Man behind the viral koala-in-a-shopping-trolley video reveals heartwarming animal rescue — here’s how the Aldi trolley helped him

In a surprising turn of events, the man behind the viral TikTok video depicting him as a mysterious Aldi shopper pushing around a koala in a supermarket trolley was actually an animal rescuer on a holiday. Here's the heartwarming story of his koala rescue!

Victoria holiday goer Peter Elmore revealed that he and his wife, Kelly, were enjoying a holiday in Portland when they decided to take a look at the town's local Aldi store.

However, upon entering the Aldi carpark, he noticed that a koala had become trapped.

“There was only one way in and out of the carpark, and the koala was cornered,” Peter said.

“She was trying to climb the high wooden fence and kept falling. And because koalas can’t put their arms out to protect themselves when they fall, she kept landing on her head and bashing her face."

“Then I saw an elderly man nearly run over her and I knew I had to get her out of there.”

d6gzgd55Hh_vSKSvj2egx7DL6TiQWxYetUcpefbNpVCe2h0VG6Y-LCx4_nHD2ZT9z2mThg-yEMqaq8j2_VIi0X5AcaTao4N8AYjSZvimFxPYe7_WSdWrCA2TtsAFrgNP_p-j47M

Peter Elmore revealed that the koala he was photographed with was actually trapped inside the carpark when he and his wife found it. Credit: Facebook.

The seemingly normal Saturday supermarket run for the couple turned out to be a memorable animal rescue mission as both Peter and Kelly are registered wildlife volunteers who experienced rescuing the Aussie marsupial.

Peter said: “We have a few koalas around where we live, so I’ve done it before.”

However, Peter said that since there was no equipment available for transporting the koala, he used an Aldi trolley — making the rescue quirky and unforgettable.

Peter quipped: “I would’ve put her in the back of my car, but I had my dog with me.”

“And I would’ve carried her, but then I saw the ALDI trolley and thought that would be a bit easier!"

“She was very happy to be picked up and rescued."

“Male koalas can be a little more feisty, but she was relaxed in the trolley and was happy for me to move her around."

“I only had to push her about 100 metres until we got to a bit of bushland. Then she went into someone’s backyard and up a tree."

“It was a happy ending.”

oZ73ysAtFOMd3mX8Bx1MK4BcbC1i5F1YgCGoQFQNd7Itgjj_p_46TQTbZ6FtTrNkxOhBk6ZFyCNx5dMSFnpMDr-f7uztLpp0_AQf2ve8SXuVqs8YKwSepldT661LU9HSfs6iWxs

Peter said that he used the Aldi supermarket trolley to transport the animal. Credit: Facebook.

The wildlife volunteer also commented on the now-viral TikTok video of the rescue, saying he was amused that a stranger would find the rescue interesting.

“I didn’t even know I’d been photographed until I saw the video!” he said.

“I can see that it would’ve looked a little unusual."

“But the trolley was just there to help out the koala, it was very handy!”

There you have it, folks! No need to worry whether the man is capable of handling the koala!

If this story warms your heart, we suggest that you check out this video of an Aussie girl who is passionate about Koala rescue:

Credit: YouTube/The Dodo

Sponsored
Too bad that the person who posted the TikTok video of this kind act, did not alert Aldi staff to this occurrence.
Aldi staff may have checked the enclosed car park for anxious Koalas 🐨
Hopefully in the future if this happens again, if staff are alerted they can call an animal rescue/wires.
Some people just think of fame 😠

Good on you Peter, our wildlife need all the help they can get, no matter how it is done as long they get the help needed and they are safe.