Makes women a target? Female-only parking zone sparks debate online

A video has surfaced on TikTok showing a ‘female only’ parking zone in Perth’s CBD and comments flooded with people questioning the area’s security.

User Natasha Gallier posted the video showing a part of the multi-storey car park plastered with hot pink signs, indicating that the slots are only available for female drivers.

“Don’t know if we should be happy or scared there’s a female-only parking with security,” she wrote in the caption.

4rSwKI84e0NNuyL9AXgK32iic1yMM1FGKQJ6z3U0wTLNCXHqPXEBz5ddTAbynxJJZU_JlsieSCELK5oBWFufSBEpgtYsfSzUUf7dXIO5F_G1rhbvlUbnEITfqOgzuLUNB4CMGfW3

The car park requires a paid ticket to enter. A person can’t randomly drive in and stay. Photos from TikTok.

The viral clip was viewed over 580,000 times on the platform, and has users concerned that the effort was somewhat counterproductive. Instead of providing security to women in a car park by themselves, they were led to a vulnerable, secluded area.

Many ladies in the comments section agreed they'd be more terrified to use the allocated "female-friendly" bays.

“So now [possible harassers] know which exact cars to look after to kidnap women,” one user commented. “It looks even more unsafe than regular parks.”

"I would not use this; it just tells the creeps where to look", another added.

One woman said, “Intentions are there, but I feel like this almost makes it worse.”

"It scares me," another woman admitted. "I’d feel safer in the normal one, so they don’t know where I am.”

Parking spaces exclusive for women were first introduced in 2016, with hopes of providing "female-friendly service with added safety and security".

A spokesperson for the City of Perth said in a statement that, "Pier Street was identified as a key facility due to the anti-social behaviour in and around the surrounding area which was impacting our customer's experience and safety.”

"We received positive feedback following the 2016 trial, with patrons highlighting they felt safer and more secure. As a result of the successful trial, CPP has continued the operation of female parking bays at Pier Street Carpark.”

"The carpark is staffed seven days a week by a City of Perth Parking Officer, 24/7 CCTV and the female-only bays are situated near the car park office.”

"No complaints have been received since the launch of the female-friendly parking bays in 2016."

So for the female drivers who are reading this, do you agree? Would you feel safer in a single-sex parking lot? Share your thoughts down below.

Sponsored
I'm not female, so not qualified, but James why is a seniors forum getting so much recycled stuff from TikTok of all sites, which has been getting all sorts of criticism from other media sites?

Reactions: Jennie