Major shake-up at Bunnings as senior management roles are axed. What does this mean for customers?

Beloved hardware giant Bunnings is making big changes to its organisational structure to lower shelf prices and improve customer service. However, this is not without consequence—roughly 300 jobs across training, communications and support services were cut before Christmas last year. Now, further redundancies have been announced, with the latest restructuring affecting senior management roles.

According to The Australian, the Wesfarmers-owned retailer is 'evolving' its strategy to slash costs, and this latest restructure is set to simplify the reporting lines for store team managers. General managers and area managers will be above store managers for the chain’s 352 outlets, while the regional manager role has now been made redundant. A Bunnings spokesperson has confirmed, 'The actual team members have all been offered redeployment to other roles within the business.'

shutterstock_2134759163 (1).jpg
Senior management roles at Bunnings warehouse have been the latest casualty. Image Credit: Shutterstock

While this is definitely a major shake-up for Bunnings, it hasn’t affected team members in stores. In season, the retailer employs roughly 53,000 Australians, including around 1600 in its Melbourne head office.

Of the changes, Bunnings Managing Director Mike Schneider said: ‘We regularly review team structures and resourcing to ensure we have the right skills and roles to support our team.’

‘We recently announced some small changes to our senior retail operations team to simplify our structure and leverage investments made in our operations, both in-store and in our wider team.’

‘This supports our low-cost operator model, ensures a stronger voice for our team, simplifies communication and enhances execution across our network. Post-COVID, this design will help enable deeper engagement with our store teams and, in turn, a more consistent customer offer,' he continued.

Members, this news might be welcome if you’ve ever experienced customer service issues at Bunnings. Hopefully, these changes will lead to more satisfied shoppers. Though a spokesperson reported a positive trend in their Customer Service Satisfaction Score (CSAT) over the past 12-18 months.

At its half-year results in February, Wesfarmers also reported a 14 per cent increase in net profit of $1.4 billion, so it’s clear that despite the restructuring and redundancies, Bunnings is still doing well.

While this is a bit of a shakeup, it appears that team members are safe.

Key Takeaways

• Bunnings has eliminated a layer of senior management roles as part of a corporate restructuring aimed at lowering shelf prices to adapt to harsh economic conditions.
  • The Wesfarmers-owned retailer's strategy is all about simplifying our processes and enhancing efficiency, which leads to greater customer service.
  • Bunnings Managing Director Mike Schneider announced changes to the senior retail operations team to simplify the structure, enhance communication and leverage operational investments.
  • Despite the corporate redundancies, Mr Schneider confirmed this would not affect the workforce in stores, and there will be recruitment across the store network.

Please let us know in the comments below if you know any further details about this restructuring. And if you’re a loyal Bunnings customer, we’d love to know about your experiences with customer service at the popular hardware chain—have you had any recent experiences to share with the rest of the Seniors Discount Club community?

Last edited:
Sponsored
Beloved hardware giant Bunnings is making big changes to its organisational structure to lower shelf prices and improve customer service. However, this is not without consequence—roughly 300 jobs across training, communications and support services were cut before Christmas last year. Now, further redundancies have been announced, with the latest restructuring affecting senior management roles.

According to The Australian, the Wesfarmers-owned retailer is 'evolving' its strategy to slash costs, and this latest restructure is set to simplify the reporting lines for store team managers. General managers and area managers will be above store managers for the chain’s 352 outlets, while the regional manager role has now been made redundant. A Bunnings spokesperson has confirmed, 'The actual team members have all been offered redeployment to other roles within the business.'

View attachment 26379
Senior management roles at Bunnings warehouse have been the latest casualty. Image Credit: Shutterstock

While this is definitely a major shake-up for Bunnings, it hasn’t affected team members in stores. In season, the retailer employs roughly 53,000 Australians, including around 1600 in its Melbourne head office.

Of the changes, Bunnings Managing Director Mike Schneider said: ‘We regularly review team structures and resourcing to ensure we have the right skills and roles to support our team.’

‘We recently announced some small changes to our senior retail operations team to simplify our structure and leverage investments made in our operations, both in-store and in our wider team.’

‘This supports our low-cost operator model, ensures a stronger voice for our team, simplifies communication and enhances execution across our network. Post-COVID, this design will help enable deeper engagement with our store teams and, in turn, a more consistent customer offer,' he continued.

Members, this news might be welcome if you’ve ever experienced customer service issues at Bunnings. Hopefully, these changes will lead to more satisfied shoppers. Though a spokesperson reported a positive trend in their Customer Service Satisfaction Score (CSAT) over the past 12-18 months.

At its half-year results in February, Wesfarmers also reported a 14 per cent increase in net profit of $1.4 billion, so it’s clear that despite the restructuring and redundancies, Bunnings is still doing well.

Key Takeaways

• Bunnings has eliminated a layer of senior management roles as part of a corporate restructuring aimed at lowering shelf prices to adapt to harsh economic conditions.
  • The Wesfarmers-owned retailer's strategy is all about simplifying our processes and enhancing efficiency, which leads to greater customer service.
  • Bunnings Managing Director Mike Schneider announced changes to the senior retail operations team to simplify the structure, enhance communication and leverage operational investments.
  • Despite the corporate redundancies, Mr Schneider confirmed this would not affect the workforce in stores, and there will be recruitment across the store network.

Please let us know in the comments below if you know any further details about this restructuring. And if you’re a loyal Bunnings customer, we’d love to know about your experiences with customer service at the popular hardware chain—have you had any recent experiences to share with the rest of the Seniors Discount Club community?
Our local Bunnings store in Mackay, has very little staff walking the floor. A person has to walk around to find staff to help out.

View attachment 26379

Key Takeaways

I have been a long-term Bunnings customer, for many years.
general staff numbers are usually thin on the ground.
Recently, I have had to use the "special orders" desk, and the staff there could not have been more helpful. They also rang me as soon as my product arrived in the store for me to pick up.
I am certainly satisfied with that part of bunnings.

View attachment 26379

Key Takeaways

I have only good things to say about the people at Bunnings, they are always a big help when I (reguarly) get lost in the wrong aisles. Thing is though it's a bit difficult to find a staff member who's not already besieged by others like me. About the changes, I never like to see Staff reductions, and have never seen it come out well.

I have been a long-term Bunnings customer, for many years.
general staff numbers are usually thin on the ground.
Recently, I have had to use the "special orders" desk, and the staff there could not have been more helpful. They also rang me as soon as my product arrived in the store for me to pick up.
I am certainly satisfied with that part of bunnings.
Have had the same ,short on staff but ones there have always been very helpful

Reactions: Gsr and Kaylee
As I dislike Wesfarmers, this is just another ploy to add to their coffers.

Not to mention the "find a better price and we'll give you 10% off". The trouble with that is most of their products are in-house brands such as Zenith, Ozito and Estilo.

Reactions: Jennie
At 1.4 billion profit, Bunnings need to employ more staff, I love bunnings but it so hard trying to find staff to help. When you can finally find someone often they can’t help, because they haven’t been trained in a department which can be frustrating. Its not the staff fault but the company. I mostly have found friendly and their coffee is great.

Reactions: Leenie

View attachment 26379

Key Takeaways

Generally, I am a loyal Bunnings customer, so I recently tried an online 'pay and collect' order. As I have mobility issues, my wife collected the order for me. When she returned with my order, the most expensive item was not in the order. When I questioned her about it she told me that the woman at the desk said 'that was the entire order' whilst she chatted with other staff about her new haircut.
I received a call about 2 hours later to tell me that the other item was still there for pick-up which required another later trip to the store. It would have been nice if Bunnings offered to deliver the other item as it was a stuff-up from their preoccupied staff.
In my day I would have had to deliver it in my own time and car because it was my mistake. You may remember those times of service.

As I dislike Wesfarmers, this is just another ploy to add to their coffers.

Not to mention the "find a better price and we'll give you 10% off". The trouble with that is most of their products are in-house brands such as Zenith, Ozito and Estilo.
And Ryobi, I know it isn't a house brand but you can only buy Ryobi at bunnings.