Man tragically dies over fatal substance intended for someone else

The case of a Queensland man's death has raised serious concerns about the safeguards within the state's voluntary assisted dying (VAD) scheme.

The elderly man, referred to as ABC for legal reasons, tragically passed away using a fatal substance that was intended for another person.

This incident has sparked a debate about the balance between patient autonomy and the need for stringent regulatory oversight in the administration of VAD substances.

Coroner David O’Connell, in his findings, emphasised the gravity of the situation.

‘Persons should not be placed in a position where they can be led into unwise decisions,’ he said.

The inquest into ABC's death, which occurred within 107 days of the legalisation of VAD in Queensland, highlighted a 'tragedy' that has led to a call for a re-examination of the current laws.

shutterstock_2482094735.jpg
ABC tragically died after using a fatal substance intended for another person. Credit: Shutterstock

The VAD law in Queensland, which came into effect in January 2023, allows terminally ill patients to self-administer a VAD substance in a private location.

However, they must nominate a person legally required to return any unused or leftover portion within 14 days.

In ABC's case, the substance was not returned to a hospital due to his inability to leave his home, and no arrangement was made for a health professional to collect it.

ABC's daughter recounted the heart-wrenching moment she discovered her father's lifeless body.

‘I thought he was asleep in the chair. I put my arms around him. He was cold,’ she said.

ABC’s daughter also found an empty box in the kitchen and ‘knew immediately it was the VAD’.

The coroner found no breach of the law by health authorities, despite the substance being overdue for return.

However, he criticised the system's 'operational flaws' and the lack of 'well-considered law’.

‘It is clear that the system and its purportedly rigorous “check and balances”, had several operational flaws...it was, in my respectful opinion, not a well-considered law,’ O’Connell said.

In response to this case, Coroner O’Connell recommended that the Queensland government implement an earlier draft of VAD laws that required oversight by a medical professional at all times.

Queensland Health Minister Shannon Fentiman acknowledged the coroner's recommendations and had ‘already done some work in the respect’.

‘Following that case, we are working on a review of that legislation coming up to three years that will start next year, and that will obviously be one of the things that we look at,’ she said.
Key Takeaways
  • A Queensland coroner criticised the safeguards in the state's voluntary assisted dying scheme after finding an elderly man died using a fatal substance intended for someone else.
  • The coroner found faults in the current laws, noting they allowed terminally ill patients to possess dangerous drugs without medical training, regulatory oversight, or during times of personal turmoil.
  • The incident occurred within 107 days of the legalisation of voluntary assisted dying in Queensland and highlighted flaws in the system's checks and balances.
  • The Queensland Health Minister stated that the government would consider the coroner’s recommendations and reiterated that a review of the legislation is slated for the following year.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to ABC's family, friends, and relatives. May he rest in peace.

Have you or someone you know navigated the VAD process? What measures do you believe are necessary to protect individuals while preserving their autonomy? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I am so sorry to hear about ABC's case. This is just my personal opinion, but I don't believe in VAD. I have numerous serious health concerns but would never consider VAD, I know a lot of people would. There seems to be needed more checks and balances in place and definite medical advice around doing this. I know doctors are unsure about this new law especially after all the publicity regarding Philip Nitschke and I dont' blame them. May ABC rest in peace.

I would like to see total autonomy for my end of life. Why should strangers have a say over hiw you are allowed to end your life. Fearing death, the inky guarantee you have in life is ridiculous in this day and age.

so sorry you both went through that.
My heart goes out to you both. May your partner rest in eternal peace 🕊️ condolences to you.
Love Vicki

How can we expect our doctors & nurses to "kill people legally" when they are committed to preserving life? I believe that VAD is really murder under cover of being helpful to someone who wants to die.

Doctors can also cause the death of their elderly patients (particularly those who are difficult to care for) with the use of morphine for minor complaints. I believe this was what happened to my mother in a nursing home when she complained of a sore hip so was administered morphine - why not something more suitable like Panadol or Panadeine to see if that would help? - & died the next day without regaining consciousness. Sure, she was old, but basically she was healthy with no need for life-prolonging medication, only needing a couple of prescriptions for non-life-threatening complaints.

How can we expect our doctors & nurses to "kill people legally" when they are committed to preserving life? I believe that VAD is really murder under cover of being helpful to someone who wants to die.

Doctors can also cause the death of their elderly patients (particularly those who are difficult to care for) with the use of morphine for minor complaints. I believe this was what happened to my mother in a nursing home when she complained of a sore hip so was administered morphine - why not something more suitable like Panadol or Panadeine to see if that would help? - & died the next day without regaining consciousness. Sure, she was old, but basically she was healthy with no need for life-prolonging medication, only needing a couple of prescriptions for non-life-threatening complaints.
Elaine darling, l am so very sad and sorry this happened to your darling mum. Sadly l tend to agree with you on this matter. It does not matter if you are old or not we all deserve dignity care and love.
May your dear mum rest in eternal peace 🕊️ condolences to you and your family.
Love Vicki

Am I the only one who is baffled by this story?
Who was the VAD substance intended for? Was it ABC themselves?
If so, what does the headline "intended for someone else" mean?
If not, then who was it intended for? (No need for names, just a simple explanation).
If it was intended for use by ABC, then the law was broken by not returning the unused portion.
Could someone please explain what actually took place as the story does not explain this sufficiently.

Yes, this article's headline mentions, quote: "the elderly man, referred to as ABC for legal reasons, tragically passed away using a fatal substance that was intended for another person." However, it further states that any remaining medicine should have been returned within a specific period of time. Quote: "However, they must nominate a person legally required to return any unused or leftover portion within 14 days."

In ABC's case, the substance was not returned to a hospital due to his inability to leave his home, and no arrangement was made for a health professional to collect it. Can someone please explain further - or report the article in its entirety - as there are a lot of unanswered questions here.

Last edited:

My grandfather had cancer over 60 years ago in the UK and had a doctor come to his house regularly then one day my auntie said the doctor had given him something and he wouldn't wake up .Now it's all legal

Reactions: Ezzy
Yes, this article's headline mentions, quote: "the elderly man, referred to as ABC for legal reasons, tragically passed away using a fatal substance that was intended for another person." However, it further states that any remaining medicine should have been returned within a specific period of time. Quote: "However, they must nominate a person legally required to return any unused or leftover portion within 14 days."

In ABC's case, the substance was not returned to a hospital due to his inability to leave his home, and no arrangement was made for a health professional to collect it. Can someone please explain further - or report the article in its entirety - as there are a lot of unanswered questions here.
I agree with Catherine’s, I don,t understand it either

I read of a case where a man had the drug at home and was then admitted to hospital where he was eventually euthanased. His wife then killed herself with the oral drugs that had not been Returned etc. I believe the use of these drugs should be supervised and witnessed by a doctor or there will be more cases like this. Also the above account does not explain who the drugs were prescribed for and why they were not used by the intended recipient.

Am I the only one who is baffled by this story?
Who was the VAD substance intended for? Was it ABC themselves?
If so, what does the headline "intended for someone else" mean?
If not, then who was it intended for? (No need for names, just a simple explanation).
If it was intended for use by ABC, then the law was broken by not returning the unused portion.
Could someone please explain what actually took place as the story does not explain this sufficiently.
Was wondering that too... sounds very fishy! :confused:

A colleage with terminal cancer made the decision for VAD in Victoria, it was the most gruelling, intensive process, they lived in country Victoria, her partner had to mix and assist her to take the medication. Two of the bravest people I know💜. Should be able to have VAD for dementia it is criminal how our loved ones are forced to exist…… if the conversation could be had before the disease progressed to far it may be an option??

A colleage with terminal cancer made the decision for VAD in Victoria, it was the most gruelling, intensive process, they lived in country Victoria, her partner had to mix and assist her to take the medication. Two of the bravest people I know💜. Should be able to have VAD for dementia it is criminal how our loved ones are forced to exist…… if the conversation could be had before the disease progressed to far it may be an option??
Totally agree...! You have to experience it with a loved one, to understand!
:confused: :oops::cry:😞

It’s hard as the person would have to specify the degree of dementia where they would not want to live, while they still had capacity It’s also possible that they may be pressured into deciding this by others. It’s a tricky area