McDonald's responds to shocking reports about their iced coffee frappé

Everyone loves a delicious, icy-cold sweet treat every now and again – especially during summer. While others opt for classics like ice cream or frozen yoghurt, some like to drink something that gives them an energy boost while out and about.

Many like to get their daily caffeine fix and visit their favourite cafés for an iced coffee. For people on a budget, this usually means a trip to Macca’s.

But one Macca’s fan was shocked to learn that her beloved coffee frappé isn’t what she thought it was.

Taking to the popular social media platform TikTok, a woman revealed that her go-to Macca’s drink doesn’t actually contain shots of caffeine.

‘I don’t know how many people know this but the coffee frappé from McDonald’s, which I get every time it’s hot instead of getting a normal coffee,’ the woman said in the video, which has now been viewed over 567,000 times.

She added: ‘Today, I felt like an extra shot, so I asked “How many shots are in that?” so I could add another one, and she goes “oh no, the coffee frappés don’t have any caffeine. There’s no real coffee, it is just coffee shots.”’

According to the Macca’s employee, the drink is just filled with flavoured syrup that tastes like coffee.

‘I was like, “Who wants an iced coffee without getting the caffeine?”, and she was like, “You have to add the shots to have the caffeine”. So, you have the shots, plus the frappé, and it costs about ten bucks,’ the woman explained.

Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 9.25.45 AM.png
McDonald’s coffee frappé doesn’t contain shots of caffeine. Credit: McDonald’s Australia

This was later confirmed by an employee who saw the woman’s video.

‘I can confirm! I’ve been letting people know for years. Also, don’t bother looking at the amount of calories and sugar,’ they wrote in the comments to which the woman replied that this will be their last one.

‘I don’t get the cream or topping on top but it’s sickly sweet and without the coffee what a waste of calories,’ the woman added.

Other social media users were stumped by the reveal as well.

‘No way?’ One asked while another commented: ‘What?’

‘Um, excuse me, no coffee?’ Someone else wrote. The woman replied to this person as well and said: ‘How many people are drinking these thinking it’s coffee?’

You can watch the woman’s video below:

This claim was later supported by a spokeswoman for McDonald’s Australia. She said that the coffee frappé does contain some caffeine…

The spokeswoman claimed: ‘The Coffee Frappe does include caffeine. This is through coffee powder, which is included in the syrup. For more information, customers can view a list of ingredients on our website.’

It is also worth noting that McDonald’s customers can order an actual iced coffee – with milk, ice cubes, and shots of caffeine – from McCafé.

Did you know that the McDonald’s McCafé menu, complete with its enticing assortment of coffee and smoothies, began in Australia in 1993? And it didn’t make its way over to America until 2009 – making Australia the first country in the world to have introduced a budget-friendly coffee menu.

The Frappé came soon after McCafé was established. According to reports, this development was made so that the restaurant chain could go head-to-head against Starbucks, which had pioneered quick-serve coffee drinks that people could order quickly before they went to work in the morning.

However, Starbucks’ drinks came at a higher price tag. McDonald’s was aware of the gap in the market, and it moved to fill that gap with its version.

Since then, fans of both branches have debated over which brand’s coffee drinks are superior. While most of the arguments centred on pricing, with Macca’s being the more affordable option, Starbucks fans argued that at least the coffee chain’s drinks offered ‘the real deal’.

Now, if you’re not keen on drinking beverages from either store, you can always make your own café-style drink.

Bec Hardgrave, an Aussie nutritionist, took to TikTok to share her favourite McCafé ‘hack’, which she said tasted better than most of the drinks offered by the restaurant and had half the calories. According to Bec, you can buy a soft-serve vanilla ice cream cone and an Iced Long Black from the McCafé menu. Then, you can mix the vanilla soft-serve in the coffee and voilà! You have your Frappé-like drink. You can watch her video below:

Key Takeaways

• An Aussie Macca's fan was surprised to learn her coffee frappé does not contain caffeine shots in the drink itself.
  • McDonald's Australia confirmed the coffee frappé does include caffeine through coffee powder in the syrup.
  • It is also possible to order an actual iced coffee, with milk, ice cubes and shots of caffeine, from McCafé.
  • The woman's post on TikTok prompted many viewers to express their shock.

Have you ever been surprised to find that something you’ve ordered doesn’t contain what you thought it did? Share your stories in the comments below!

• Wow
Reactions: Freeby60 and Ricci
Sponsored
reading through the McDonalds comments that it contains caffeine, I guess thats their way of avoiding law suits, though it is called a coffee. Wonder if a Lawyer would beat Maccas on caffeine isn't coffeee but a component? Still deceptive.

Reactions: Ricci
Everyone loves a delicious, icy-cold sweet treat every now and again – especially during summer. While others opt for classics like ice cream or frozen yoghurt, some like to drink something that gives them an energy boost while out and about.

Many like to get their daily caffeine fix and visit their favourite cafés for an iced coffee. For people on a budget, this usually means a trip to Macca’s.

But one Macca’s fan was shocked to learn that her beloved coffee frappé isn’t what she thought it was.

Taking to the popular social media platform TikTok, a woman revealed that her go-to Macca’s drink doesn’t actually contain shots of caffeine.

‘I don’t know how many people know this but the coffee frappé from McDonald’s, which I get every time it’s hot instead of getting a normal coffee,’ the woman said in the video, which has now been viewed over 567,000 times.

She added: ‘Today, I felt like an extra shot, so I asked “How many shots are in that?” so I could add another one, and she goes “oh no, the coffee frappés don’t have any caffeine. There’s no real coffee, it is just coffee shots.”’

According to the Macca’s employee, the drink is just filled with flavoured syrup that tastes like coffee.

‘I was like, “Who wants an iced coffee without getting the caffeine?”, and she was like, “You have to add the shots to have the caffeine”. So, you have the shots, plus the frappé, and it costs about ten bucks,’ the woman explained.

View attachment 15087
McDonald’s coffee frappé doesn’t contain shots of caffeine. Credit: McDonald’s Australia

‘I can confirm! I’ve been letting people know for years. Also, don’t bother looking at the amount of calories and sugar,’ they wrote in the comments to which the woman replied that this will be their last one.

‘I don’t get the cream or topping on top but it’s sickly sweet and without the coffee what a waste of calories,’ the woman added.

‘Um, excuse me, no coffee?’ Someone else wrote. The woman replied to this person as well and said: ‘How many people are drinking these thinking it’s coffee?’

This claim was later supported by a spokeswoman for McDonald’s Australia. She said that the coffee frappé does contain some caffeine…

The spokeswoman claimed: ‘The Coffee Frappe does include caffeine. This is through coffee powder, which is included in the syrup. For more information, customers can view a list of ingredients on our website.’

It is also worth noting that McDonald’s customers can order an actual iced coffee – with milk, ice cubes, and shots of caffeine – from McCafé.

Did you know that the McDonald’s McCafé menu, complete with its enticing assortment of coffee and smoothies, began in Australia in 1993? And it didn’t make its way over to America until 2009 – making Australia the first country in the world to have introduced a budget-friendly coffee menu.

The Frappé came soon after McCafé was established. According to reports, this development was made so that the restaurant chain could go head-to-head against Starbucks, which had pioneered quick-serve coffee drinks that people could order quickly before they went to work in the morning.

However, Starbucks’ drinks came at a higher price tag. McDonald’s was aware of the gap in the market, and it moved to fill that gap with its version.

Since then, fans of both branches have debated over which brand’s coffee drinks are superior. While most of the arguments centred on pricing, with Macca’s being the more affordable option, Starbucks fans argued that at least the coffee chain’s drinks offered ‘the real deal’.

Now, if you’re not keen on drinking beverages from either store, you can always make your own café-style drink.

Bec Hardgrave, an Aussie nutritionist, took to TikTok to share her favourite McCafé ‘hack’, which she said tasted better than most of the drinks offered by the restaurant and had half the calories. According to Bec, you can buy a soft-serve vanilla ice cream cone and an Iced Long Black from the McCafé menu. Then, you can mix the vanilla soft-serve in the coffee and voilà! You have your Frappé-like drink. You can watch her video below:

Key Takeaways

• An Aussie Macca's fan was surprised to learn her coffee frappé does not contain caffeine shots in the drink itself.
  • McDonald's Australia confirmed the coffee frappé does include caffeine through coffee powder in the syrup.
  • It is also possible to order an actual iced coffee, with milk, ice cubes and shots of caffeine, from McCafé.

Have you ever been surprised to find that something you’ve ordered doesn’t contain what you thought it did? Share your stories in the comments below!

What do you expect?! It's McDonalds

Reactions: Jennie and Ricci
This is going off-subject, but I do wish people would say, “I was like” when they mean “I said”. 😡

Reactions: Jennie

View attachment 15087

Key Takeaways

I don't drink it for the caffeine, I drink it (without the cream or drizzle) for the taste.

Reactions: terri