Maryanne's battle with delayed jobseeker payments: Could this also be your struggle?

Accessing welfare payments from Centrelink has long been a trying experience for many of our members here at the SDC–and many could attest to the complications and frustrations of encountering bureaucracy in accessing financial assistance, even when your need is dire.

It's a situation that Maryanne Watts, a 60-year-old living in rural Queensland, grappled with while waiting months for her unavoidable and urgent jobseeker payments.

This is despite being a former Centrelink employee working for a small business assistance program.

As COVID-19 hit and Maryanne ran out of her early super drawdown, she applied for Jobseeker again, expecting a bumpy and exhaustive process. But even she was shocked at her difficult time, with the application undergoing lengthy delays that took months.

Screenshot 2023-08-14 151403.png
Seniors like Maryanne Watts had been experiencing long waits for their jobseekers payments. Credit: Teona Swift/Pexels

‘The first time it got held up was because they had asked for bank account details from the 23rd of February,’ Watts said. The earliest date on the bank statement she had submitted was March 9.

'I hadn’t actually had any transactions between the 23rd and the ninth. But because the date of the 23rd wasn’t on it, they didn’t accept it. So I had to go further back.'

Maryanne believed that this delayed her application, so she spent time trying to contact Centrelink, calling often and getting left on hold for lengthy periods.

'Every day, you try not to think about money, you try to get on with other stuff, whatever,' she says. 'But it’s always there. It’s this tension that’s always in your body.'

It got to a point where Centrelink’s contact service seemed to be at a standstill, with no one replying to her.

A couple of weeks later, this was further complicated when they asked her to provide an extra mortgage statement. The long wait came just as her bills piled up one by one.

Maryanne said she was told thrice that her application was marked ‘urgent’ due to financial hardship. Text messages came, promising someone would be in touch with her regarding her application.

‘But they didn’t,’ she said.

A Centrelink worker told her it was their policy to wait and have applicants call them instead.

Watts' struggles are not an isolated incident; instead, it highlights a common issue many applicants across Australia face.

compressed-shutterstock_468262271.jpeg
Kristen O’Connell believes the longer waiting time is due to Centrelink’s understaffed call centres. Credit: TK Kurikawa/Shutterstock

According to Kristen O’Connell, a spokesperson for the Antipoverty Centre, this was mainly due to Centrelink's understaffing of call centres.

‘What we know from people who have an urgent need for support is that it is nearly impossible to get through the Centrelink bureaucracy to get that support as quickly as you need it,’ O’Connell pointed out. ‘This is not an outlier situation.’

Call waiting times have been ugly for over a year, with the 2021-2022 financial year data revealing a 25% increase in 'congestion messages'.

When you add incorrect recordings of applicants' information, missing notations regarding hardship, and conflicting advice from customer service representatives–it's no wonder why people have such a tough time applying for and receiving payments.

Maryanne's wait ended after an exhausting six weeks when her application finally got approved.

Unfortunately, some people had to wait longer than Maryanne. O’Connell said that her application for the disability support pension took ten months of back and forth. She had diligently followed up every two weeks for her claim, only to be told she needed to provide more information.

‘Because of all of the work I do supporting other people with this process, I know that I am not alone,’ O’Connell added.

Hank Jongen, Services Australia’s spokesperson, said that most Jobseeker claims were processed within two weeks.

‘We’re sorry to those who are waiting longer. This is our busiest time of year with tax time and millions of families balancing their payments,’ Jongen explained.

‘We sincerely apologise to Ms Watts and have extended the offer to work directly with her to ensure she’s receiving all available support.’

‘We’re actively recruiting, but our staffing is returning to more regular levels now that pandemic-era work and associated extra resourcing has concluded. We’ve bolstered our emergency response capability with 850 staff directly supporting frontline service delivery. We’re drawing from this to help meet current demands,’ he said.

Key Takeaways
  • Maryanne Watts, a 60-year-old from rural Queensland, has struggled to process her Jobseeker application for months despite being marked as 'urgent' due to financial hardship.
  • Kristin O’Connell from the Antipoverty Centre highlighted that understaffing of Centrelink's call centres and long waiting times were significant hurdles for those in urgent need. She also endured a long process for her disability support pension.
  • Watts' experience is not an isolated one, with Centrelink call waiting times having increased
    by 25% over the past year.
  • Despite apologies from Services Australia's spokesperson and assurance of additional recruitment, delays continue and directly impact the lives of applicants like Maryanne Watts.

Suppose you ever find yourself in a predicament like Maryanne's where your voice isn’t being heard or your information isn’t being considered. Take the necessary steps to ensure you won't miss out on the financial aid you are entitled to.

If a customer service agent has told you that your case hasn't been marked for urgent processing due to financial hardship, remain assertive and be persistent with your queries as you patiently wait for your payments, as you'll need plenty of evidence if you ever plan to present your case to a supervisor.

Inquire about any restrictions or loopholes regarding your payment, as understanding these documents would help make the overall process smoother.

Finally, don't forget that you have a right regarding welfare requests. Don't hesitate to contact the Antipoverty Centre should you have further questions or needs–they’ll happily hear you out and do what they can to ensure a satisfying resolution for all parties.

What do you think of this story, members? Have you encountered a similar predicament? Share your experience in the comments below!

Sponsored
I did not have such a hard time when I applied for the pension. But still I had issues. I learned early on not to contact them by phone as I could not get through. So went directly to Centrelink office. Yes the documents I presented were not enough to I had to get others. Yes the waiting period was longer than anticipated. And every consultant you see at Centrelink gives you different information. I don't accent the justification that they do not have enough people to answer the phones.
I have a really BIG concern though - they know what goes in and what goes out of my bank account. I never gave them permission. How legal is this?
But they only update it if it serves THEM! They "reminded" me of a certain sum in my bank account that was the reason they couldn't pay me more. To make it easy let s say I had $10000. I needed to spend some of the money before they could update m6 payments. so I took say $5000 out. My payments didnt change, so I needed a credit. company wanted a Centrelink income statement. According to that statement I had $20.000 in that account (should be $5000), but they wont change it!!!

Accessing welfare payments from Centrelink has long been a trying experience for many of our members here at the SDC–and many could attest to the complications and frustrations of encountering bureaucracy in accessing financial assistance, even when your need is dire.

It's a situation that Maryanne Watts, a 60-year-old living in rural Queensland, grappled with while waiting months for her unavoidable and urgent jobseeker payments.

This is despite being a former Centrelink employee working for a small business assistance program.

As COVID-19 hit and Maryanne ran out of her early super drawdown, she applied for Jobseeker again, expecting a bumpy and exhaustive process. But even she was shocked at her difficult time, with the application undergoing lengthy delays that took months.

View attachment 27429
Seniors like Maryanne Watts had been experiencing long waits for their jobseekers payments. Credit: Teona Swift/Pexels

‘The first time it got held up was because they had asked for bank account details from the 23rd of February,’ Watts said. The earliest date on the bank statement she had submitted was March 9.

'I hadn’t actually had any transactions between the 23rd and the ninth. But because the date of the 23rd wasn’t on it, they didn’t accept it. So I had to go further back.'

Maryanne believed that this delayed her application, so she spent time trying to contact Centrelink, calling often and getting left on hold for lengthy periods.

'Every day, you try not to think about money, you try to get on with other stuff, whatever,' she says. 'But it’s always there. It’s this tension that’s always in your body.'

It got to a point where Centrelink’s contact service seemed to be at a standstill, with no one replying to her.

A couple of weeks later, this was further complicated when they asked her to provide an extra mortgage statement. The long wait came just as her bills piled up one by one.

Maryanne said she was told thrice that her application was marked ‘urgent’ due to financial hardship. Text messages came, promising someone would be in touch with her regarding her application.

A Centrelink worker told her it was their policy to wait and have applicants call them instead.

Watts' struggles are not an isolated incident; instead, it highlights a common issue many applicants across Australia face.

View attachment 27430
Kristen O’Connell believes the longer waiting time is due to Centrelink’s understaffed call centres. Credit: TK Kurikawa/Shutterstock

According to Kristen O’Connell, a spokesperson for the Antipoverty Centre, this was mainly due to Centrelink's understaffing of call centres.

‘What we know from people who have an urgent need for support is that it is nearly impossible to get through the Centrelink bureaucracy to get that support as quickly as you need it,’ O’Connell pointed out. ‘This is not an outlier situation.’

Call waiting times have been ugly for over a year, with the 2021-2022 financial year data revealing a 25% increase in 'congestion messages'.

When you add incorrect recordings of applicants' information, missing notations regarding hardship, and conflicting advice from customer service representatives–it's no wonder why people have such a tough time applying for and receiving payments.

Maryanne's wait ended after an exhausting six weeks when her application finally got approved.

Unfortunately, some people had to wait longer than Maryanne. O’Connell said that her application for the disability support pension took ten months of back and forth. She had diligently followed up every two weeks for her claim, only to be told she needed to provide more information.

‘Because of all of the work I do supporting other people with this process, I know that I am not alone,’ O’Connell added.

Hank Jongen, Services Australia’s spokesperson, said that most Jobseeker claims were processed within two weeks.

‘We’re sorry to those who are waiting longer. This is our busiest time of year with tax time and millions of families balancing their payments,’ Jongen explained.

‘We sincerely apologise to Ms Watts and have extended the offer to work directly with her to ensure she’s receiving all available support.’

‘We’re actively recruiting, but our staffing is returning to more regular levels now that pandemic-era work and associated extra resourcing has concluded. We’ve bolstered our emergency response capability with 850 staff directly supporting frontline service delivery. We’re drawing from this to help meet current demands,’ he said.

Key Takeaways

• Maryanne Watts, a 60-year-old from rural Queensland, has struggled to process her Jobseeker application for months despite being marked as 'urgent' due to financial hardship.
  • Kristin O’Connell from the Antipoverty Centre highlighted that understaffing of Centrelink's call centres and long waiting times were significant hurdles for those in urgent need. She also endured a long process for her disability support pension.
  • Watts' experience is not an isolated one, with Centrelink call waiting times having increased
  • Despite apologies from Services Australia's spokesperson and assurance of additional recruitment, delays continue and directly impact the lives of applicants like Maryanne Watts.

Suppose you ever find yourself in a predicament like Maryanne's where your voice isn’t being heard or your information isn’t being considered. Take the necessary steps to ensure you won't miss out on the financial aid you are entitled to.

If a customer service agent has told you that your case hasn't been marked for urgent processing due to financial hardship, remain assertive and be persistent with your queries as you patiently wait for your payments, as you'll need plenty of evidence if you ever plan to present your case to a supervisor.

Inquire about any restrictions or loopholes regarding your payment, as understanding these documents would help make the overall process smoother.

Finally, don't forget that you have a right regarding welfare requests. Don't hesitate to contact the Antipoverty Centre should you have further questions or needs–they’ll happily hear you out and do what they can to ensure a satisfying resolution for all parties.

What do you think of this story, members? Have you encountered a similar predicament? Share your experience in the comments below!

View attachment 27429

View attachment 27430

Key Takeaways

If a customer service agent has told you that your case hasn't been marked for urgent processing due to financial hardship, remain assertive and be persistent with your queries as you patiently wait for your payments, as you'll need plenty of evidence if you ever plan to present your any restrictions or loopholes regarding your payment, as understanding these documents would help make the overall process smoother.

The system is a joke! I'm 46, on DSP due to mental health. However I signed up with a disability employment agency in March as I know I need the support to work a part time job. I want to work. Regularly applying for jobs, even cleaning, I'm continually being knocked back because I haven't worked in a while. However, to be able to look for work through the DES support agency, I need a support officer from Centrelink to call me and approve over the phone that I'm fit to work! I'm still waiting for the call...

On the other hand, I have a friend who has OA in her neck and spine, fibromyalgia and that's only the beginning. Yet they are refusing to give her DSP because she is only 40 years old 🙄.

A few years ago another friend who's husband had passed away leaving her to raise 2 young daughters, was told she was too young to receive a widow's pension!

The system needs a major overhaul
Yes that happened to me 23 years ago and put me on the Single parenting Payment

Reactions: Jen77au
An update on my work colleague: she went into Centrelink today first she was insulted by ' a backroom boy ' that she should remember her MyGov password she said I quote" it is no good at home" then she went on to ask what applications she was submitting one was the DSP as I previously mentioned then she continued to insult my colleague that she shouldn't be letting her son help her with filling in requirements online as she is like slot of seniors computer illiterate

An update on my work colleague: she went into Centrelink today first she was insulted by ' a backroom boy ' that she should remember her MyGov password she said I quote" it is no good at home" then she went on to ask what applications she was submitting one was the DSP as I previously mentioned then she continued to insult my colleague that she shouldn't be letting her son help her with filling in requirements online as she is like slot of seniors computer illiterate
She has come away no further advance when she went in and now she will have to get her son to finish it off !

Trying to get assistance when needed is so stressful. Unnecessarily complicated that sometimes I think it’s a deliberate act so that you just give up! If you go into the centre for help, they try to push you back to an online process. What’s frustrating is that there’s no one to talk to unless you stay on hold for 30+ minutes. The worst part is that you think you’ve finally jumped through all the hoops needed & you get an email to say it’s been rejected. No reason. No contact number should you need to speak to someone.. You just have to start all over again
Just like they say use the app to upload your documents. I'm computer savvy and have no issues with doing it, however they take forever to look at them, if they ever do. It's frustrating enough for me let alone people who aren't technically savvy!

I have posted several times before about my trials and. tribulations with Centrelink.
The fastest way to get your problems sorted out is to go through your local member. It's amazing how fast things start to happen..It is not the front desk staff that are the problem, they have a thankless job. It's the powers on high in Centrelink that create the stuff ups.
I was even told legal action would be taken against me for continually not submitting forms they had requested, even though I had submitted them 3
times, the second time by registered mail and the third it was done by computer in the bus that visits country town, by their own staff.They cut off my pension, my husband's and disabled daughters pensions
Sorted out in one day when local member got involved, no apology from Centrelink though for the stress they caused me
This has happened to me three times, wach time when moving home and buying a new property
God knows where all this private financial information ends up if they can't find it. It's very worrying in these days if identity theft
I got similar experience with one of the leading banks - I signed refinance documents and sent them via post. Documents were never received by banks. My second attempt was to send them from bank branch via facsimile service. Even I got a receipt of successfull transmission, Bangalore processing Center claimed that they did not receive it. After that I made a lot of noise and document were submitted directly to one of managers via email. Documents were time sensitive and I almost missed that window of opportunity. This was bank not a Centrelink.
Unfortunately old fashion customer service is vanishing in this country. my advise - complain to ombudsman on all issues.

The system is a joke! I'm 46, on DSP due to mental health. However I signed up with a disability employment agency in March as I know I need the support to work a part time job. I want to work. Regularly applying for jobs, even cleaning, I'm continually being knocked back because I haven't worked in a while. However, to be able to look for work through the DES support agency, I need a support officer from Centrelink to call me and approve over the phone that I'm fit to work! I'm still waiting for the call...

On the other hand, I have a friend who has OA in her neck and spine, fibromyalgia and that's only the beginning. Yet they are refusing to give her DSP because she is only 40 years old 🙄.

A few years ago another friend who's husband had passed away leaving her to raise 2 young daughters, was told she was too young to receive a widow's pension!

The system needs a major overhaul
"Widow B Pension is for certain older women who have lost the financial support of a male partner, through death, separation or divorce (who do not qualify for parenting payment)."

Your friend did not qualify for widow's pension, but she would have been able to apply for parenting payment or, as it used to be known as, single parent's payment.

I don't have any dealings with Centrelink myself, but when my youngest son turned 21 in 2011, he was diagnosed with Crohns disease.

After several instances of hospitalisation, I suggested to him to ask his doctor if he would qualify for the disability pension. The doctor gave him a medical certificate for Centrelink and my son was in receipt of the disability pension without any hassles.

He was on disability for a very short time as he was studying and was offered a graduate job halfway through the second year of his software engineering degree.

i have and still am going through very similar circumstances, after taking an early retirement package from working 18 years in prisons, and building my granny flat with these funds being absorbed into the build, I suffered a stroke due to a heart condition and was left with low vision and having to learn to walk and speak again.
i applied for jobseeker which i was told i needed to do first as it would take 7 months for a disability pension to be approved, only to find that they said after a 4 month wait that i would not get jobseeker due to my payout from work until March 2024, I have now been 6 weeks trying to get through on the phone to lodge a hardship case with no one answering or being hung up on.
I have been living on my super drawdown and trying to keep myself above water with bills and medication
and going without to try make it to this date
this government has a lot to answer to and there will be blood on their hands before they are booted out of power
That has been the case for decades that if you apply for jobseeker allowance, you have to use your payout from your employer first.

Ive had mixed results dealing with Centrelink.
Currently good / very good, but previously very bad.

Recently I have nothing but praise for MyAged Care staff who have been helpful and efficient in arranging a care package for my wife. Getting a Carers Allowance for my self was a little more complex and slow but got there in a couple of months.

However getting the age pension 5 years ago for my self and my wife was a nightmare. Centrelink:
- gave false and misleading advise both on line and in person.
- had an IT systems that failed - it took 3 months to recover my online application.
- Claimed we had not made an application for the pension. We had.

I then requested:
1. An FOI order to look at their / our records - this showed information that they denied existed.
2. An "Independent Review" this got my pension back dated.
3. An Administrative Appeals Tribunal review (but my wife still not entitled to a back dated pension).
4. Compensation for Centrelink's "Defective Administration". This paid the amount of pension she should have received.
This process took 14 months! And a lot of work on my part. It is not easy.
For most people applying for the age pension this is a once in a lifetime experience, so should not be difficult.
I can now see the misleading information on their website had been removed. So maybe things are now better.
Ive lodged this reply so others can see what you have to do to get what you are entitled to when the system (Centrelink) fails you but dont expect it to be quick.

View attachment 27429

View attachment 27430

Key Takeaways

I can understand your frustration, when I retired the first time 2021, at 72, I had to wait from September 2021 to February 2022 to receive any payments. I was told I had to use most of my savings etc which included super, holiday pay, long service leave to qualify. By the time I was granted an Aged pension I had $6.72 in the bank and went back to part time work to cope, Now have part pension as I work 14 hours per week, but trying to save all over again. Made me angry that being an Aussie didn't fit into most categories

View attachment 27429

View attachment 27430

Key Takeaways

I had to wait 18 months to get a disability pension, my husband had to go into a nursing home when I just turned 60 I had never worked during our marriage and they wanted me to look for jobs, I had Drs and specialists reports saying I was unfit for any type of work. I was at the stage I wanted my life t9 end as it was just to hard but finally they agreed I was unfit for work.

View attachment 27429

View attachment 27430

Key Takeaways

I recently found out I was entitled to a low income health care card over 3 years ago.Applied over three months ago,spent one month collecting everything known to man from both my husband and myself,including the date I left my place of birth over 60 years ago and the name of the ship we travelled here in....meanwhile nothing.I tried ringing over and over finally bring told "I can't see anything wrong or outstanding on your application,,don't know what to tell you,just wait till you hear from us"!!
Really?I would hate to think if my purchase of food was reliant on such a fantastically organised and informed department!!!

I recently found out I was entitled to a low income health care card over 3 years ago.Applied over three months ago,spent one month collecting everything known to man from both my husband and myself,including the date I left my place of birth over 60 years ago and the name of the ship we travelled here in....meanwhile nothing.I tried ringing over and over finally bring told "I can't see anything wrong or outstanding on your application,,don't know what to tell you,just wait till you hear from us"!!
Really?I would hate to think if my purchase of food was reliant on such a fantastically organised and informed department!!!
Get on to your local member, I've found that is the only way to get things moving with Centrelink or NDIS. That is as long as you have a decent member where you live.