have his work cut out there, with the gutter media sniping at every move. :cool:

Reactions: Lynette Finnigan
This nonsense will only stop when M&H stop vilifying the RF. M is the ringleader in maintaining her name in the press. M being a misogynist is quite happy and loves having her title. HRM should remove their titles.
So where did Meghan and Harry vilify the RF?? Receipts pse! The press are the ones who keep her name in the press or they would not sell papers. Meghan is anything but misogynistic , she has been pushing for woman's rights since she was a child. Think you'd better go back to yr dictionary and get yr facts straight,!

So where did Meghan and Harry vilify the RF?? Receipts pse! The press are the ones who keep her name in the press or they would not sell papers. Meghan is anything but misogynistic , she has been pushing for woman's rights since she was a child. Think you'd better go back to yr dictionary and get yr facts straight,!
Yes..I think you meant narcissist... has been voicing her opinion since a child and that's OK... but no need to attack the royal family or English people who welcomed her with open arms and she goes on Oprah and the 2 of them act out a rehearsed scene...and she taps Harry to shut him up when he dares to try and correct her.... but she now found out in court to be telling lies.

You have to be kidding.... if someone spouted the lies she has about the American president, the Americans would be up in arms... but Meghan found out in court in her lies and you still think she's a saint!!! Get a life!!!

Yes..I think you meant narcissist... has been voicing her opinion since a child and that's OK... but no need to attack the royal family or English people who welcomed her with open arms and she goes on Oprah and the 2 of them act out a rehearsed scene...and she taps Harry to shut him up when he dares to try and correct her.... but she now found out in court to be telling lies.
Where did I imply narcissism? When did they welcome her with open arms. They stabbed her in the back where was the support fromThe Q or any of them when her grandchild was likened to a chimp? Meghan cant do right for doing wrong in the minds of the British people What H&M both said In the oprah interview was the truth , they had to much to lose by it not being so. Don't believe everything you read in the tabloids either !

You have to be kidding.... if someone spouted the lies she has about the American president, the Americans would be up in arms... but Meghan found out in court in her lies and you still think she's a saint!!! Get a life!!!
When you have done some homework on this subject and not read at random the D.mail then come back to me
It seems yr the one that need to get a life
U have yr blinkers on dear,!

• Haha
What have they done to her? She's an attention seeker and a liar.