Markle v. Markle: Meghan sued by half-sister Samantha

Ever since her engagement to Prince Harry launched her into the public eye, Meghan’s paternal side of the family has always insisted on inserting themselves into the picture.

Thomas Markle Sr., who has long been described as an “estranged father” to his daughter, has repeatedly bad-mouthed Meghan to the press, creating unnecessary drama out of thin air.

This time, it seems like it is his children’s turn to throw mud at the Duchess. According to various reports, Meghan’s half-sister, Samantha Markle is planning to further insult Meghan by suing her for defamation, over claims that she lied several times in her now-infamous Oprah interview.

BODwZgMI3lzcqv4P-wwxDZJfENdvBVv69lDQEVvUyPE8F9y-Db-utekwIIvMKA7SmPWsjszLnzRwejGkWGq8xsznEM2FtiwYjtQz8KvpPBw441x1t54QfSI5zhcsK0QjzBjveI9N

Samantha Markle has taken legal action against her half-sister, the Duchess of Sussex. Credit: insideedition.com via The Sun.
According to Samantha, Meghan was lying when she made up a “rags to riches” narrative about herself in the Oprah interview.

The 57-year-old also contests how Meghan called herself an “only child” in the interview when clearly she has other siblings. However, even though Meghan is 17 years younger than her siblings, she was raised in a different household.

In an open letter to Congress about parental leave, Meghan said that she started working at 13 to help her family “make ends meet.” But Samantha disproves this claim by saying that their father, Thomas, was actually the one who paid for Meghan to attend “elite and expensive private schools” and “dance and acting classes.”

According to Samantha, Thomas was also the one who covered Megan’s tuition and living expenses as a college student at Northwestern University in the US, which Meghan said both in the Oprah interview and on the Ellen Show that she worked to pay herself.

And while these reasons may seem to be shallow and petty from an outsider’s perspective, Samantha’s actual concern is about her book sales. According to her lawsuit, her book sales were “damaged” by Meghan’s lies.

The public impression Meghan left for her family also allegedly “prevented” Samantha from getting jobs, which in turn led to her emotional and mental distress. She is demanding $101,000 AUD from the Duchess for reparations.

Michael Kump, one of the lawyers representing the Duchess of Sussex, has called the lawsuit “baseless and absurd”, and a “continuation of a pattern of disturbing behaviour”.

“We will give it the minimum attention necessary, which is all it deserves,” he added.

Since marrying into the royal family in May 2018, Meghan has moved to distance herself from her half-sister, who has made repeated attempts to cash in on her royal link by spewing lies and fabricated stories to the media.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
I don't think they're close as a family or as sisters....but she's right, the bullcrap story of her impoverished life, ..her dad sent her to private school and acting classes (which I don't think his other kids got) and she can't really portray herself as a dumpster-diver one minute, and a 'rich famous actress the next' and that money and notoriety hasn't made a difference to her life....

I do understand the 'only child' bit. My siblings have all left home by the time I went to school and I saw most of them (and their families) once a year or sometimes even once every two years. While I knew they were my siblings, they never felt like it. That is, until I was approximately 30 and we all met 'as adults'.

While I dearly loved them (almost all of them are now deceased), I still describe myself as having been raised an only child.

Reactions: Ricci