Macquarie Bank clients have a few days left to adapt to major 'digital only' overhaul

As the digital age continues to reshape our daily lives, Macquarie Bank is leading a significant shift in the banking industry, urging its customers to brace for a 'digital only' future.

With just three days remaining until pivotal changes take effect, Macquarie Bank clients are encouraged to act swiftly to ensure a smooth transition.

Macquarie Bank's decision last year to phase out cash and cheque payments reflects a broader trend of customers embracing digital transactions over traditional banking methods.

From 20 May, the bank's customers will face a new reality where over-the-counter services and ordering new chequebooks at Macquarie offices will no longer be available.

shutterstock_2400442993.jpg
Macquarie Bank customers only have a few days left before it goes completely digital. Credit: Shutterstock

By 1 November, further changes will come into play, including the inability to write or deposit personal cheques, request or deposit bank cheques, or make super contributions or payments via cheques.

Moreover, Macquarie's partnership with National Australia Bank (NAB) branches will conclude, eliminating the option to deposit cash or cheques over the counter at NAB.

However, customers with a Macquarie Transaction or Offset account equipped with a Macquarie Debit Mastercard will retain the convenience of withdrawing cash at ATMs.

The digital payment landscape offers a variety of methods to cater to different needs.

BPAY, which means ‘bill payments’, is a staple for online bill payments. It requires a biller code and customer reference number, both typically found on the bill you wish to pay.

Electronic funds transfer (EFT) is ideal for one-off payments, requiring a BSB, account number, and account name.

Direct debit is the go-to method for recurring bills, such as gym memberships, as it automates the transfer of funds between accounts.

Lastly, PayID offers a swift way to pay someone using their phone number, provided the recipient has set up PayID through their bank's app.

Businesses must ensure that their payers, clients, and other entities they interact with are ready to transact digitally.

‘If your payers, clients, and other businesses you work with aren’t set up to pay you digitally, please prompt them to get started now,’ Macquarie said.

New customers opening a Macquarie account on or after May 20 can still utilise cash and cheque deposit services at NAB branches or request a bank cheque until 1 November, when these services will be discontinued.

Macquarie Bank championed digital banking as a 'safe, quick, and more convenient' method of transaction.

‘As a digital bank, we’re committed to transitioning to completely digital payments and continuing to ensure our customers can access secure and reliable digital payment options,’ Macquarie said.

This transformation aligns with the strategies of other major banks, such as ANZ, Commonwealth Bank, and NAB, which have already begun phasing out cheques.

Bankwest is also transitioning to a digital bank this year, planning to close 45 branches in Western Australia by October.

Despite some backlash, these banks cite customer preferences as the driving force behind the move, with 97 per cent of transactions completed digitally and less than 2 per cent of customers visiting branches regularly.

The Reserve Bank of Australia's data reflects this shift, showing a dramatic decrease in cash usage for day-to-day payments.

In 2019, cash accounted for 27 per cent of in-person transactions, but by 2022, this figure had more than halved to just 13 per cent.

ATM usage has also declined since 2008, with the number and value of withdrawals dropping by about 60 per cent and 40 per cent, respectively.

Interestingly, there has been a slight resurgence in cash withdrawals, with the RBA's Retail Payments report revealing a 9.5 per cent growth rate in ATM withdrawals in February 2024 compared to the previous year.
Key Takeaways

• Macquarie Bank is moving towards a fully digital payment system, phasing out cash and cheque services for its customers starting May 20.
  • Customers will need to adopt alternative digital payment methods for transactions, such as BPAY, EFT, direct debit, and PayID.
  • The transition reflects a broader trend among Australian banks and consumer habits, with a significant decline in using cash and ATMs for day-to-day payments.
  • Although there has been a recent slight resurgence in ATM withdrawals, the overall movement is towards digital banking, with other major banks like ANZ, Commonwealth Bank, NAB, and Bankwest also transitioning away from physical banking services.
How do you feel about the move towards a cashless society? Are you ready for the shift, or do you have reservations? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
It's sad this is happening, I have a friend that draws money out from her bank as she refuses to use her card at any venues she always pays cash. But I'm worried what will happen when some places go card only as she has never used hers only at the atm or in the bank

Reactions: IAN3005
Wow, look at all the people living in the 60's here. Get with the times.

Macq bank is not a retail bank, they are an Investment Bank. There are around 100 of them in Australia and most if not all DO NOT TOUCH CASH. This has been the case for decades.

All you people fall for the media hype, "Bank going cashless", boohoo. Fact is they would have had very, very few customers wanting cash transactions, it's a bank more for the wealthy and they understand the convenience of no cash and electronic banking.

And to the nutters who think this is about control.......OMG, paranoid delusional thinking. Customers have created this, if people are not going to branches they close them, if ATM's aren't used they close, it makes business sense to not have a branch/ATM losing money. Would any of you run a business that loses money? Would you open 5 hairdressers and have one losing money constantly AND keeping it open? What's the point of that. Obviously none of you have business sense at all. Control - the government is not interested in when you go to Coles or Woolies, they are not going to stop you buying things. Do any of you understand how an economy works? The government wants people to buy, to have jobs, etc. Controlling that would mean certain death at the next election. You people are a bunch of nutters. If they wanted to stop you buying or control what you buy they can do that using legislation, write the correct laws to stop trading at certain hours, or restrict buying amounts, pass it though Parliament. Of course that would not happen, the same as they are not going to do it electronically.

Banks that have branches in shopping centres like Westfields are kept open, many are still having refurbishments, getting newer ATMs because that's where the people are. Yes banks want to make profits, they are a business, they are not a charity, if you don't like what a bank does move to another one which does do what you want, plenty out there. I haven't seen the inside of a branch for years, can't remember the last time I went in, there is just no need anymore for the vast majority of people.

It's sad this is happening, I have a friend that draws money out from her bank as she refuses to use her card at any venues she always pays cash. But I'm worried what will happen when some places go card only as she has never used hers only at the atm or in the bank
Go to the Post Office

It;s simply a cost savings plan, they want to reduce their overheads (no staff to pay or buildings to maintain) which ultimately reduces their running costs which increases their already swelling profit margins. Simple really but if you are a customer it's positively inconvenient to say the least.

Reactions: Jules1
Wow, look at all the people living in the 60's here. Get with the times.

Macq bank is not a retail bank, they are an Investment Bank. There are around 100 of them in Australia and most if not all DO NOT TOUCH CASH. This has been the case for decades.

All you people fall for the media hype, "Bank going cashless", boohoo. Fact is they would have had very, very few customers wanting cash transactions, it's a bank more for the wealthy and they understand the convenience of no cash and electronic banking.

And to the nutters who think this is about control.......OMG, paranoid delusional thinking. Customers have created this, if people are not going to branches they close them, if ATM's aren't used they close, it makes business sense to not have a branch/ATM losing money. Would any of you run a business that loses money? Would you open 5 hairdressers and have one losing money constantly AND keeping it open? What's the point of that. Obviously none of you have business sense at all. Control - the government is not interested in when you go to Coles or Woolies, they are not going to stop you buying things. Do any of you understand how an economy works? The government wants people to buy, to have jobs, etc. Controlling that would mean certain death at the next election. You people are a bunch of nutters. If they wanted to stop you buying or control what you buy they can do that using legislation, write the correct laws to stop trading at certain hours, or restrict buying amounts, pass it though Parliament. Of course that would not happen, the same as they are not going to do it electronically.

Banks that have branches in shopping centres like Westfields are kept open, many are still having refurbishments, getting newer ATMs because that's where the people are. Yes banks want to make profits, they are a business, they are not a charity, if you don't like what a bank does move to another one which does do what you want, plenty out there. I haven't seen the inside of a branch for years, can't remember the last time I went in, there is just no need anymore for the vast majority of people.

Yes, I agree, it's time we set up our own "customers'" bank. That's how the Qudos bank was set up back in the 1900s, by a group of Qantas staff. They made their own rules, mainly to the benefit of their customers. However it's now only on line. Probably much harder to set up a "real" bank in a bricks and mortar building with staff to attend customers.
Here in WA I have noticed "Co Operative" (Co-Ops) of Hotels, General Stores and a Service Station in some Country Towns. Maybe go down this Path?

Agree with comments here, I'd be gone already! They obviously don't need customers & I hope every last one leaves this "bank"

No. The legal tender cash option should always be available
Once they get rid of people born 1944 they will have no problem what with the cashless society..... probably got another 8-10 years to go...

Doesn't seem to be a problem with that. Who uses an old fashioned cheque book these days anyway? 🤔

I opened a bank account 5 years ago at a branch of Westpac and have never been in a branch since. All my bills are paid online with BPAY or direct debit. Everyday things like shopping are paid by the debit card on my phone. Any online shopping I pay by PayPal. Don't need a bank or cash for anything. I get statements by email and got the banks app on my phone to check everything.

Why don't people like making things easier for themselves? Who really wants to remember every month what bill they have or haven't paid? And then some people have this mania that they want to pay it in cash just to make a point? 🙄

I'm glad I'm not still stuck in the 80's/90's like a lot of luddites.🙄 It's the 21st century. Best to keep up with modern technology as it's not going to go backwards now.
I just carry a little cash just in case

I am against it. It discriminates against the elderly like me and is therefor shameful. Luckily I am not a customer with this bank and never will be. Fritz Schuhmacher

I do feel for Aussies living in remote areas without a bank. Hopefully, they can access a post office if they stay open as well.
I know of a few elderly people can only visualize actual dollars and coins for calculating. They get their weekly cash out to spend and tally it up at the end of the week. Nothing wrong with that either.
I always have some cash and coins if needed. Phone banking for paying bills is always another way instead on online banking for people.

Reactions: JimmyFlatrock