Major banks under scrutiny after 61-year-old loses $10000 to overseas hackers

It's never easy to experience loss, but it's all the more devastating when we are also taken advantage of in such difficult times.

Unfortunately, that happened to 61-year-old Richard (full name withheld for privacy reasons) from Canberra when he was dealing with his late wife's estate.

As if the day as a whole wasn't already trying enough, it got worse when two text messages arrived to alert Richard that both his bank accounts had been compromised and fraudulent activity had been detected.

He logged in to his ANZ and Great Southern Bank accounts to find that a heart-stopping $5,000 had been taken from each account in separate transactions.

'That created a fair bit of angst for me,' he told a media source. 'I was going through a fair bit of stress anyway with my wife passing away, I was at my lowest.'

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 10.08.20 AM.png
Canberra resident loses $5,000 to overseas hackers, warns others to stay vigilant. Credit: Shutterstock.

Unfortunately, unlike Great Southern Bank, ANZ said they would not be able to do anything until the transactions had cleared since they were still pending.

'I just had to grin and bear it,' Richard said. 'They stayed pending for five days. All I could do was wait until the funds left my account. I went back and forth with ANZ for the whole five days.'

One ANZ staff member even said they couldn't block the transaction because they 'couldn't disadvantage the merchant'.

To add insult to injury, Richard could see the money being sent to someone in Kuwait.

'It was pretty much six weeks of hell,' he recalled. 'I kept logging into my bank. Eventually, it went from pending to out of my account altogether.'

To make a long story short, Richard eventually gained reimbursement for the money stolen from him by cybercriminals after six weeks, but the whole experience of not understanding how or why continues to hang over him to this day.

'The bank couldn’t tell me how it happened. It has impacted the way I behave during the day,' he said.

'I check my bank accounts every couple of hours. Every phone call I get is suspicious. Last night, I got one from an energy company. Everything is suspicious.'

Key Takeaways

• A 61-year-old Canberra man lost over $10,000 in fraudulent transactions from his accounts at Great Southern Bank and ANZ.
  • While Great Southern Bank stopped the transactions immediately, ANZ could only recover his money once the transaction cleared and stayed pending for five days.
  • He was eventually fully reimbursed, but the distressing experience has led him to check his bank accounts every couple of hours and be wary of the phone calls he receives.

Unfortunately, Richard's situation is not unique, as there have been similar cases of fraud reported in the past.

Recently, there was an Australian couple, Peter and Kay Shaw, whose dream trip to Europe turned into a nightmare when they discovered fraudulent activity on their credit card. They had travelled to Europe in May and encountered trouble when their flight out of Lisbon, Portugal, was cancelled.

'We had to make some alternative accommodation arrangements which we did through Booking.com,' Mr Shaw told a news source.

'Within a very short period of time, I got a message saying there were suspicious charges on my account.'

Screen Shot 2023-07-24 at 10.08.30 AM.png
An Australian couple's dream trip to Europe turned into a 'nightmare' as a fraudster racked up $5000 in unauthorised credit card transactions. Credit: Shutterstock.

Worried about this, he checked his bank account and found three transactions totalling nearly $5000 on his credit card balance. These unauthorised charges were made on Booking.com in Amsterdam, which was about 2200 kilometres away from where the couple was at that time.

Mr Shaw faced significant difficulties while attempting to get his fraudulent expenses refunded from Booking.com.

'People need to be very wary. If they are owed money, they will have an absolute nightmare getting it back from Booking.com,' he said.

Initially, Mr Shaw struggled to find a reliable point of contact, and even when he managed to get in touch through an Australian phone number, it didn't lead to any resolution.

To address the issue, he turned to Booking.com's online chat services. Unfortunately, this only led to a frustrating cycle where he had to repeat his situation to different staff members every time he reached out to inquire about the progress.

They requested that he provide his credit card statement multiple times, which he dutifully did, but the situation remained unresolved.

In his interview with news.com.au, Mr Shaw shared that his credit statement still showed a negative balance. However, since then, there has been a positive update, as Booking.com eventually reimbursed him for the stolen funds.

Members, these stories are a stark reminder to be alert and vigilant when it comes to our personal finances. Cyber fraud is becoming more and more complicated, sophisticated, and hard to detect, so it's paramount that we stay up to date on newer security technologies and tools whenever possible.

We must do our best to protect ourselves and remain aware of the danger of cyber fraud that lurks out there. Not only should you take extra precautions when it comes to banking, but also keep the basics such as having strong passwords, updating your antivirus software regularly, or double-checking charges and purchases frequently in mind.

Remember, if you ever suspect fraudulent activity in your accounts, inform your bank immediately and ensure that you do what you can to get an appropriate resolution. And, most importantly, never give any personal information or money to anyone without double-checking!

What are your thoughts on these stories? Have you ever experienced something similar? If so, how did you handle the situation? Feel free to share your experiences with us by leaving a comment below!

Sponsored
It's never easy to experience loss, but it's all the more devastating when we are also taken advantage of in such difficult times.

Unfortunately, that happened to 61-year-old Richard (full name withheld for privacy reasons) from Canberra when he was dealing with his late wife's estate.

As if the day as a whole wasn't already trying enough, it got worse when two text messages arrived to alert Richard that both his bank accounts had been compromised and fraudulent activity had been detected.

He logged in to his ANZ and Great Southern Bank accounts to find that a heart-stopping $5,000 had been taken from each account in separate transactions.

'That created a fair bit of angst for me,' he told a media source. 'I was going through a fair bit of stress anyway with my wife passing away, I was at my lowest.'

View attachment 25753
Canberra resident loses $5,000 to overseas hackers, warns others to stay vigilant. Credit: Shutterstock.

Unfortunately, unlike Great Southern Bank, ANZ said they would not be able to do anything until the transactions had cleared since they were still pending.

'I just had to grin and bear it,' Richard said. 'They stayed pending for five days. All I could do was wait until the funds left my account. I went back and forth with ANZ for the whole five days.'

One ANZ staff member even said they couldn't block the transaction because they 'couldn't disadvantage the merchant'.

To add insult to injury, Richard could see the money being sent to someone in Kuwait.

'It was pretty much six weeks of hell,' he recalled. 'I kept logging into my bank. Eventually, it went from pending to out of my account altogether.'

To make a long story short, Richard eventually gained reimbursement for the money stolen from him by cybercriminals after six weeks, but the whole experience of not understanding how or why continues to hang over him to this day.

'The bank couldn’t tell me how it happened. It has impacted the way I behave during the day,' he said.

'I check my bank accounts every couple of hours. Every phone call I get is suspicious. Last night, I got one from an energy company. Everything is suspicious.'

Key Takeaways

• A 61-year-old Canberra man lost over $10,000 in fraudulent transactions from his accounts at Great Southern Bank and ANZ.
  • While Great Southern Bank stopped the transactions immediately, ANZ could only recover his money once the transaction cleared and stayed pending for five days.
  • He was eventually fully reimbursed, but the distressing experience has led him to check his bank accounts every couple of hours and be wary of the phone calls he receives.

Unfortunately, Richard's situation is not unique, as there have been similar cases of fraud reported in the past.

Recently, there was an Australian couple, Peter and Kay Shaw, whose dream trip to Europe turned into a nightmare when they discovered fraudulent activity on their credit card. They had travelled to Europe in May and encountered trouble when their flight out of Lisbon, Portugal, was cancelled.

'We had to make some alternative accommodation arrangements which we did through Booking.com,' Mr Shaw told a news source.

'Within a very short period of time, I got a message saying there were suspicious charges on my account.'

View attachment 25754
An Australian couple's dream trip to Europe turned into a 'nightmare' as a fraudster racked up $5000 in unauthorised credit card transactions. Credit: Shutterstock.

Worried about this, he checked his bank account and found three transactions totalling nearly $5000 on his credit card balance. These unauthorised charges were made on Booking.com in Amsterdam, which was about 2200 kilometres away from where the couple was at that time.

Mr Shaw faced significant difficulties while attempting to get his fraudulent expenses refunded from Booking.com.

'People need to be very wary. If they are owed money, they will have an absolute nightmare getting it back from Booking.com,' he said.

Initially, Mr Shaw struggled to find a reliable point of contact, and even when he managed to get in touch through an Australian phone number, it didn't lead to any resolution.

To address the issue, he turned to Booking.com's online chat services. Unfortunately, this only led to a frustrating cycle where he had to repeat his situation to different staff members every time he reached out to inquire about the progress.

They requested that he provide his credit card statement multiple times, which he dutifully did, but the situation remained unresolved.

In his interview with news.com.au, Mr Shaw shared that his credit statement still showed a negative balance. However, since then, there has been a positive update, as Booking.com eventually reimbursed him for the stolen funds.

Members, these stories are a stark reminder to be alert and vigilant when it comes to our personal finances. Cyber fraud is becoming more and more complicated, sophisticated, and hard to detect, so it's paramount that we stay up to date on newer security technologies and tools whenever possible.

We must do our best to protect ourselves and remain aware of the danger of cyber fraud that lurks out there. Not only should you take extra precautions when it comes to banking, but also keep the basics such as having strong passwords, updating your antivirus software regularly, or double-checking charges and purchases frequently in mind.

Remember, if you ever suspect fraudulent activity in your accounts, inform your bank immediately and ensure that you do what you can to get an appropriate resolution. And, most importantly, never give any personal information or money to anyone without double-checking!

What are your thoughts on these stories? Have you ever experienced something similar? If so, how did you handle the situation? Feel free to share your experiences with us by leaving a comment below!
I have heard this same conversation from several friends, all negative towards the ANZ. Other banks respond immediately and in the customer’s favour but not ANZ. I have switched most of my banking away from them due to their poor customer service.

A weird transaction happened a few months ago through NAB. I have 2 linked accounts one of which only I can access via internet banking only, but can freely move funds to & from this account from my other “normal” everyday account. Each of my adult children are linked to my everyday account & have been so for decades. My interstate son called me to ask why I had transferred a large sum to his account… which so had not done. The weird thing is it had been transferred from my “safe” account which supposedly cannot happen. To this day NAB cannot or will not say how this occurred, the issue has been resolved & the money returned via NAB to my account…. But not before every cent of the transfer was withdrawn from my son’s account in multiple transactions (12 to be precise) via PAYPAL!!!
Both of our accounts were blocked for an irritating amount of time with no feedback from NAB as to what was going on & as I said at the beginning… we have never been able to discover how this transaction happened from NAB… or why alarm bells did not go off at their end when such a large sum was moved directly from a “Secure” account.

View attachment 25753

Key Takeaways

View attachment 25754

We are EXTREMELY sceptical of just about everything. We never used to be but all this hacking and dishonesty going on now has made us this way. So sad 😞

I have heard this same conversation from several friends, all negative towards the ANZ. Other banks respond immediately and in the customer’s favour but not ANZ. I have switched most of my banking away from them due to their poor customer service.
The Commonwealth Bank is the same, have to wait till its been processed before they will do anything about it.......

View attachment 25753

Key Takeaways

View attachment 25754

Scammers make me so damn angry 😡 what gives them the right to take other people’s hard earned money, same goes for all out there that think it’s okay to take something that doesn’t belong to them that they didn’t work for or pay for, I’ve only got one thing to say………. KEEP YOUR GRUBBY HANDS OFF OF THINGS THAT DON’T BELONG TO YOU!!!

I booked accommodation in the U.K. through Booking.com. Flight details changed and I was leaving one day less. Contacted booking.com by email as you do. No response. I rang them out of desperation and got a fast talking person of a different tongue and every time I explained I needed one night LESS, the price went up $100? As true as I write, I was going to pay $1700 instead of original amount of $1300. My last words to her were Cancel this booking right now or I am onto the media! She cancelled it forewith. I contacted hotel ,direct, and got a good deal. Booking.com is a pain.

So far I have had no problems with Booking.com but did you know their head office is in the Netherlands

View attachment 25753

Key Takeaways

View attachment 25754

I used Booking.com once earlier this year . When I got to the hotel to check in Booking. com had booked me in on the following day staying 3nights, whereas I booked for the previous day for one night. I had the printout showing the date I had booked. The attendant said not to worry they didn't like Booking. com as they were forever making mistakes. I certainly won't be using them again.

The scammers are everywhere, they come in different ways I got a message from a friend in the USA whose wife is very ill and in a wheel chair. he asked for $2,000 and the best way to send it immediately was by getting Apple gift cards and sending him the bar code numbers. I then contacted him again on the private facebook line and he said "Yes his wife is very ill and needs medical attention and he had no way of paying for it. I went to Officeworks, got $2,000 in gift cards, and sent him the numbers. Next day a lovely thankyou and could I send more, so I sent another $500, suddenly my Facebook account was hacked, and I got hundreds of junk emails. Great Southern bank notified me within 4 hours to say someone had tried to withdraw money from my account and to change my password on everything that has a password. On reading the gift card from Apple it says only valid in Australia so I contacted them immediately, their response was " nothing they can do.......