Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Marching Girls

NO.jpeg
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Remember the marching girls? The dedication and precision of these girls were exceptional. Did you ever see marching girls in action? Share your memories here.

Last edited:
Marching girls was a big thing in Adelaide. My aunt in her 70s was in a Marching Grannies team.

I was a marching girl on the Central Coast, NSW in the 60's. My biggest memory was our tough coach and that my position was marker so I had to mark time when we were doing wheels. It helped me always walk straight! 😊
If I hear marching music, particularly on Anzac Day it takes me straight back to white boots and leg tan. 😊

Reactions: Gsr
I was lucky enough to be a marching girl for the parramatta rsl club team in the sixties , we even won a few competitions .
always marched on Anzac Day. Sad that we don’t have these anymore , we use to travel all over nsw to compete. Whatever happened to them .😊

In my teenage years I was a member of the Rockdale Kyeemagah Matching Squad, and loved every minute of it. The discipline and enjoyment that we got out of being in group competition whether we won or lost was a joy. One night a week or two of practise if we were going into big competitions on the weekend was both great exercise and friendship building. We took pride in our appearance with our green and gold uniforms and high top white boots were immaculate.

I was a marching girl in the 70's and 80's in Victoria. Our team even won the National Championship one year. There were heaps of teams from Victoria.

Reactions: Suemac and Gsr
I was lucky enough to be a marching girl for the parramatta rsl club team in the sixties , we even won a few competitions .
always marched on Anzac Day. Sad that we don’t have these anymore , we use to travel all over nsw to compete. Whatever happened to them .😊
Back then we did what made us happy. Before 'cool' was invented.

Marching Girls

View attachment 31428
Credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Remember the marching girls? The dedication and precision of these girls were exceptional. Did you ever see marching girls in action? Share your memories here.
Yes they were a popular part of street parades once, and they would march at 'Field Days' where we played sports with other teams.

Reactions: Suemac and Gsr
Something I always loved watching were the marching girls. They marched at Anzac parades and at our street parades and some sporting events. I dearly wanted to join them but we lived out in the sticks, mum didn’t drive, dad worked away all week, and no way could we have afforded any of the costs involved anyway. Just one of the things I would have loved to have been able to do growing up, but being from a large very poor family it was only ever a dream. I am lucky I had a childhood with lots of great times that make for wonderful memories and stories to tell my kids and grandkids regardless.

Reactions: Suemac
I'm from Victoria originally also, and never witnessed any marching girls in action in the '60's or 70's or 80's....however since moving to Queensland in late '80's I must tell you that I have witnessed the NFL Dallas Cheerleaders numerous times on television.....boy they are great I can tell you......does that count? 🤣

I'm from Victoria originally also, and never witnessed any marching girls in action in the '60's or 70's or 80's....however since moving to Queensland in late '80's I must tell you that I have witnessed the NFL Dallas Cheerleaders numerous times on television.....boy they are great I can tell you......does that count? 🤣
There were lots of teams from different suburbs and country regions that used to compete if I remember they had three sections midget teens and seniors

Reactions: Suemac
I'm from country Victoria, and I remember in the early 60's seeing the marching girls practice on the local football ground after school. They were coached by committed older ladies who knew their stuff. Sadly another good activity for our young girls and women has disappeared!