'Major flaw' in Woolworths' latest bags causes huge inconvenience for shoppers

At a time when sustainability is a top priority, Woolworths has released new reusable Christmas shopping bags.

The bags were designed to be reused as wrapping paper for Christmas gifts and is being sold for just 25 cents!

However, the new offer had customers up in arms recently due to a flaw they’ve noticed in the bags.

The supermarket chain is facing a wave of customer dissatisfaction over what many are calling a 'major flaw' in its new reusable Woolworths Christmas Paper Shopping Bag.

The festive paper bags, which were introduced last month, have been criticised for their lack of durability, with numerous customers reporting that the bags rip and tear easily.

SDC Images (8).png
Woolworths' new shopping bags are being criticised by shoppers. Image source: Woolworths.

The supermarket giant has assured customers that these bags have been tested to carry up to 6kg without breaking.

However, several shoppers have taken to social media to share their experiences of the bags failing to live up to this promise. One customer claimed that her bag broke before she had even left the store despite only carrying three light items.

'Hey Woolworths, do you know what else is good for the environment and avoiding waste?' the shopper said.

'Not selling paper bags that are not fit for purpose. Two loaves of bread and six bread rolls, and your paper bag falls apart before I even exit the self-service checkout. DO BETTER.'

Another customer shared a photo of his broken bag on a footpath, showing how his groceries had spilled onto the pavement.

The father-of-two claimed that a Woolworths checkout worker had overloaded his shopping bag, leading to its failure.

'Got to love Woolworths and their st***d paper bags and overloading them. At least once a shop, a bag will rip—normally breaking something you just bought,' he shared.

'Cheers, Woolies. Guess that’s one way to make people spend more. Charge for bags, overload them, then make people buy things twice!'

The issue has sparked a broader conversation about the supermarket's bagging practices and the quality of its reusable bags. Many customers have expressed their agreement with the complaints, sharing their own experiences of bag failures.

'This is happening to a lot of people at the moment with the new smaller paper bags,' one shared.

'Even after you tell them “Don’t load the bags, I’ll buy more”, they look at you…and load [them] right up,' another added.

While a third commented: 'Literally just happened to us too.'

While some suggested to the dad to just bring his own bags, he responded: 'I’ve bought bags from them that should be sound to hold the products you buy from them.'

'If you’ve got time and the brain capacity to remember your own bags. Great, good for you, but I don’t.'

In response to the backlash, a Woolworths spokesperson said that the Christmas bags are made from at least 70 per cent recycled paper and are the same composition as its regular paper bags. They reiterated that the bags have been tested to carry up to 6kg.
Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths is under scrutiny from customers over a significant flaw in its new reusable Woolworths Christmas Paper Shopping Bag.
  • Customers have reported that the 25-cent paper bags easily rip and tear.
  • One customer claimed that his shopping bag had been overloaded by a Woolworths checkout worker, causing it to break.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson stated that the Christmas bags are made from at least 70 per cent recycled paper and have been tested to carry up to 6kg.
What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you experienced similar problems with the new bags? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
Made from at least 70 per cent recycled paper and have been tested to carry up to 6kg

So containing 70% recycled material justifies their existence? I have two of the these from Coles, one unused. The used one I use as a multiuse garbage bag and has a 10 cm rip in it from less than 1 kg of household waste. I will use my discretion in the overuse of the word "use".

Reactions: Observer and Ricci
At a time when sustainability is a top priority, Woolworths has released new reusable Christmas shopping bags.

The bags were designed to be reused as wrapping paper for Christmas gifts and is being sold for just 25 cents!

However, the new offer had customers up in arms recently due to a flaw they’ve noticed in the bags.

The supermarket chain is facing a wave of customer dissatisfaction over what many are calling a 'major flaw' in its new reusable Woolworths Christmas Paper Shopping Bag.

The festive paper bags, which were introduced last month, have been criticised for their lack of durability, with numerous customers reporting that the bags rip and tear easily.

View attachment 36526
Woolworths' new shopping bags are being criticised by shoppers. Image source: Woolworths.

The supermarket giant has assured customers that these bags have been tested to carry up to 6kg without breaking.

However, several shoppers have taken to social media to share their experiences of the bags failing to live up to this promise. One customer claimed that her bag broke before she had even left the store despite only carrying three light items.

'Hey Woolworths, do you know what else is good for the environment and avoiding waste?' the shopper said.

'Not selling paper bags that are not fit for purpose. Two loaves of bread and six bread rolls, and your paper bag falls apart before I even exit the self-service checkout. DO BETTER.'

Another customer shared a photo of his broken bag on a footpath, showing how his groceries had spilled onto the pavement.

The father-of-two claimed that a Woolworths checkout worker had overloaded his shopping bag, leading to its failure.

'Got to love Woolworths and their st***d paper bags and overloading them. At least once a shop, a bag will rip—normally breaking something you just bought,' he shared.

'Cheers, Woolies. Guess that’s one way to make people spend more. Charge for bags, overload them, then make people buy things twice!'

The issue has sparked a broader conversation about the supermarket's bagging practices and the quality of its reusable bags. Many customers have expressed their agreement with the complaints, sharing their own experiences of bag failures.

'This is happening to a lot of people at the moment with the new smaller paper bags,' one shared.

'Even after you tell them “Don’t load the bags, I’ll buy more”, they look at you…and load [them] right up,' another added.

While some suggested to the dad to just bring his own bags, he responded: 'I’ve bought bags from them that should be sound to hold the products you buy from them.'

'If you’ve got time and the brain capacity to remember your own bags. Great, good for you, but I don’t.'

In response to the backlash, a Woolworths spokesperson said that the Christmas bags are made from at least 70 per cent recycled paper and are the same composition as its regular paper bags. They reiterated that the bags have been tested to carry up to 6kg.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths is under scrutiny from customers over a significant flaw in its new reusable Woolworths Christmas Paper Shopping Bag.
  • One customer claimed that his shopping bag had been overloaded by a Woolworths checkout worker, causing it to break.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson stated that the Christmas bags are made from at least 70 per cent recycled paper and have been tested to carry up to 6kg.
What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you experienced similar problems with the new bags? Share your experiences in the comments below.
A better idea is to away with the shopping bags and customers can bring their own bags

A better idea is to away with the shopping bags and customers can bring their own bags
That would stop all the complaints about paper bags, which I’ve never had a problem with! Then everyone would complain about lack off bags at supermarkets. I remember when Spotlight tried to get rid of plastic bags the staff told me they were being abused by people who were about my age. I was totally disgusted.

View attachment 36526

Key Takeaways

How sad for the poor man who doesn't have the time to remember his own paper bags!!!
Oh and he also mentioned he didn't have the brain power to remember.
No need to tell us that mate we can figure that out ourselves from your stupid comments.
Really, doesn't have time to remember???
Wonder he had time to remember to go shopping.

• Haha
Reactions: NotNats and Macarj
Agree these bags are not strong enough. And forget trying to take chilled goods home in them. Between putting them in my car and taking them out at home, the damp caused by the condensation causes the paper to “melt” and I then have to find another bag to transport them into my home

How sad for the poor man who doesn't have the time to remember his own paper bags!!!
No need to tell us that mate we can figure that out ourselves from your stupid comments.
I had to think about that.

Actually, I still am!

Reactions: Observer
When WW decided they were going to charge me for bags for my groceries I decided to make my own. Fully reusable. Totally washable.
I refuse to pay any supermarket for the service which for the life of supermarkets in this country has been free - either paper bags (which we used to cover our school books) or plastic bags (which I used to put my rubbish in so was reusable).
Wake up supermarkets. Your service has declined in proportion to the rise in cost for this service.

View attachment 36526

Key Takeaways

To be fair, paper bags from IGA and Spar stores are exactly the same. The manufacturer needs to step up.

Now now

Wonder he had time to remember to go

• Haha
Reactions: NotNats

View attachment 36526

Key Takeaways

Only answer is to bring your own bags I suppose

I was recently in Woolies and a customer said "she didn't want the paper bags as they rip too easy." The girl behind the checkout said "no they don't I should know I pack them every day". The woman said they are crap and they break. The girl argued with the woman while there were a few people waiting to go through her checkout. In the end the woman said we are customers and you shouldn't be arguing with us. I had to agree with her. Yes some of the bags are cr*p and the girl serving should not have been arguing with the customer