Major cyber attack compromises 13 million Aussies' personal data

In an age where our personal and health information is increasingly digitised, the security of this data is paramount.

However, the unsettling reality of our interconnected world has once again been brought to the forefront, as a staggering 12.9 million Australians have fallen victim to a significant cyber attack.

The breach, which targeted electronic prescriptions provider MediSecure, resulted in a malicious third-party actor uploading a vast amount of sensitive data to the dark web.

The gravity of the situation became apparent to MediSecure on 13 April when signs of ransomware were detected on a database server housing personal and health information.

The cyber attack was publicly acknowledged in May.

The breach affected individuals who utilised MediSecure's prescription delivery service from March 2019 to November 2023, and the stolen data amounts to 6.5 terabytes.

1721343826020.png
A cyber attack on MediSecure has compromised the personal and health information of up to 12.9 million Australians. Credit: Shutterstock

The compromised information is extensive and deeply personal, encompassing names, dates of birth, addresses, phone numbers, Medicare numbers, prescription details, and the reasons for the medication.

MediSecure is reviewing the exposed data set on the dark web to identify and notify those impacted by the breach.

With National Cyber Security Coordinator Lieutenant General Michelle McGuinness at the helm, the federal government has urged the public not to seek out or access the stolen information.

‘No one should go looking for or access stolen sensitive or personal information from the dark web,’ he said.

‘This activity only feeds the business model of cyber criminals and can be a criminal offence.’

‘I understand many Australians will be concerned about the scale of this breach. I encourage everyone, whether impacted in this incident or not, to be alert to being targeted in scams.’

Lt McGuinness has also called for heightened vigilance against scams, recognising the widespread concern this breach has caused among Australians.

MediSecure, one of two ePrescription delivery services until late 2023, lost its government contract to Fred IT Group’s eRx Script Exchange.

Following this, MediSecure appointed liquidators and entered administration in June. It is no longer part of Australia's digital health network.

The government has assured the public that the national prescription delivery service, eRx, remains unaffected by this cyber incident.

‘Consumers can continue to access medicines safely, and healthcare providers can still prescribe and dispense as usual,’ it stated.

In related news, Russian hackers have infiltrated ZircoDATA, a data firm connected to over 200 Australian companies and government agencies, leaking sensitive documents.

Tens of thousands of Australians' personal information has been auctioned on the dark web following the cyberattack. For more details, click here.
Key Takeaways
  • Up to 12.9 million Australians' personal and health information has been compromised in a significant cyber attack on MediSecure.
  • The breach was identified on 13 April following the discovery of suspected ransomware but was only publicly confirmed by MediSecure in May.
  • This cyber breach resulted in the theft and upload of sensitive data to the dark web, including names, birth dates, addresses, and medical information.
  • The federal government and cyber security authorities are advising Australians to be vigilant against scams and are working to address the consequences of the security breach.
Have you or someone you know been affected by this cyber attack? What measures are you taking to protect your data? We’d love to hear your thoughts and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
And now one's landline is connected to the modem, by the decree of the NBN courtesy of ATT and Telstra, from what my landline telephone provider told when they cut off my previous modem so I had to fork out another $129 to "upgrade" my modem to meet the NBN's new requirements. That is ridiculous, as if the power goes down etc etc........... bring back copper wire! Or am I supposed to use treacle tins attached by a tight piece of string in an emergency?
If the power goes down don't you have a back up battery to be able to use the phone?

keep cash but also needed medication for my 100 yr old mum could not get it. technology shits
So don't leave it till the last minute to get the medication. Don't you people plan for issues like this? Your car may not start, the bus may not come, there could be a power outage, the chemist maybe shut because they were robbed, numerous issues can arise so PLAN FOR THEM.

So don't leave it till the last minute to get the medication. Don't you people plan for issues like this? Your car may not start, the bus may not come, there could be a power outage, the chemist maybe shut because they were robbed, numerous issues can arise so PLAN FOR THEM.
I don't usually but the script for my mum calls for 4 a day. The script only gives her 100. She had been in hospital and changed her medication. Yesterday was the first time I could get a repeat. All other scripts I have one month in front all the time.

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
These are 2 different issues. The attack on Medisecure happened in April/May. The problem today was not a cyber attack. It was something to do with updating part of the global security system when the software apparently read the upgrade as a potential attack & shut down to protect users.
Yes - Cloudstrike Blue screen - I get ACSC alerts when these things happen and they have a work around to fix the issues - so things will get back to normal pretty quickly.

Well I have NBN and there is a phone and a back up battery so the phone can be used during power outages.
As long as the backup battery powers the modem you have your landline for 5 hours. I recall that once upon a time a mere 30 years ago that I did not need a back up battery that lasted a mere 5 hours and every couple of years cost me $60-70 to replace, and that my fax machine sent a handwritten message through a lot faster than I can type on a keyboard. That was when technology made sense. And the various professional programs I use for work and analysis of information worked just as fast as they do now and in Windows 3.0 on a 486 computer, including a 486 laptop and on a Pentium 1 using 32 megabytes of RAM and 4 gigabyte hard drive; that was a computer as fast as my present laptop. Since the then world has gone completely nuts.

As long as the backup battery powers the modem you have your landline for 5 hours. I recall that once upon a time a mere 30 years ago that I did not need a back up battery that lasted a mere 5 hours and every couple of years cost me $60-70 to replace, and that my fax machine sent a handwritten message through a lot faster than I can type on a keyboard. That was when technology made sense. And the various professional programs I use for work and analysis of information worked just as fast as they do now and in Windows 3.0 on a 486 computer, including a 486 laptop and on a Pentium 1 using 32 megabytes of RAM and 4 gigabyte hard drive; that was a computer as fast as my present laptop. Since the then world has gone completely nuts.
I only have a mobile phone

I only have a mobile phone
Yes; when all else fails and as long as your battery lasts and the mobile phone towers presumably have power and don't fall over. That was the problem with treacle tins attached by tight string; the string would burn during a bush fire..........Unreliable stuff, string.

• Love
These are 2 different issues. The attack on Medisecure happened in April/May. The problem today was not a cyber attack. It was something to do with updating part of the global security system when the software apparently read the upgrade as a potential attack & shut down to protect users.
Quite right - these are 2 different issues