Massive password leak exposes details of nearly 10 billion accounts—secure yourself!

As technology continues to advance, so do the methods available to us for securing our accounts and sensitive information.

However, this progress is matched by increasingly sophisticated hacking techniques and other unethical practices that can lead to security breaches.

Despite our best efforts, these breaches are stark reminders of the ongoing need for vigilance and adaptation in safeguarding our digital identities and personal data.

A massive password leak, one of the largest in history, has exposed nearly 10 billion passwords.

Researchers at Cybernews discovered the leak on 4 July. They discovered a file named rockyou2024.txt on a popular hacking forum.

This file, posted by a user with the handle ObamaCare, is linked to previous leaks of confidential data, including an employee database from Simmons & Simmons, an international law firm, and student applications from a university in New Jersey.

1720575978593.png
Ten billion passwords were revealed in the leak. Credit: Shutterstock

According to Cybernews, this is the most extensive compilation of leaked passwords, combining data from various old and recent breaches.

It builds upon the RockYou2021 dataset, which surfaced last year with 8.4 billion leaked passwords.

‘Attackers developed the dataset by scouring the internet for data leaks, adding another 1.5 billion passwords from 2021 through to 2024 and increasing the dataset by 15 per cent,’ Cybernews stated.

RockYou2021 stemmed from a 2009 data breach that exposed millions of social media account passwords.

‘Most likely, the latest RockYou iteration contains information collected from over 4,000 databases over more than two decades,’ Cybernews added.

Experts warned that these leaked passwords could be exploited not only on online platforms but also on internet-connected cameras and industrial equipment, potentially leading to data breaches, financial fraud, and identity theft.

‘In its essence, the RockYou2024 leak is a compilation of real-world passwords used by individuals all over the world,’ Cybernews researchers explained.

‘Revealing that many passwords for threat actors substantially heightens the risk of credential stuffing attacks.’

Tip
Individuals can use Cybernews' Leaked Password Checker to check for compromised passwords.

McAfee, a computer security firm, advised concerned users to take precautions:

Update passwords across all accounts with solid and unique combinations. Consider using a password manager for added security.

Additionally, enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) wherever possible and regularly monitor bank and credit card statements for unauthorised transactions.

Lastly, exercise caution with phishing attempts through emails, calls, or texts, which cybercriminals use to obtain sensitive information.

These measures are crucial to safeguarding against potential fraud and identity theft from the recent password leak.

In similar news, Medibank is potentially facing civil penalty proceedings from the Australian Information Commissioner following a data breach that impacted 9.7 million Australians.

The breach compromised sensitive personal information, raising concerns about identity theft, extortion, and financial crimes. Further details on this development can be found here.
Key Takeaways

• Nearly 10 billion passwords have been exposed in one of the largest password leaks in history.
  • The leak, linked to the user ObamaCare, includes data from previous breaches such as Simmons & Simmons' employee database and university student applications.
  • Attackers expanded the dataset by adding 1.5 billion passwords from 2021 to 2024, increasing it by 15 per cent.
  • Experts caution that the leaked passwords could be exploited on online platforms, internet-connected cameras, and industrial systems, posing data breaches, financial fraud, and identity theft risks.
  • Users can check if their passwords are compromised using Cybernews' Leaked Password Checker.
Have you verified whether your accounts were affected by the hack? Have you taken steps to update your passwords to protect against potential compromise? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
Hey Tracy1 you know you will get all the braindead people accusing you of conspiracy theories etc etc. But don’t take any notice of them. Don‘t even reply.
None of these braindead fools believed that Manmade and introduced Covid was the tool used by World Governments to start the process of Cashless societies and complete knowledge over where and how you spend your money, but the proof is in the pudding.
The funny thing is that the politicians deny this and tell us they are introducing laws to force companies to accept cash. But this bill was introduce to parliament months ago and no one has heard a thing about again. Why? Because it won’t pass as it does not fit the agenda of Government control.
But we are conspiracy theorists!
So all the governments in the world got together, many who despise each other, and agreed upon a virus to be able to see when I go to Coles?

And they then went to extraordinary lengths to eradicate that virus ASAP?

Wow, there's some real paranoid thinking right there.

You do realise the move away from cash has been going on for decades, I haven't used cash for many years now.

This thinking that the government wants to control your money spend is ridiculous, without spending an economy will die and the people will not vote that government back in.

Yeah, I can see why they would do that, lol.

You and that other person need help, living your life paranoid about imaginary things that are not happening.

So all the governments in the world got together, many who despise each other, and agreed upon a virus to be able to see when I go to Coles?

You do realise the move away from cash has been going on for decades, I haven't used cash for many years now.

This thinking that the government wants to control your money spend is ridiculous, without spending an economy will die and the people will not vote that government back in.

You and that other person need help, living your life paranoid about imaginary things that are not happening.
FYI

• Haha
Reactions: Greg350
FYI
You do realise that just because it's on some nutter website does not make it true.

ANYONE can make a website, they can post anything they like on it, ANYTHING AT ALL.

I'm assuming you are a mature age being on this SDC page, stop worrying about things that are not going to affect you. The world will continue on as it has for decades, live your life happily........and seek some professional help if you can't get these paranoid delusions out of your head.

Reactions: erickendall
You do realise that just because it's on some nutter website does not make it true.

ANYONE can make a website, they can post anything they like on it, ANYTHING AT ALL.

I'm assuming you are a mature age being on this SDC page, stop worrying about things that are not going to affect you. The world will continue on as it has for decades, live your life happily........and seek some professional help if you can't get these paranoid delusions out of your head.
The reverse can be said.
Just because you say it’s not true doesn’t mean it isn’t true.
In actual fact the Victorian Government is promoting satellite cities right now Where people will be forced to live and work within that city.
But I guess you head is so deep in the sand you don’t realise..
Just because a person doesn’t share your naive views that certainly doesn’t mean they need professional help..

The reverse can be said.
In actual fact the Victorian Government is promoting satellite cities right now Where people will be forced to live and work within that city.
Just because a person doesn’t share your naive views that certainly doesn’t mean they need professional help..
Sat cities are nothing new, and there is certainly nothing of any "force".

Attachments

• sat cities.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
The reverse can be said.
Show me where it's been stated that anyone will be "forced" to live and work within a city? Total and utter BS.

See, this is where you nutters get things wrong, you read or hear something and take it to the extreme. These 15 minutes cities purely mean that it maybe possible to live and work within a area. Most people would like that, maybe you like driving for an hour or more to get to work, or travel on a bus, train for an hour or two. But most people wouldn't.

Again, that does not mean it will be compulsory. Canberra has had a similar thing for decades, centres where all the offices/light industry and shops are and people live nearby. Rural towns like Orange, Albury, Wagga are large centres, most people work near or in the area, live in the area, play sport in the area, schools, shopping, etc, etc, etc.

Moronic thinking that you will be forced to do anything, but as I said, keep that paranoia going, must be hell living in such a stressed state all the time, thinking the government is out to get you.

Reactions: Knell and Annemarie
ADMINS: I request you take this matter up with Facebook as a matter of urgency as I could soon be banned from their site as a result of sharing this article to my newsfeed. I also request you give this Facebook response to YOUR article the maximum possible coverage.

However viewed, Facebook's AI response is WRONG.
I have been getting these a lot with putting up craft posts, AI is a .... nuisance.

Reactions: Annemarie
If anyone hasn't figured this out, with all the hacking of computer websites etc, the government is behind it all. I don't trust the government at all. The media will report it like it's the fault of the company for not keeping computer software and hardware hack free etc, etc, but sorry to say, if you haven't figured it all out yet, it's the government and the elites behind it all. End of story.
Australia is apparently the number one target for scammers/hackers...??

Show me where it's been stated that anyone will be "forced" to live and work within a city? Total and utter BS.

See, this is where you nutters get things wrong, you read or hear something and take it to the extreme. These 15 minutes cities purely mean that it maybe possible to live and work within a area. Most people would like that, maybe you like driving for an hour or more to get to work, or travel on a bus, train for an hour or two. But most people wouldn't.

Again, that does not mean it will be compulsory. Canberra has had a similar thing for decades, centres where all the offices/light industry and shops are and people live nearby. Rural towns like Orange, Albury, Wagga are large centres, most people work near or in the area, live in the area, play sport in the area, schools, shopping, etc, etc, etc.

Moronic thinking that you will be forced to do anything, but as I said, keep that paranoia going, must be hell living in such a stressed state all the time, thinking the government is out to get you.
Not the slightest bit stressed mate.
Actually I get a big smile out of the blind sheep like you!
But please remember to come back and apologise here when it actually happens. Maybe not this decade but it will happen.

Typical response when you know you've been lied to about the vaccines and how people are dying. People are actually dying from the vaccines. The population is too big, so how do you reduce population? Through vaccination. Bill Gates made that speech back in 2014.

• Haha
Reactions: Mark@Home
Typical response when you know you've been lied to about the vaccines and how people are dying. People are actually dying from the vaccines. The population is too big, so how do you reduce population? Through vaccination. Bill Gates made that speech back in 2014.
TIN HAT ALERT! TIN HAT ALERT!! TIN HAT ALERT!!!

Facebook Batchelor of Farts spills the beans on people with genuine qualifications!!