Man suing Australia Post for 'carding' him finally sees justice

Last year, Wade Short, an Eltham resident, filed a claim with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) against Australia Post for unsatisfactory delivery service to his address, after becoming increasingly disappointed with the company's performance.

Even though he and his wife were at home during Melbourne's lockdowns, the homeowner claims that no deliveries were sent to his location.

Instead, cards with instructions to pick up the items at the post office were left at their residence – a process known as 'carding'.

The couple also discovered that they had packages tossed up their outdoor stairs and left at their front door without their doorbell being rung. According to Mr Short, the driver even made up a story that their steps were too 'unsafe' to use.

VCAT found that the two spent half an hour every week going to their local post office just to pick up packages that Australia Post had failed to deliver.

While some of the packages contained items for their party rental business, others were medications for their daughter, who was awaiting a liver transplant.

zw70pJVW5PXsJgk4b94vQD9ijI0t0HznoJhiZHUqz9yCg6AjmcpUr2YeRUF_V-axx0QZL9ZypRkfMrFgmR6AK4jbDfigZ3TFAPeXb_Cn6d9LlPygULXNEdsl0-wggpFjInI01vUYEUApKN-BeJJSM6U

Wade Short sued the national postal service last year for poor delivery to his home. Credit: A Current Affair.

'There was absolutely no reason why he couldn't deliver the parcels. We're there; in fact, my wife works at home, I work from home, my wife's desk was right next to the front door,' Mr Short said in an interview with A Current Affair.

Thankfully, they were successful in their civil lawsuit against the national postal service, which is good news for Mr Short and his family.

The $3,100 compensation amount was determined by calculating $80 per hour to go to the post office — assuming each trip took half an hour, once per week, for 78 weeks, plus VCAT filing fees.

However, the Melbourne resident said he couldn't care less about the money. 'What I really want, and I still haven't got, is an apology from Australia Post,' he said.

Gerard Brody, who serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the Consumer Action Law Centre, expressed his shock and disappointment upon hearing of the work done by Australia Post in this particular matter.

'It's pretty appalling service from the postie. We would expect Australia Post and all their agents and contractors to treat customers with respect and to abide by consumer law, including providing services with due care and skill,' said Mr Brody.

He also expressed his agreement with the court's decision and added that he was pleased by Mr Short's legal triumph, which is a good thing for every Australian consumer.

'I was championing for the applicants themselves. I thought good on them for using their consumer rights, holding a business accountable and seeing the tribunal confirm that the Australian Consumer Law does apply to Australia Post.'

oT2CdttK8IG4od_GehLdV-c_5UayIiSE3p7h7PvDBzg49gucgbA1NvwDw8OSfcoZY0YAPrqNcIj_sMHpcNM5vuv4qc0gjR3uX_32-ghLgvgcgUZFE1XiibWpL-cqDh3zWQiCT1V4TjXWGHQx0uVBIjk

Australia Post must compensate a Melbourne couple more than $3000 after leaving goods at the post office during the pandemic. Credit: A Current Affair.

Australia Post issued the following statement in response to the entire situation:

'We regret the situation that occurred with our customer in Eltham. It is not reflective of the work we do every day to deliver to people all over Australia.'

'We know there are frustrations with carding and are working with our teams to reduce the need for it. We always strive to do better.'

'Over the course of the past two years, Australia Post has had some of its busiest days ever, and consistently delivered 2 million parcels every weekday in December. We will always work hard to serve our community.'

The postal worker's union has stated in the past that the practice of 'carding' is growing increasingly common as a result of Australia Post's use of subcontractors in its operations.

During the pandemic, Australia Post had to rely on a larger network of subcontractors to meet the skyrocketing demand for package delivery.

A representative from Australia Post stated that the company acknowledged the tribunal's ruling and would abide by it.

What do you think about this story, folks? Does Australia Post also handle the delivery of your packages? If so, have you had any similar experiences, or is everything smooth-sailing so far? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
Last year, Wade Short, an Eltham resident, filed a claim with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) against Australia Post for unsatisfactory delivery service to his address, after becoming increasingly disappointed with the company's performance.

Even though he and his wife were at home during Melbourne's lockdowns, the homeowner claims that no deliveries were sent to his location.

Instead, cards with instructions to pick up the items at the post office were left at their residence – a process known as 'carding'.

The couple also discovered that they had packages tossed up their outdoor stairs and left at their front door without their doorbell being rung. According to Mr Short, the driver even made up a story that their steps were too 'unsafe' to use.

VCAT found that the two spent half an hour every week going to their local post office just to pick up packages that Australia Post had failed to deliver.

While some of the packages contained items for their party rental business, others were medications for their daughter, who was awaiting a liver transplant.

zw70pJVW5PXsJgk4b94vQD9ijI0t0HznoJhiZHUqz9yCg6AjmcpUr2YeRUF_V-axx0QZL9ZypRkfMrFgmR6AK4jbDfigZ3TFAPeXb_Cn6d9LlPygULXNEdsl0-wggpFjInI01vUYEUApKN-BeJJSM6U

Wade Short sued the national postal service last year for poor delivery to his home. Credit: A Current Affair.

'There was absolutely no reason why he couldn't deliver the parcels. We're there; in fact, my wife works at home, I work from home, my wife's desk was right next to the front door,' Mr Short said in an interview with A Current Affair.

Thankfully, they were successful in their civil lawsuit against the national postal service, which is good news for Mr Short and his family.

The $3,100 compensation amount was determined by calculating $80 per hour to go to the post office — assuming each trip took half an hour, once per week, for 78 weeks, plus VCAT filing fees.

However, the Melbourne resident said he couldn't care less about the money. 'What I really want, and I still haven't got, is an apology from Australia Post,' he said.

Gerard Brody, who serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the Consumer Action Law Centre, expressed his shock and disappointment upon hearing of the work done by Australia Post in this particular matter.

'It's pretty appalling service from the postie. We would expect Australia Post and all their agents and contractors to treat customers with respect and to abide by consumer law, including providing services with due care and skill,' said Mr Brody.

He also expressed his agreement with the court's decision and added that he was pleased by Mr Short's legal triumph, which is a good thing for every Australian consumer.

'I was championing for the applicants themselves. I thought good on them for using their consumer rights, holding a business accountable and seeing the tribunal confirm that the Australian Consumer Law does apply to Australia Post.'

oT2CdttK8IG4od_GehLdV-c_5UayIiSE3p7h7PvDBzg49gucgbA1NvwDw8OSfcoZY0YAPrqNcIj_sMHpcNM5vuv4qc0gjR3uX_32-ghLgvgcgUZFE1XiibWpL-cqDh3zWQiCT1V4TjXWGHQx0uVBIjk

Australia Post must compensate a Melbourne couple more than $3000 after leaving goods at the post office during the pandemic. Credit: A Current Affair.

Australia Post issued the following statement in response to the entire situation:

'We regret the situation that occurred with our customer in Eltham. It is not reflective of the work we do every day to deliver to people all over Australia.'

'We know there are frustrations with carding and are working with our teams to reduce the need for it. We always strive to do better.'

'Over the course of the past two years, Australia Post has had some of its busiest days ever, and consistently delivered 2 million parcels every weekday in December. We will always work hard to serve our community.'

The postal worker's union has stated in the past that the practice of 'carding' is growing increasingly common as a result of Australia Post's use of subcontractors in its operations.

During the pandemic, Australia Post had to rely on a larger network of subcontractors to meet the skyrocketing demand for package delivery.

A representative from Australia Post stated that the company acknowledged the tribunal's ruling and would abide by it.

What do you think about this story, folks? Does Australia Post also handle the delivery of your packages? If so, have you had any similar experiences, or is everything smooth-sailing so far? Let us know in the comments!
For me I can only praise Australia Post. I am housebound & rely heavily on everything being delivered, parcels delivered from interstate arrived overnight on both occasions this week. . Only once did I receive a card & it was from a subcontractor during covid & some occasions I received parcels on Sundays during Covid. I am happy for Wayne he had an avenue to resolve his issue.

Reactions: Ricci and terri
This has been going on for years. Once I was carded for a parcel .that came from a store 2 blocks from my home. I had paid a delivery fee for it. I had to go to the PO which was 4 times further away to pick up this heavy parcel. I needed to pay for a taxi to get it home.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
I have the same problem in North Lakes (QLD): My front door faces the street, the bell works and can be heard throughout the house, I'm retired and have my study in a room at the front of the house next to the front door. When I expect a delivery I have to check the post box every day because I know there will be no delivery, only a card. I inform the local Post Office of this every time I go to pick up a parcel, and they say they will look into it. No feedback, and no improvement. It's very unfortunate that legal action seems to be the only way to be heard, and then no guarantee things will improve.

Carding is a real problem for the receiver.
Of course, not everyone lives within 5 seconds of the front door so the Postie should be patient to allow answering the doorbell so avoiding need to 'Card'.

Additionally. the worst parts are: 1) having to wait until near closing time for mail to get back to the APO shop 2) the 25 minute walk to the post office or need to drive there in often inclement weather 3) the fact the sender has PAID for "to door" delivery, 4) the impact of this on the disabled 5) the in Postshop queues (often many minutes) while customers get their passport papers / photo's done - 6) Covid distancing often means the queue goes outside the Postshop, 7) all the (D/Licence photo ID) 'proofing' needed to get ANY mail over counter for carded items.....and the high postage payable by the sender make this all the worse for Express & Priority mail items!

I too have had similar experiences with Australia Post. Not all the posties are like that but I was sitting in my loungeroom with the door open (looking at the letterbox) and the postie just put a card in and drove off. Another time my husband was at home and the same thing happened. Like I said it's not all posties but there are a few. I live in Queensland so I know it's not the same postie that delivers to Eltham. For the posties that do their jobs properly I say a big THANK YOY

Be thankful you get a card! Many parcels I get I don’t get a card neither do they knock on my door! It’s not until I check the AP APP I see they tried to deliver & now I have to pick up from post office.. so annoying, more so when I am home!

Sounds familiar.....on the rare occasion that I receive a parcel, it always gets 'Carded'. I've even seen the Delivery truck arrive and the driver put the card straight into the letterbox, with no chance of me hobbling out the door to hail him.
It always says to collect the parcel after 4pm, and it might only be 8:30am, so I have to wait all day.
Sometimes, I don't know which PO it's at....there are several nearby. Ringing Australia Post to find the relevant PO can take an hour waiting on the line to get a response.....all when I was at home.

• Sad
I have had parcels left in full view of the road when I was not home and on several occasions I have got up in the early morning and checked the mail box and found a parcel in the mail box. Recently my husband had been out and could not come up the driveway as a vehicle was in the driveway He parked the car and the other vehicle drove off. He thought it was one of our sons but when I said no he had not been he went and checked the mailbox. Sure enough there was a parcel in there. This was after hours so we have guessed the parcel had been dropped off at a nearby house by mistake and the owner had then come round with the parcel. We have often had letters etc left in our mail box.

More often than not I get a card in the mailbox. Sometimes it’s fine, if I’m not home when the delivery is made, as I would rather get a card than have a parcel left by the front door. Other times I have been home and there’s no attempt made to deliver the item. And yet other times the postie brings it to my door and waits for me to respond. There seems no rhyme nor reason to the process.

The Post Office, by their own admission, carded the wrong address for one item on several occasions and finally left a card at my address, in Dakabin. After, they had returned the item to sender, in Belgium.
This involved contacting the sender, the item being re despatched, the extra costs involved and time delay in the use of the item.
Apart from confirming their error, any and all correspondence with them, has been ignored, including their completed form asking for opinion of their performance.
There is still no reply/acknowledgement from the Post Office.

I have had very similar difficulties because we live on a battleaxe block. Even though we were home NO attempt had been made to deliver our parcels or special mail. I complained every time I had to go to the mail exchange to collect the goods, was told to fill in a form, or basically ignored. However, I must say that the young men delivering now are great and will leave mail in a safe place if they cannot rouse anyone in the house.

I get an automatic text when I have a parcel I choose to pick my mail up from the post office but if you don't then yes they should deliver to your house sounds like very poor service i'm glad he won

Reactions: OrchidLady
Sounds familiar.....on the rare occasion that I receive a parcel, it always gets 'Carded'. I've even seen the Delivery truck arrive and the driver put the card straight into the letterbox, with no chance of me hobbling out the door to hail him.
It always says to collect the parcel after 4pm, and it might only be 8:30am, so I have to wait all day.
Sometimes, I don't know which PO it's at....there are several nearby. Ringing Australia Post to find the relevant PO can take an hour waiting on the line to get a response.....all when I was at home.
me too!

With both parcels and mail have had issues Parcel wise yes I was home I watched on my video the driver fill out card and walk to mail box .. So went out the door and said hey stop being so lazy Next was postman delivering my mail from the hospital regarding my cancer surgery .. How does delivering to street number 55 equate to my street number 49 Thankfully the kind elderly lady at 55 walked up with a struggle to give me that important mail Spoke to postman and he said he did not care and did I have a number on my house Of course I do and its 3 houses after he delivers to 55 .. Brain dead human that one

For me I can only praise Australia Post. I am housebound & rely heavily on everything being delivered, parcels delivered from interstate arrived overnight on both occasions this week. . Only once did I receive a card & it was from a subcontractor during covid & some occasions I received parcels on Sundays during Covid. I am happy for Wayne he had an avenue to resolve his issue.
Thanks Ricci & Terri

I’ve had registered items requiring a signature left on my doorstep, while those not requiring a signature are carded

I had same experience as Post below on numerous occasions. Then had staff at PO abuse me when l complained about poor service. Rarely use Aust Post if can find alternative.

I too have had similar experiences with Australia Post. Not all the posties are like that but I was sitting in my loungeroom with the door open (looking at the letterbox) and the postie just put a card in and drove off. Another time my husband was at home and the same thing happened. Like I said it's not all posties but there are a few. I live in Queensland so I know it's not the same postie that delivers to Eltham. For the posties that do their jobs properly I say a big THANK YO behaviour in Melba ACT, watch van river put card in box when clearly they had items in van. l was very sick andone iteml had to go to PO to get was a heavy heater and l had to create a scene before staff would take it out to kerb and put in car.

While I sympathise with the gentleman and applaud the courts decision to award damages I am still amused that so many people complain about Australia post and their continuing poor record with the delivery service being provided. How about no delivery at all !! We live in a small country town approx 25k from the closest larger town. Australia post thought that we were large enough to warant being given our own post code, however we are apparently not large enough to be awarded a house to house postal delivery service! Every item of post whether it be letters or parcels is automatically delivered to the local store which also happens to be a Post Office agency. No one here gets mail delivered to their home and because of that there are no letter boxes outside the houses on the streets, letter boxes usually have numbers on them, because of that good luck trying to find any house in our area. Some of us have resorted to signage on fences, displaying our house number but actual letter boxes are non existent as most residents do not see the need for them. If we lived on acreage I could understand the no delivery service, but we do not, the majority of homes in what is commonly called the town site sit on slightly larger blocks than most city suburbs. So is it just laziness on the part of Australia Post or is it part of a long term plan to take away postal delivery services in Regional Australia?