Vella Gonzaga

Vella Gonzaga

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 23, 2021
Mail deliveries

compressed-Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 10.19.21 AM.jpeg
Image credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Remember when writing a letter was the primary means of communication in Australia? Back in the day, people wrote letters in cursive, slapped a 5-cent stamp on the envelope, and waited eagerly for the postie's arrival with a joyful whistle. Those were the good old days. It's a different world now, with most mail consisting of bills and parcels. Did you use to write letters every week back then? Share your memories of the good old snail mail days!

I had two penpals growing up but sadly when I got a boyfriend it gradually stopped. I sometimes wonder where they now are and wished I had continued writing to them.

I remember growing up our postman rode a bush bike with a large brown leather bag over his shoulder and a hat similar to what bus drivers wore. We knew when he was around, he would blow his whistle.
Everyone knew his first name , I think it was Percy . I also remember nan giving him freshly baked cakes and biscuits and at Christmas a card with a little bit of money in it

Reactions: Gsr
On my birthday back in England I would eagerly await the postman, the excitement when he dropped my cards through the letterbox in the front door, I usually got around 8 cards they were perfumed and some opened up to make the cut out objects stand out, and some even had SIXPENCE taped to the card. The joys of being a child, it’s my 72 birthday next week maybe I’ll get 2 phone calls from my boys but the joy and excitement has all but gone. X

Reactions: Big sister and Gsr
I had pen pals from Australia and overseas and wrote and received many letters from about 8 years old until I was married. i don’t really know why it stopped, I know a young man from Germany I wrote to had to go into the army at 18 and was no longer allowed to write to me. We had been penpals for many years. I still remember his name, it was Henry Stolarek. He wrote in English. We used to send postcards of different scenery from our country to each other, and exchange a small gift at Christmas. I still write to my grandchildren regularly and draw stick figure pictures for them of what we have been doing. Most of them are teenagers now and they only live an hours drive away, but they love receiving a letter. I send them Easter and christmas cards. Our 18 year old grandson lives with us and I post him cards at Easter and Christmas as well. He asked me why, I told him I do it for all my grandchildren, just because he lives with us is no reason why I shouldn’t post him a card. I write to a couple of older aunts, one is now in a nursing home, I write to her fortnightly. Staff probably read the letter to her, but she still has the joy of getting mail. I write in cards with bright cheery pictures on them. Two small girls who lived across the road from us then moved away now write us letters several times a year, so I also write to them every month and post them little surprises a couple of times a year. They used to love coming over to our house to pat the cat, pick flowers and watch our fish. Writing and receiving letters is such fun, it is a shame it is becoming a lost part of our lives.

Back in 1963 in Melbourne, the postie would come around on his red bicycle. Postage was I think was about 3 to 4 pence. BTW hate to know how much that property in the photo would be worth today!!

Reactions: Wandiwa
Mail deliveries

View attachment 34886
Image credits: Facebook/Australia Remember When

Remember when writing a letter was the primary means of communication in Australia? Back in the day, people wrote letters in cursive, slapped a 5-cent stamp on the envelope, and waited eagerly for the postie's arrival with a joyful whistle. Those were the good old days. It's a different world now, with most mail consisting of bills and parcels. Did you use to write letters every week back then? Share your memories of the good old snail mail days!
I remember TWO deliveries each week day and one on Saturday morning!

On my birthday back in England I would eagerly await the postman, the excitement when he dropped my cards through the letterbox in the front door, I usually got around 8 cards they were perfumed and some opened up to make the cut out objects stand out, and some even had SIXPENCE taped to the card. The joys of being a child, it’s my 72 birthday next week maybe I’ll get 2 phone calls from my boys but the joy and excitement has all but gone. X
HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR NEXT WEEK JOANY.

Reactions: joany