Man slams airline for $3,500 offer on damaged wheelchair: ‘Qantas has basically broken my legs’

When we think of air travel, we often picture the excitement of jetting off to new adventures or the convenience of quick and comfortable journeys.

However, for those with disabilities, air travel can be fraught with anxiety, especially when it comes to the safety and handling of essential mobility aids.

This was prominently demonstrated in the recent case of Timothy Lachlan, an Australian wheelchair athlete and disability advocate, who had a disappointing experience with Qantas.

Timothy Lachlan isn't just any traveller; he's a man who made history as the first Australian to land a wheelchair backflip. He is also an athlete, disability advocate, and advisor.

So, when he boarded a Qantas flight from Dallas, Texas, to Sydney in February, he expected his trusted wheelchair to be treated with care. Instead, he was met with a situation that left him grounded.

Screenshot 2024-05-23 092217.png
Lachlan stated that his custom wheelchair was damaged after a flight with Qantas. Image source: Instagram

Upon arrival, Lachlan discovered his custom wheelchair, which had been a reliable companion for over a decade, was badly damaged by airline handlers, rendering it unusable.

The chair, which Lachlan describes as ‘his legs’, was so damaged that it would tip back on the slightest incline.

This damage not only affected his mobility but also his livelihood, as Lachlan is an occupational therapist. Currently, he is using a friend's wheelchair to get around. He attempted to repair his own wheelchair, but the damage was too extensive for him to fix.

‘This wheelchair is basically my legs—Qantas has basically broken my legs,’ he said. ‘If you go up the slightest incline, the chair just tips back.’

The battle for fair compensation has been a long and arduous one for Lachlan.

Qantas initially offered him $3,500, a sum that Lachlan pointed out wouldn't 'even cover a set of wheels.' More than that, the airline also wanted him to sign a confidential settlement to keep the matter quiet.

But Lachlan, a man who advocates for disability rights, refused to be silenced. Instead, he chose to speak out against the airline.

In a statement to the media, a Qantas spokesperson said the company ‘sincerely apologises to Mr Lachlan for the damage caused to his wheelchair’.

They added: ‘We have offered him compensation and are waiting to hear back.’

The incident has shed light on a broader issue within the airline industry: the need for greater respect and care when transporting mobility aids.

Lachlan's call to action is not just for Qantas but for all airlines to reevaluate their policies and procedures.

He even extended an invitation to the CEO of Qantas, saying: ‘I am more than happy to meet with them, I invite the CEO of Qantas to jump in this chair and tell me it doesn't need to be replaced.’

You can watch an interview with Lachlan here:

Source: 7NEWS Australia/YouTube​

Key Takeaways
  • Wheelchair athlete Timothy Lachlan claimed his wheelchair was badly damaged by Qantas, making it unusable.
  • Qantas offered Lachlan $3,500 in compensation and requested him to sign a confidential agreement not to discuss the settlement, but he refused.
  • Lachlan highlighted the importance of his wheelchair, equating it to his legs and describing the challenges he faces without it, including lost work.
  • After going public with the issue, Qantas apologised for the damage and stated they had offered compensation, awaiting his response.
We encourage our readers to join the conversation on how airlines can improve their services for passengers with disabilities. Have you or someone you know faced similar challenges while travelling? What changes would you like to see implemented to ensure the safety and dignity of all travellers? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below!

Sponsored
A very similar incident happened to us in 2012 with Jet Star at Brisbane airport.
When we returned from a wedding in Sydney, my late partner (a quadriplegic) was dumped into a small push wheelchair for 3 hours, which he continuously kept slipping out of, while his battery-operated wheelchair was being restored!
Yes, they actually took the wheelchair apart - resulting in severe pain and discomfort for him.
As if that wasn't bad enough, some of our luggage was missing at the time, but eventually found.
I did send a letter, but only got a written apology in response.

A very similar incident happened to us in 2012 with Jet Star at Brisbane airport.
When we returned from a wedding in Sydney, my late partner (a quadriplegic) was dumped into a small push wheelchair for 3 hours, which he continuously kept slipping out of, while his battery-operated wheelchair was being restored!
Yes, they actually took the wheelchair apart - resulting in severe pain and discomfort for him.
As if that wasn't bad enough, some of our luggage was missing at the time, but eventually found.
I did send a letter, but only got a written apology in response.
It was a shame you didn't go public like this chap. Maybe they will take more care with not only suitcases in the future

I feel the compensation amount offered is an insult & Qantas know it too. At least offer him enough for a new wheelchair so he has an option of purchasing a new chair or try to repair the old one.

There really doesn't appear to be a genuine apology from Qantas for the careless manner in which staff appear to have handled this valuable piece of equipment.

Reactions: DLHM
Hi all, still on airlines. In a recent bulletin it was reported that Qantas had released may new reward seats.
Just a small problem.

Have tried to book seats form Melbourne to Hong Kong through the frequent flyer site, and guess what. there are no reward seats available. I have tried flexible dates, no luck. I then tried Melbourne to Guangzhou, which we wanted to go to as well, again no seats.

I have been a Qantas frequent flyer since 1976. Not sure why I have kept it up, I don't think I have ever managed to get a flight, I have basically used the points for hotels.

United however have been very easy to use, China Southern while a great airline, cancel one rolling year every 3 years if you don't use them. Covid fixed all of those points.

Has anyone had any luck with Qantas, if so, could you share.

Jim