Meet Member @Placid: Jack of all trades and the SDC's Spyder-man

Note from the Editor

Today, we’re shining the spotlight on one of the earliest Seniors Discount Club members!

Introducing member @Placid!

I was born in 1944 in Warrnambool and grew up with my family on a dairy farm. I was the sixth of 13 children.

I will turn 80 in May this year.

I started work as a welder/truck driver for the first 20 years of my working life in Warrnambool. While doing this, I worked on Thursday nights and Saturday afternoons as a bookmakers clerk.

Later, my wife, Carol, and I managed a motel. I also operated as a licensed bookmaker in Western Victoria.

We moved to Melbourne in 1983 for work, where I worked as a motor mower mechanic.

From there, I worked for the last 20 years before retiring in the engineering department at Maroondah Hospital. My best two jobs were this one and my turn as a bookmaker.

I retired at the end of 2014, at the age of 70, after working for 55 years.

4B33F8CDC8A9478A9BA7E6AE1EEC8CD7 (1).jpg
Image Credit: Member @Placid

I really enjoy retired life, spending a lot of time with friends in the Ulysses Club. This club is for those over 40 who ride motorcycles. We ride whenever we can and do quite a few impromptu rides. I ride a Spyder, and we have 29 of these in our branch of the club. As I write this, I am relaxing after a ride to Pheasant Creek for lunch with the boys.

My wife, Carol, doesn’t ride on the back. About ten years ago, she tried for her own licence. She fell off and broke her ankle. She reckons she had a go and is not keen to ride at all now.

We have been married for 52 years. Our golden wedding anniversary was right in the middle of COVID. In Victoria, we were locked up thanks to dictator Dan, and our celebration dinner was takeaway fish and chips from just around the corner.

C1B59AB462644B21993F642B78A26A75 (1).jpg

I believe I was one of the earliest to join this Seniors Discount Club. After joining, I invited a couple of others from a former seniors forum. @Vinylted has stayed and is very active.

I enjoy the competitions and the newsletters.

From the Editor

So there you have it: a peek behind the curtains of a prominent SDC member! A huge thank you again to member @Placid for sharing his story. It’s always such a pleasure to read more about each and every member.

Do you have your own story to tell? Email us at [email protected] with ‘Attention April: Member Spotlight’, and I’ll be in touch!

Last edited:
Sponsored
Good on you @Placid for all the work you have done. You deserve your riding. Sorry to hear about your wife falling and breaking her ankle. Congratulations on your golden wedding annversary., I hope the fish and chips were a good substitute to a slap up meal to celebrate. Nice to hear your story.

Note from the Editor

Today, we’re shining the spotlight on one of the earliest Seniors Discount Club members!

I was born in 1944 in Warrnambool and grew up with my family on a dairy farm. I was the sixth of 13 children.

I started work as a welder/truck driver for the first 20 years of my working life in Warrnambool. While doing this, I worked on Thursday nights and Saturday afternoons as a bookmakers clerk.

Later, my wife, Carol, and I managed a motel. I also operated as a licensed bookmaker in Western Victoria.

We moved to Melbourne in 1983 for work, where I worked as a motor mower mechanic.

From there, I worked for the last 20 years before retiring in the engineering department at Maroondah Hospital. My best two jobs were this one and my turn as a bookmaker.

View attachment 38556

I really enjoy retired life, spending a lot of time with friends in the Ulysses Club. This club is for those over 40 who ride motorcycles. We ride whenever we can and do quite a few impromptu rides. I ride a Spyder, and we have 29 of these in our branch of the club. As I write this, I am relaxing after a ride to Pheasant Creek for lunch with the boys.

My wife, Carol, doesn’t ride on the back. About ten years ago, she tried for her own licence. She fell off and broke her ankle. She reckons she had a go and is not keen to ride at all now.

We have been married for 52 years. Our golden wedding anniversary was right in the middle of COVID. In Victoria, we were locked up thanks to dictator Dan, and our celebration dinner was takeaway fish and chips from just around the corner.

View attachment 38555

I believe I was one of the earliest to join this Seniors Discount Club. After joining, I invited a couple of others from a former seniors forum. @Vinylted has stayed and is very active.

From the Editor

So there you have it: a peek behind the curtains of a prominent SDC member! A huge thank you again to member @Placid for sharing his story. It’s always such a pleasure to read more about each and every member.

Do you have your own story to tell? Email us at [email protected] with ‘Attention April: Member Spotlight’, and I’ll be in touch!
You have had a busy working life which is excellent to read about. I think too many young people are not interested in getting jobs these days, not when it's so easy for them to just get the Dole !! Wonder if they realize that they don't have a future.....I.e. never owning a home !! All young people should have to learn a trade of some kind.....in my opinion.

You really are a Jack Of All trades . What an interesting life . I net you there are more stories to tell especially being a bookmaker.

We have something in common , I have 13 kids and my hubby and two of my sons love bikes ,one son now has two Harley Davidson the other I'm not sure what he has.

I think you have more to tell 🤔

Good for you Placid, thanks for the early invite to SDC which a few of us oldies managed to kickstart the forum/newsletter. I'm not sure of the directions taken lately, but maybe it's just age! Val & I will celebrate our 65th wedding anniversary this year. Keep Spydering mate.. 😄

Note from the Editor

View attachment 38556

View attachment 38555

From the Editor

All was very interesting and I was thinking about writing about 51 years Nursing and then …oh Bugga…you went political …just leave politics out of your life for everyone…and everyone will be happier and keep smiling 😃😃😃😃😃😃😃😃

Reactions: Ezzy