Meet the 72-year-old McDonald's employee who proves that you can still stay productive in your golden years!

Retirement is often touted as the golden years, where one can relax and finally be free from the hustle and bustle of working life.

However, for one 72-year-old Australian, the prospect of being idle in retirement was just too much to bear. Instead, Daryl Holmes chose to embark on a fresh career path at an unexpected place – McDonald's – effectively putting the 'golden' back into his golden years.

Daryl, who previously worked in the disability sector, retired six years ago but quickly found that only a single day of retirement was enough for him to realise that he was far from ready to slow down.

More inclined to seek adventures and opportunities, Daryl traded in his brief retirement for a job at his local McDonald's just north of Sydney.

Here, he has taken on the role of a customer experience leader, spending his days greeting customers and assisting them with the self-serve kiosks.

1683267056445.png
Daryl Holmes became a beloved member of his local McDonald's team after he chose to come out of retirement and work at the fast food chain. (Pictured: Daryl Holmes dressing up as the ‘Monopoly Man’ for the fast food promotion). Credit: wallsend_mcdonalds/Instagram.

For Daryl, returning to work was a way to keep busy and an opportunity to stay engaged and contribute positively to his community.

He has found this new venture fulfilling and rewarding, particularly because his wife is still actively employed.

In an interview with Sydney radio station 2GB, Daryl revealed his perspective on his decision to continue working: ‘I've been playing golf all my life, and for me, I've always loved to work.’

‘My wife was still working and had several more years to work, so I wasn't going to sit back. I was going to go out and find something that I could actually apply myself to and enjoy at the same time.’

As one of the oldest McDonald's Australia employees, Daryl finds joy and meaning in this new role, embracing tasks that many assume are reserved only for younger people.

One of the goals Daryl mentioned was to share knowledge and experience with his colleagues.

He said: 'I just talk about the importance of enjoying what you do, learning from it, and making sure they've got someone when times are tough to talk to. I'm just like their grandfather.'

After six years in his position, Daryl has become an invaluable part of the McDonald's team and is thankful for the opportunity to work with such 'amazing' people.

One particular highlight for him is participating in the McDonald's Monopoly promotions, wherein he gets to dress up as the board game mascot Rich Uncle Pennybags, complete with a white moustache, top hat and bowtie.

In fact, Daryl loves his job so much that he hasn't ruled out the possibility of working at McDonald's until he turns 80.

He also encourages his fellow retirees to seek out job opportunities if they share his restlessness: 'There's a lot of work out there. Employers want to know what you can do, not what you can't. If you can say to people, “I can do this,” you have a very good chance of selling yourself.'

Key Takeaways
  • A 72-year-old pensioner in Australia came out of retirement to work at his local McDonald's as a customer experience leader.
  • Daryl Holmes, who previously worked in the disability sector, felt bored with retirement and wanted to find something productive to do while his wife was still working.
  • He has now been working at McDonald's for six years, becoming one of the oldest employees in the chain, and is viewed as a beloved, grandfatherly figure by his younger colleagues.
  • Holmes encourages other retirees to seek jobs they enjoy as well and believes employers value applicants who focus on their abilities rather than their limitations.

The inspiring story of Daryl serves as a testament to the notion that age should never be a hindrance to pursuing one's passions.

As we live in a world where knowledge and experience are valued more than ever, retirees like Daryl remind us that we are only limited by our own beliefs.

Let us all take inspiration from Daryl's journey and continue to shine brightly, no matter where life takes us.

To all members of the Seniors Discount Club, embrace your potential and never let retirement dim your light.

We recommend checking out this article for more inspiring stories of seniors coming out of retirement to stay productive.

Have you considered getting a job during your senior years? Do you know any inspiring stories similar to Daryl’s? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.

• Love
Reactions: Liag and terri
Sponsored
Retirement is often touted as the golden years, where one can relax and finally be free from the hustle and bustle of working life.

However, for one 72-year-old Australian, the prospect of being idle in retirement was just too much to bear. Instead, Daryl Holmes chose to embark on a fresh career path at an unexpected place – McDonald's – effectively putting the 'golden' back into his golden years.

Daryl, who previously worked in the disability sector, retired six years ago but quickly found that only a single day of retirement was enough for him to realise that he was far from ready to slow down.

More inclined to seek adventures and opportunities, Daryl traded in his brief retirement for a job at his local McDonald's just north of Sydney.

Here, he has taken on the role of a customer experience leader, spending his days greeting customers and assisting them with the self-serve kiosks.

View attachment 19185
Daryl Holmes became a beloved member of his local McDonald's team after he chose to come out of retirement and work at the fast food chain. (Pictured: Daryl Holmes dressing up as the ‘Monopoly Man’ for the fast food promotion). Credit: wallsend_mcdonalds/Instagram.

For Daryl, returning to work was a way to keep busy and an opportunity to stay engaged and contribute positively to his community.

He has found this new venture fulfilling and rewarding, particularly because his wife is still actively employed.

In an interview with Sydney radio station 2GB, Daryl revealed his perspective on his decision to continue working: ‘I've been playing golf all my life, and for me, I've always loved to work.’

‘My wife was still working and had several more years to work, so I wasn't going to sit back. I was going to go out and find something that I could actually apply myself to and enjoy at the same time.’

As one of the oldest McDonald's Australia employees, Daryl finds joy and meaning in this new role, embracing tasks that many assume are reserved only for younger people.

One of the goals Daryl mentioned was to share knowledge and experience with his colleagues.

He said: 'I just talk about the importance of enjoying what you do, learning from it, and making sure they've got someone when times are tough to talk to. I'm just like their grandfather.'

After six years in his position, Daryl has become an invaluable part of the McDonald's team and is thankful for the opportunity to work with such 'amazing' people.

One particular highlight for him is participating in the McDonald's Monopoly promotions, wherein he gets to dress up as the board game mascot Rich Uncle Pennybags, complete with a white moustache, top hat and bowtie.

In fact, Daryl loves his job so much that he hasn't ruled out the possibility of working at McDonald's until he turns 80.

He also encourages his fellow retirees to seek out job opportunities if they share his restlessness: 'There's a lot of work out there. Employers want to know what you can do, not what you can't. If you can say to people, “I can do this,” you have a very good chance of selling yourself.'

Key Takeaways

• A 72-year-old pensioner in Australia came out of retirement to work at his local McDonald's as a customer experience leader.
  • Daryl Holmes, who previously worked in the disability sector, felt bored with retirement and wanted to find something productive to do while his wife was still working.
  • He has now been working at McDonald's for six years, becoming one of the oldest employees in the chain, and is viewed as a beloved, grandfatherly figure by his younger colleagues.
  • Holmes encourages other retirees to seek jobs they enjoy as well and believes employers value applicants who focus on their abilities rather than their limitations.

The inspiring story of Daryl serves as a testament to the notion that age should never be a hindrance to pursuing one's passions.

As we live in a world where knowledge and experience are valued more than ever, retirees like Daryl remind us that we are only limited by our own beliefs.

Let us all take inspiration from Daryl's journey and continue to shine brightly, no matter where life takes us.

To all members of the Seniors Discount Club, embrace your potential and never let retirement dim your light.

We recommend checking out this article for more inspiring stories of seniors coming out of retirement to stay productive.

Have you considered getting a job during your senior years? Do you know any inspiring stories similar to Daryl’s? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.
I’m 73 and still working. I clean a Centrelink Office five days a week for 2 hours each day. Keeps me active for playing golf.

I’m 66years old, retired 3 years ago from full time employment!! There is plenty of work out there for anyone, who wants to work. I started out being a fill in cleaner for a local business, one, maybe two shifts a week. This has turned into five shifts each week, I am now an integral part of the cleaning team.
Every little bit of “pocket” money helps

Reactions: Jarred Santos
I stopped working 17 years ago due to illness, and for a workaholic it hit not only me, but all our future plans. I took on volunteer work with a gusto 4 hours a day 5 days a week. It helped a little, but even now I think about working, unfortunately the field I was in has leapt so far ahead, there is no way that I could even if I was able get back into it.

Reactions: Jarred Santos

View attachment 19185

Key Takeaways

Oh that sounds great. I have often wondered why seniors don’t work in McDonalds or other fast food outlets. In Singapore I have seen many seniors working at McDonalds.
I know that retirement can be boring especially if you live on your own.
I too am 72 and seek part time work to keep my skills up and be mentally and physical strong in my outlook and avoid boredom and contribute to the Community.
However services Australia makes it hard to be employed when you are compelled to report your earnings and kept on hold for lengthy periods.
We seniors should be allowed to work as long as we are able without jeopardising our Aged pension and continue to be a worthy member and contribute to the community